Norwegian Jade Mediterranean Passports?

metsfan47

My wife and I did three weeks aboard the Jade in the Eastern Med a couple of years ago, and took our passports with us in every port. The political situation in that region is such that I would not be caught on land without my passport.;)

We were on the Spirit a couple of weeks ago. When we boarded the ship in Venice, they actually collected our passports. The passports were not returned until the middle of the cruise.

There were many ports where we did not have passports and were told to take a valid govt ID - Drivers License.

Last year NCL held our passports for a few days but I think it had something to do with visiting Turkey, which the ship is not doing this year. I think they told us to bring our passports for the Venice turnaround day. Otherwise I kept them in my safe. My understanding is that if you miss the boat, the contents of your safe are given to the port authority and so it's not like the ship would leave with your passport as long as it was in your safe while you were ashore.

I will bring my passport card or a copy of passport for the ports that don't require us to bring a passport ashore and keep my passport in the safe onboard the ship whenever possible just because if we are going to a beach, swimming... I don't want to damage it.

We are just back from a cruise on the jade from Venice visiting Croatian and Greek ports.

At boarding they will take your passports and give you a receipt as this is a requirement of the Greek authorities. Once you leave the last Greek port you visit they will return them.

They are happy to give you photocopies of you feel more comfortable or the other suggestion is to take a photo of the passport detail pages to keep with you on your phone. The reality is that you do not need either the passport or copy when in port though so it is just a comfort thing.

We are just back from a cruise on the jade from Venice visiting Croatian and Greek ports.

At boarding they will take your passports and give you a receipt as this is a requirement of the Greek authorities. Once you leave the last Greek port you visit they will return them.

They are happy to give you photocopies of you feel more comfortable or the other suggestion is to take a photo of the passport detail pages to keep with you on your phone. The reality is that you do not need either the passport or copy when in port though so it is just a comfort thing.

Thank you so much.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise on the Jade.

Fran

We will be on the Norwegian Jade next week for the Mediterranean cruise.

Do we need to carry our Passports off the ship at every port?

Which ports don't require us to carry them?

Thanks.

Fran

Would suggest asking this on 4 different boards is overkill but will answer an additional part here. Some previous answers are just wrong. Norwegian may request your passports as a company policy and thus you should comply. However neither Greece nor turkey require you to give the ship your PP's nor do they request seeing them at the time you leave or reboard the ship. I sailed from May 21 to June 11,2016 with 2 stops in Turkey as well as 3 Greek isles and debarkation in Athens and was NEVER asked for my passport . You may take them as you choose but do not believe those who say you must. Other than airport entry and exit the only time my passport was requested was at the first of 2 hotels I stayed at in Athens pre cruise.