Cannes to Nice DIY

Laura44

We are on the NCL Epic at the end of June and would love to visit Nice for the day when we are in the Cannes port. How do I find out the train schedules? Is it easier to rent a car? Will parking be difficult in Nice? How far is it to get up to Eze to enjoy the view?

If the car is too difficult, I was thinking we could take the train to Nice and potentially taxi to the old town from the train station, enjoy the flower market and shops in the old town. We plan to meet a relative for lunch around 1:30 in the old city.

We have 8 and 10 year old daughters and I was trying to figure out what else we could see and do before we need to get back to Cannes. Our ship arrives in port at 8 am and leaves at 6 pm.

Any help/ advice would be appreciated!

Laura

Do not worry about the train schedules. If they are on strike (a big problem in France this season) you are out of luck. But if they are running, this is simply a regional train (no reservations) which is like a commuter train. You just get yourself to the station (about a half hour walk from the tender pier or a few min taxi ride), buy your tickets, and wait for the next train (usually about 2 per hour).

We do a lot of independent travel in Europe...and always advise folks not to overplan. Just research all your options...and take things as they come,,,keeping your flexibility. As to Nice, you want be get there as early as possible and then head over to the Cours Selaya for the Flower Market (except on Monday's when it's an Antique market). After relaxing at the neat market place...then you can explore the adjacent old town area (our favorite part of Nice) or do anything else you please.

Hank

I agree with Hank about the trains. They run frequently. Early in the morning there may be more than two an hour.

Once you get to the Nice station, you can either take a taxi or walk to the corner and take the tram to old Nice (search this board about the tram) or walk. The tram or the walk would be along the Av. Jean Medecin which leads you to Old Nice. The Av. Medecin, most of Old Nice and the Cours Saleya are pedestrian areas.

Go to Google maps and print the walking/tram route. In that way you can keep your options open and be flexible.

Your relative can advice you about the strikes and maybe meet you in Cannes instead of Nice if necessary.

Edited by marazul

I just want to add a further specific warning about strikes in France. Under normal circumstances we are not normally very concerned about strikes because they are not very common and are usually announced well in advance. But the current political situation in France is in a high degree of turmoil (the price of democracy) which appears to be an ongoing problem that may well continue through the summer (and possibly longer). We are talking about multiple transportation strikes, airline strikes, traffic controller strikes, general strikes, etc. This seems to be how the French (and many other European countries) react to proposed policies with which they have issues.

So. anyone going to France this spring/summer should really try to keep up with the current situation (do some internet research) as it may impact your travel plans. Advance knowledge may help you make alternate plans. No knowledge may lead to some very bad days :(.

We should also mention that it is not enough to know about an upcoming strike....but its also important to determine what kind of strike. For example, you could have a one-day train strike which would stop the RER trains around Paris...but perhaps not impact the Paris Metro. Or it could be the opposite and shut down the Metro...but leave the RER (or some lines) running. You also can run into a train strike that shuts down the entire country....or maybe on one single train line! On the other hand, a strike by the French air traffic controllers can cause a real mess all over Europe.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Laura are you on the June 26 cruise? If so maybe we can take a van taxi to Nice if there's a strike. My guy and I were planning on doing the same as you, minus the relative lunch :-) are you going to the roll call meetups?

Laura are you on the June 26 cruise? If so maybe we can take a van taxi to Nice if there's a strike. My guy and I were planning on doing the same as you, minus the relative lunch :-) are you going to the roll call meetups?

Yes - we are on that cruise! I am not sure I am going to the meetups, but if there is a strike we are happy to coordinate a van with you!

feel free to email me at laura.44@verizon.net.

Make sure that you book your Cannes tenders as soon as possible. You can do it in your room on the tv - but rather than excursions I think you find them listed as entertainment.

If you do not book them, you will find you cannot get off the ship until about 11 am and that is a bit too late to get to Nice and back.

If there are strikes, you can enjoy a day in Cannes - it really is a place full of glamour. Wonderful shops, the beach (some parts are private but not all), cafes and people/car watching.