Voom Internet Question!

I just purchased the Voom Internet package for myself for my first cruise next month. Never in the order process did they ask me for my cell phone info. The only question they asked was it for my mom or me, since our reservation number is together. How do they know when I get on my phone that I'm the one with the Internet and not my mom? When I exit the ship and access my internet and then get back on and access it again, will Voom pick it up? I don't want to get a Verizon bill in August for a high amount because RC didn't know it was my phone that purchased the Internet? I hope this makes sense. Thanks!!:)

You have to log in to the VOOM system to get access to the internet. You will get an access code when you check-in. You can use the access code on any phone you want, but only one at a time. Keep the phones in airplane mode and you won't get any charges from your cell carrier.

Edited by clarea

I was confused at first the first time I used Voom.

Tip: To login, just access any site except Google and you will be prompted with the login page. Google seemed to work even without internet subscription.

To logout, just enter in your browser "logout.com" and you will be prompted "logged out".

aqc, when I'm off the ship, do I need to log out or will it automatically log me out since I'm not on the ship anymore? Also, when the cruise is over and I'm at the hotel, will my phone automatically pick up the hotel's wifi and I won't have to worry about VOOM anymore? The same when I get home? I'm tech savvy when it comes to some things but obviously not this. My biggest concern is screwing up and getting a huge bill after my cruise. I'm sure there's tons of people on the ship that can help me if I have a question as well. I'll be wandering the halls at midnight looking for some poor soul to help me! LOL! ;)

aqc, when I'm off the ship, do I need to log out or will it automatically log me out since I'm not on the ship anymore? Also, when the cruise is over and I'm at the hotel, will my phone automatically pick up the hotel's wifi and I won't have to worry about VOOM anymore? The same when I get home? I'm tech savvy when it comes to some things but obviously not this. My biggest concern is screwing up and getting a huge bill after my cruise. I'm sure there's tons of people on the ship that can help me if I have a question as well. I'll be wandering the halls at midnight looking for some poor soul to help me! LOL! ;)

When I tried it on Allure before, it automatically logs out after 2 hours of inactivity.

I'm on Ovation now and it also said that but for the past few nights, I left it logged in and when I woke up, it was still connected.

Yes, you won't be able to connect to voom anymore outside the ship. Anyway, the package you'll be getting is only good for your cruise duration so you wont be charged after that.

Haha no need to wander the halls! Just go to guest services :)

Thanks again, aqc. Is there anything else I need to do to my phone once I get on the ship other then turn it on airplane mode? If I'm just walking around the ship, without the VOOM on, and my phone is in airplane mode while it's on, is that enough or do I need to turn something else off so I don't get hit with roaming charges?

Thanks again, aqc. Is there anything else I need to do to my phone once I get on the ship other then turn it on airplane mode? If I'm just walking around the ship, without the VOOM on, and my phone is in airplane mode while it's on, is that enough or do I need to turn something else off so I don't get hit with roaming charges?

You're very welcome.

Better switch your phone to airplane mode once you go onboard so you wont have to worry about roaming charges. After doing so, just activate your wifi to access royal internet.

As long as the only thing working is your wifi and not your cellular signal, you'll be fine :)

Edited by aqc

So my cellular signal won't work if it's on airplane mode? What about roaming charges? Is that controlled by airplane mode as well?

The whole purpose of airplane mode is to disable the device's cellular radio which, although highly unlikely, could potentially interfere with the plane's avionics. So no, you will have no cell signal in airplane mode.

Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. 1. Before I get onto the ship or when I turn my phone on when on the ship, I turn the phone onto airplane mode. 2. I follow the directions for accessing VOOM that they'll give me when I check in. 3. Now here's where I'm confused, do I stay in airplane mode once I'm logged in to the VOOM or do I disconnect it? When I'm on the ship should I always be in airplane mode or is that not possible when connected to VOOM? I don't want to get stuck with a ton of roaming charges even when I'm not connected. I hope this makes sense.

Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. 1. Before I get onto the ship or when I turn my phone on when on the ship, I turn the phone onto airplane mode. 2. I follow the directions for accessing VOOM that they'll give me when I check in. 3. Now here's where I'm confused, do I stay in airplane mode once I'm logged in to the VOOM or do I disconnect it? When I'm on the ship should I always be in airplane mode or is that not possible when connected to VOOM? I don't want to get stuck with a ton of roaming charges even when I'm not connected. I hope this makes sense.

Between #1 and #2 add "Turn on WiFi". Putting the phone in Airplane Mode turns off WiFi, so you have to turn it back on to connect to the ship's WiFi, which is called "Royal WiFi".

You can stay in Airplane Mode the entire cruise, unless you need to make or receive a phone call.

Edited by clarea

I just got back from Serenade and I bought the Voom internet package for 2 devices. I juggle between 2 smart phones and 1 laptop but I can only connect 2 devices at any given time. Technically you and your mom could share the internet package for 1 device as long as you don't use it simultaneously. 1 at a time!

Be aware that internet speeds on the ship are not comparable to the internet you have at home. Perhaps not even comparable to internet speeds of land based cellular sites. During the day you have to be *very* patient but the speed gets better later at night or in the wee hours of morning when most people are sleeping.

Yes, it is wise to put your phone on airplane/flight mode when onboard the ship. The roaming charges on the ship are even more ridiculous than regular land based roaming charges. This is because the ship will have their own network that connects via satellite to other providers which essentially means you will be roaming while roaming. Lol. I hope that made sense.

Just turn flight mode off when you see land, or when you get to port, and you will then be connected to land based operators and regular roaming rates will apply.

Thank you soooo much everyone!! So, STAY IN AIRPLANE MODE until the cruise is done or I'm on dry land and need to make a phone call and then put it back on airplane mode! I think I got this! I actually saved this whole conversation in my favorites on my phone just so I could reference it if I needed to! ;)

Be aware that internet speeds on the ship are not comparable to the internet you have at home. Perhaps not even comparable to internet speeds of land based cellular sites.

While that may be true on the Radiance which the OP will be taking, on ships with O3B internet (real VOOM), the performance is almost comparable to land based internet (ping is still higher which is not good).

So on the Radiance our VOOM internet isn't as good as the rest of the fleet? That stinks! I mainly want to use it at night to check my email & Facebook to unwind before going to sleep. Hopefully everyone else will be out partying on the ship or asleep. :)

So on the Radiance our VOOM internet isn't as good as the rest of the fleet? That stinks! I mainly want to use it at night to check my email & Facebook to unwind before going to sleep. Hopefully everyone else will be out partying on the ship or asleep. :)

For those uses, the lower tier SURF package is enough - just be patient.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Navigator (Baltic)and we had stream and surf package. I was expecting it to be bad but I was quite surprised at how reasonable it was. I checked and it was not 03B (what used to be called Voom) it was the slow high earth orbit satellites. Ping times were always in the 700mSec and above range. Speed tests ranged from 0.25Mb to about 2.5Mb.

We were able to send and receive email including attaching photos, surf and we did do some streaming from YouTube (only SD) and it was fine only time it buffered was at peak time (all trips back and waiting for dinner). We never failed to get a wifi signal all round the ship and in our cabin.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how usable it was. If we go on another cruise I would pay for the wifi again.

I just purchased the Voom Internet package for myself for my first cruise next month. Never in the order process did they ask me for my cell phone info. The only question they asked was it for my mom or me, since our reservation number is together. How do they know when I get on my phone that I'm the one with the Internet and not my mom? When I exit the ship and access my internet and then get back on and access it again, will Voom pick it up? I don't want to get a Verizon bill in August for a high amount because RC didn't know it was my phone that purchased the Internet? I hope this makes sense. Thanks!!:)

I really do hate to complicate your usage even more, but...

On Radiance in August you will spend a lot of time at US ports. In a US port your cell phone will work for texting and phone calls. Hubbard Glacier is not a port, and the inside passage is iffy.

If you follow the rule as others have proposed; on the ship stay in Airplane mode, off the ship in every port except for Vancouver you can do either.