Check in Procedure on Jade from Venice

debx

Hi Guys

My question is for those who have previously done the Adriatic on Jade out of Venice.

As 1st time cruisers traveling with children. could you please talk me through what we need to do & what the check-in procedure is once we arrive at Piazzale Roma from the airport.

Our flight arrives at 11am and we need to be on board by 4pm. On paper this looks like plenty of time but I would like to plan & be organised to make the process as smooth & quick as possible.

Thank you

First you need to find your way to the terminal from Piazzale Roma. I prefer using taxi even though it is expensive (20e for 5-10 minute ride), but a lot cheaper option is to use the People Mover that takes you about half a mile (800m) away from the furthest terminal.

After that you give your checked luggage to the port staff (either have DIY tags already on them or get tags from the staff there, that's what we always do) and enter the terminal.

Inside, you join a line for check-in and when it's your turn, you will complete it along with taking pictures for ship's systems and setting up onboard account(s).

After check-in, you go through security screening and enter the ship through a walkway (depending on the terminal and the actual location of the ship, this can also be several hundred feet (even more than ship's length, so upto and over 300 meters)).

Edited by Demonyte

First you need to find your way to the terminal from Piazzale Roma. I prefer using taxi even though it is expensive (20e for 5-10 minute ride), but a lot cheaper option is to use the People Mover that takes you about half a mile (800m) away from the furthest terminal.

After that you give your checked luggage to the port staff (either have DIY tags already on them or get tags from the staff there, that's what we always do) and enter the terminal.

Inside, you join a line for check-in and when it's your turn, you will complete it along with taking pictures for ship's systems and setting up onboard account(s).

After check-in, you go through security screening and enter the ship through a walkway (depending on the terminal and the actual location of the ship, this can also be several hundred feet (even more than ship's length, so upto and over 300 meters)).

Wow, that seems complicated. I'm glad I asked.

Not sure what I expected, but I did think once we were at Piazzale Roma we were almost on board & taking advantage of our UBP lol :eek:

Wow, that seems complicated. I'm glad I asked.

Not sure what I expected, but I did think once we were at Piazzale Roma we were almost on board & taking advantage of our UBP lol :eek:

It's not complicated really, you will be guided through the process once you are in the port, but getting there in Venice can be a bit tricky (especially with luggage and kids) unless you go there with a private shuttle, taxi, etc.

But yes, the port is on the island before the main island where Piazzale Roma is, so it's one road bridge (not a short one like most pedestrian bridges in Venice) or People Mover ride away from Piazzale Roma.

Or just take a land taxi directly to the ship from the airport. About 45 euro and hassle free. Land taxis readily available at airport but if doing in reverse after cruise its best to pre book from ship to airport. The taxi dropped us off in front of the ship so no need to handle luggage with kids. Ship people took from there and delivered to room.

When do we find out which terminal at the port, is that like when you go to the airport & you find out from the screens there :confused:

I just asked the taxi driver to take us to the NCL Jade. It's less than half hour drive from airport. You can see it when you start getting close. We arrived about 10:30 or 11 am and were on the ship within a half hour. Check in process the easiest ever experienced. There are restroom facilities in the terminal building. There's not huge masses of people boarding just because many are on for two weeks, so figure a little over half the ship will board and debark when you do.

Or just take a land taxi directly to the ship from the airport. About 45 euro and hassle free. Land taxis readily available at airport but if doing in reverse after cruise its best to pre book from ship to airport. The taxi dropped us off in front of the ship so no need to handle luggage with kids. Ship people took from there and delivered to room.

Ah hadn't considered this option, we'd looked at the ATVO bus & had got sucked into thinking this was our best option.

We are a family of 5 so as long as they have people carrier size cars, this could be a great option if we can go directly from the airport to the ship side.

Thank you :)

Ah hadn't considered this option, we'd looked at the ATVO bus & had got sucked into thinking this was our best option.

We are a family of 5 so as long as they have people carrier size cars, this could be a great option if we can go directly from the airport to the ship side.

Thank you :)

An abundance were available. Mercedes sprinters and e320 wagons. I booked in advance for return and a sprinter returned us to airport. I think the guy who hails taxi just picks the one out of lineup that fits your family.

I would guess you should be sitting down to enjoy your UBP within an hour and half after arriving at airport.

Edited by littlelulu01

There is a much more fabulous and painless way for a party of 5. Take a Water Taxi directly from Macro Polo airport across the lagoon and directly to ship ship. Your bags will all fit in the water taxi (unlike a regular taxi 5 peoples bags won't fit). They will take you directly to the dock next to the cruise terminal and your boat. If you have time they will boat you up the Grand Canal and under the Realtio Bridge . You are in Venice and how often in life will you be in Venice! Spendy of course but what a way to wake up and experience Venice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

There is a much more fabulous and painless way for a party of 5. Take a Water Taxi directly from Macro Polo airport across the lagoon and directly to ship ship. Your bags will all fit in the water taxi (unlike a regular taxi 5 peoples bags won't fit). They will take you directly to the dock next to the cruise terminal and your boat. If you have time they will boat you up the Grand Canal and under the Realtio Bridge . You are in Venice and how often in life will you be in Venice! Spendy of course but what a way to wake up and experience Venice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for suggesting this option, I had looked into a water taxi but they did seem to take much longer & we are wanting to save the sightseeing & gondolas until the end of our cruise when we have 4 days to experience all this before we fly home.

An abundance were available. Mercedes sprinters and e320 wagons. I booked in advance for return and a sprinter returned us to airport. I think the guy who hails taxi just picks the one out of lineup that fits your family.

I would guess you should be sitting down to enjoy your UBP within an hour and half after arriving at airport.

Thank you, this is probably going to be the way we go. Have googled & can prebook a 5 seater taxi transfer for approx £40 which isn't that much more than what the bus would cost us, and it would appear to be a much simpler, smoother option for us. :)

Thank you, this is probably going to be the way we go. Have googled & can prebook a 5 seater taxi transfer for approx £40 which isn't that much more than what the bus would cost us, and it would appear to be a much simpler, smoother option for us. :)

Yes. Certainly not the romantic arrival of a water taxi but less time and hassle with the kids and luggage and less than half the cost. Since you get 4 days post cruise for Venice, you're going to have time to see it after the cruise. And you will get to see it for sail away too. have a great cruise.

Do yourselves a favour - get a (land) taxi from the airport directly to the ship terminal.

Amen to what littlelulu01 says!

At end of the cruise, since there are 5 of you and luggage, do yourselves another favour, grab a cab from ship terminal (beware, it may not be the same terminal your ship departed from!) to Piazzale Roma and then proceed to your hotel from there whatever way you wish to take. ;)

May I ask, which hotel in Venice? I might be able to help.

We were in Venice Oct 2014, and we're going back this October!

Do yourselves a favour - get a (land) taxi from the airport directly to the ship terminal.

Amen to what littlelulu01 says!

At end of the cruise, since there are 5 of you and luggage, do yourselves another favour, grab a cab from ship terminal (beware, it may not be the same terminal your ship departed from!) to Piazzale Roma and then proceed to your hotel from there whatever way you wish to take. ;)

May I ask, which hotel in Venice? I might be able to help.

We were in Venice Oct 2014, and we're going back this October!

Hope op doesn't mind, I have a couple questions. A little different than what op was asking but still transportation?'s so figure it's along the same topic. We are two adults. Loved the Jade last year so much that im returning in September with husband vs the kids for another two weeks.

Our flight arrives 23:25, night prior to sailing. From what I've read best to take water taxi at this hour to hotel. Ended up booking Bauer palazzo, which has a water taxi landing and close to St marks. Figure following afternoon will take Aluguana from st marks to ship (only one carry on luggage each). Does this sound right? I know cost after hours will be more for airport water taxi but will be on major jet lag so want least hassle and also wanted to see Venice next morning prior to boarding ship so opted out of airport hotel.

After cruise we leave via train to Florence. Wondering if pre book land taxi to mestre and board train there or do the people mover, piazza Roma and bridge to train station. I booked the 10:25am train from st Lucia but could also board it in mestre. I'm not opposed to walking but just don't want a big hassle. The people mover looked to be quite a long distance from where the Jade docked in 2015. Thanks

Hope op doesn't mind, I have a couple questions. A little different than what op was asking but still transportation?'s so figure it's along the same topic. We are two adults. Loved the Jade last year so much that im returning in September with husband vs the kids for another two weeks.

Our flight arrives 23:25, night prior to sailing. From what I've read best to take water taxi at this hour to hotel. Ended up booking Bauer palazzo, which has a water taxi landing and close to St marks. Figure following afternoon will take Aluguana from st marks to ship (only one carry on luggage each). Does this sound right? I know cost after hours will be more for airport water taxi but will be on major jet lag so want least hassle and also wanted to see Venice next morning prior to boarding ship so opted out of airport hotel.

After cruise we leave via train to Florence. Wondering if pre book land taxi to mestre and board train there or do the people mover, piazza Roma and bridge to train station. I booked the 10:25am train from st Lucia but could also board it in mestre. I'm not opposed to walking but just don't want a big hassle. The people mover looked to be quite a long distance from where the Jade docked in 2015. Thanks

Our cruise out of Venice was in Oct 2014 and we spent several days prior. We arrived by train to St. Lucia From Milan, and our hotel was across the canal from the station. On cruise day we walked with luggage to P. Roma and took cab to ship. On disembarkation we took a cab from ship terminal (plentiful so you do not need to book one. We left ship at about 9) to Mestre station to catch train back to Milan. Yes, we did book train from St. Lucia but we found it was going to be a struggle for us as we are no spring chicken. The cab to Mestre was quick (15 mins) and we were thankful - we had an hour to kill but there is a café there that we had excellent pastries and espresso!

This trip (Oct 2016) is going to be a different one. We're flying into Marco Polo this time (arriving mid afternoon) and are planning on taking the Alilaguna (please note this correct spelling) from airport to S. Zaccaria where our hotel is (Hotel Paganelli). We're there for a few days before catching Alilaguna back to airport for the flight to Barcelona where we spend a couple of nights before boarding the Jade for the pond crossing to Tampa.

We purchased the Water Bus pass in Oct 2014 and used it a lot, and we intend to do it again this time.

Our cruise out of Venice was in Oct 2014 and we spent several days prior. We arrived by train to St. Lucia From Milan, and our hotel was across the canal from the station. On cruise day we walked with luggage to P. Roma and took cab to ship. On disembarkation we took a cab from ship terminal (plentiful so you do not need to book one. We left ship at about 9) to Mestre station to catch train back to Milan. Yes, we did book train from St. Lucia but we found it was going to be a struggle for us as we are no spring chicken. The cab to Mestre was quick (15 mins) and we were thankful - we had an hour to kill but there is a café there that we had excellent pastries and espresso!

This trip (Oct 2016) is going to be a different one. We're flying into Marco Polo this time (arriving mid afternoon) and are planning on taking the Alilaguna (please note this correct spelling) from airport to S. Zaccaria where our hotel is (Hotel Paganelli). We're there for a few days before catching Alilaguna back to airport for the flight to Barcelona where we spend a couple of nights before boarding the Jade for the pond crossing to Tampa.

We purchased the Water Bus pass in Oct 2014 and used it a lot, and we intend to do it again this time.

Thanks. Always good to hear others plans. Venice sure has a lot of options with price vs ease depending on how you arrive, when you board ship and where you stay! Sounds like you have quite an adventure coming up!

We were on the Jade last month. Since we were in Venice for a day before the cruise we took the people mover from Piazza Roma to the ship. I think the people mover costs around 1.5 euros per person. It was a long walk to the ship and it was really hot. Getting on board was really easy as was the debarkation. We had a great cruise.

As others have said a land taxi is the quickest and most cost effective way to the port. Its actually an interesting drive and doesn't take too long after all you are spending time in the city at the end of your cruise so make it easy on yourselves at the beginning. We have sailed on Jade three times from venice and find taxis the easiest way, hope this helps.

As others have said a land taxi is the quickest and most cost effective way to the port. Its actually an interesting drive and doesn't take too long after all you are spending time in the city at the end of your cruise so make it easy on yourselves at the beginning. We have sailed on Jade three times from venice and find taxis the easiest way, hope this helps.

Thank you, taxi is obviously the way to go & we can prebook for us all for approx £35/£40 :):):):) One more thing sorted & crossed off my to do list x