Toddlers in the Yacht Club

jewliana

We are taking our 2 grandbabies aged 3 and 1 1/2 on their first cruise and we are wondering what to pack as far as eating goes.

Do we need to pack little plastic dishes and forks and spoons or do they have kid friendly place settings?

Babies can be messy eaters...should I buy disposable place mats for the dining tables?

Any info would be so appreciated!

Thanks!

We just got off the boat today and had our 8 and just turned 3 year old in the yacht club. They are very sweet and accommodating with the little ones. I always brought a sippy cup for the little one and they happily filled it with apple juice or whatever I wanted at each meal. The disposable placemats could come in handy if you like or plastic bowl if you have a 'thrower.' I just never thought of it. They always removed the wine glasses at the kids places quickly so nothing could happen there. Dinner or lunch in Le Muse is a long time, especially if you order a lot of courses. We did not do this, but I can see how an iPad preloaded with some shows they like could come in handy. They are somewhat used to kids and keep the breadbasket coming. Restroom is right outside the restaurant by the elevator. It is fast to get to the restaurant by walking outside around the pool bar (disarrono terrace) and in the wooden door vs riding elevators.

We always took breakfast in the regular buffet. We would sleep kind of late and the kids want to shovel food in the morning vs. wait politely. Walk toward the back to get a seat at deck 14 buffet and you'll have luck. There were also a couple of nights we just had dinner there because the kids were tired from the day. There is almost always fruit and kid friendly food by the bar at the yacht club pool. It was our crew's favorite! Unsolicited pool advice; get the little kids puddle jumpers instead of blow up floaties. Works better and no worries of them drowning while you refill a drink. The hot tubs are also kept not too hot so kids can enjoy without fear of damaging their growing bodies in any way. Enjoy your trip!

We just got off the boat today and had our 8 and just turned 3 year old in the yacht club. They are very sweet and accommodating with the little ones. I always brought a sippy cup for the little one and they happily filled it with apple juice or whatever I wanted at each meal. The disposable placemats could come in handy if you like or plastic bowl if you have a 'thrower.' I just never thought of it. They always removed the wine glasses at the kids places quickly so nothing could happen there. Dinner or lunch in Le Muse is a long time, especially if you order a lot of courses. We did not do this, but I can see how an iPad preloaded with some shows they like could come in handy. They are somewhat used to kids and keep the breadbasket coming. Restroom is right outside the restaurant by the elevator. It is fast to get to the restaurant by walking outside around the pool bar (disarrono terrace) and in the wooden door vs riding elevators.

We always took breakfast in the regular buffet. We would sleep kind of late and the kids want to shovel food in the morning vs. wait politely. Walk toward the back to get a seat at deck 14 buffet and you'll have luck. There were also a couple of nights we just had dinner there because the kids were tired from the day. There is almost always fruit and kid friendly food by the bar at the yacht club pool. It was our crew's favorite! Unsolicited pool advice; get the little kids puddle jumpers instead of blow up floaties. Works better and no worries of them drowning while you refill a drink. The hot tubs are also kept not too hot so kids can enjoy without fear of damaging their growing bodies in any way. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it!

We were on the same sailing - and I agree with everything above. We had breakfast every morning at the One Pool, which was great if there was a table in the shade. They were very accommodating with any request. I did find it funny that frequently our son (almost 5) was given a 'hot milk' even though we did specify 'cold' ? Must be a European thing I guess.

I generally loathe the offerings on "kids' menus" - the one offered in Le Muse did change nightly, with a few constants. And - it did show a sparkle of sophistication (again, European influence). Warning - no kids' menu at lunch time in Le Muse. My son loved all the soups (except for the rather bizarre French Onion Soup).

I did not feel out of place having a child in the Yacht Club; there were many of them on this sailing. In general Europeans are much more comfortable dragging their kids along everywhere they go, and that attitude has trickled down to MSC. I was slightly disappointed in the kids' club. Much more used to the regimented check-in check-out procedures of NCL and/or Disney; MSC felt disorganized.

Had to look up 'puddle jumper' and I get it now. I did see one boy wearing one; have to check it out for the next trip.

We were on the same sailing - and I agree with everything above. We had breakfast every morning at the One Pool, which was great if there was a table in the shade. They were very accommodating with any request. I did find it funny that frequently our son (almost 5) was given a 'hot milk' even though we did specify 'cold' ? Must be a European thing I guess.

I generally loathe the offerings on "kids' menus" - the one offered in Le Muse did change nightly, with a few constants. And - it did show a sparkle of sophistication (again, European influence). Warning - no kids' menu at lunch time in Le Muse. My son loved all the soups (except for the rather bizarre French Onion Soup).

I did not feel out of place having a child in the Yacht Club; there were many of them on this sailing. In general Europeans are much more comfortable dragging their kids along everywhere they go, and that attitude has trickled down to MSC. I was slightly disappointed in the kids' club. Much more used to the regimented check-in check-out procedures of NCL and/or Disney; MSC felt disorganized.

Had to look up 'puddle jumper' and I get it now. I did see one boy wearing one; have to check it out for the next trip.

We are sailing in Europe in October with a 6 month old and 4 year old in the yacht club.

Really interested in hearing about the kids club for our 4 year old as she did not get on very in the etc club last year (maybe it was her age as she just turned 3)

We are sailing in Europe in October with a 6 month old and 4 year old in the yacht club.

Really interested in hearing about the kids club for our 4 year old as she did not get on very in the etc club last year (maybe it was her age as she just turned 3)

I should note that my son had no complaints about the club, it was more MY overall impression. In general we don't leave him in for longer than an hour or two at most - I take vacations to spend time WITH my family - but everyone needs a break (him included). It was only on our most recent cruise (NCL Sun in south America) that he would spend any time at a club, so the fact that he wasn't complaining to be left there was a positive.

I am very interested to hear your take on kids in the YC in Europe - we have a two week sailing booked for July 2017 on the Preziosa and I'm wondering what it will be like.

Off topic:

What sailing are you on in October??

We are taking our 2 grandbabies aged 3 and 1 1/2 on their first cruise and we are wondering what to pack as far as eating goes.

Do we need to pack little plastic dishes and forks and spoons or do they have kid friendly place settings?

Babies can be messy eaters...should I buy disposable place mats for the dining tables?

Any info would be so appreciated!

Thanks!

Please remember kids in diapers are not allowed in pools. If your kids can't use regular forks bring your own . Be ready to eat in buffet . Even if your kids fine to go in restaurants ashore dose not mean they will be fine for 2 hours dinner in DR on board. Happens to us when our DD was 1 year old. We had to give up Dr and use buffet. If you go to see shows don't go to front find seat close to exit. Don't forget food for little one. Very possible he(she) will refuse ship food.

I should note that my son had no complaints about the club, it was more MY overall impression. In general we don't leave him in for longer than an hour or two at most - I take vacations to spend time WITH my family - but everyone needs a break (him included). It was only on our most recent cruise (NCL Sun in south America) that he would spend any time at a club, so the fact that he wasn't complaining to be left there was a positive.

I am very interested to hear your take on kids in the YC in Europe - we have a two week sailing booked for July 2017 on the Preziosa and I'm wondering what it will be like.

We are on the preziosa too so will able to give you a good overview. I will post a review when we are back. I think Emilie will try the club but last year she did not get on too well in the club on rc allure - she had only turned 3 so think she may have just been a touch young. Is there anything specific you would like me to check out on preziosa?

We are on the preziosa too so will able to give you a good overview. I will post a review when we are back. I think Emilie will try the club but last year she did not get on too well in the club on rc allure - she had only turned 3 so think she may have just been a touch young. Is there anything specific you would like me to check out on preziosa?

I started another thread on this elsewhere, but I am really curious to know if smoking is an issue. i.e., if the smoking area of the YC affects the enjoyment for others.

I started another thread on this elsewhere, but I am really curious to know if smoking is an issue. i.e., if the smoking area of the YC affects the enjoyment for others.

The only place you can smoke in the Yacht Club is on the port side of deck 18 while MSC Divina sails the Caribbean,,,:)

Of course - will definitely be able to let you know about this

Yes but we are talking about the Preziosa? :)

Smoking is limited on the Divina only because she currently sails from a US port and is attuned to a non-smoking US market. When she returns to Europe in 2018 her Top Sail Lounge will again have a smoking area.

The Preziosa is currently in the Mediterranean so her lounge has the smoking area (the starboard corner). For non-smokers unless you're sitting right on the edge between the smoking and non-smoking areas, it is not a problem because the ventilation is excellent.

Obviously the same goes for the lounges on the Fantasia and the Splendida.