Peanut / nut Allergy

We are thinking of taking out daughter and family on a cruise. Allure, oasis or Harmony. Our granddaughter, age 10 has a peanut/ nut allergy. Does the ship help you out with nut free meals. Has anyone experienced this and if so how did it go. Thanks for your help with this matter.

We are thinking of taking out daughter and family on a cruise. Allure, oasis or Harmony. Our granddaughter, age 10 has a peanut/ nut allergy. Does the ship help you out with nut free meals. Has anyone experienced this and if so how did it go. Thanks for your help with this matter.

Yes, the ship is very good at diet restrictions.

Contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] well before the cruise.

I haven't sailed Royal in a few years.

Our last sailing 2013, it was my experience that Royal was not very good at this. They take the position of 'better not to take a chance' and not eat something. For example, the chocolate used on board has a "may contain" warning so they will advise that your child not eat anything chocolate.

Cross-contamination/lack of awareness rules out the buffet completely. I always filled out the forms, alerted the kid's club, the waiter and the head waiter. My son never had a reaction on any sailing, but he was always limited in what he could eat. Staff were never certain if something was not free, and always recommend he not eat it just in case. I've got numerous examples of waitstaff (on Royal, HAL, and Carnival) giving out wrong information, and telling me something was nut-free when it wasn't.

Celebrity, however, was AWESOME at allergy handling. We pre-ordered all my son's meals the night before. He was brought a special (nut-free) basket of bread. For the pastries that he enjoyed in the morning, they kept special (saran-wrapped) portions for him. For ice cream, the would get him his own bowls, freshly-scooped from virgin bins. In the buffet, when I asked about which items contained nuts, I was immediately handed off to the maitre d' who took great care of us. He gave me his card and he was always a phone call away. On Celebrity, nothing was off limits for my son. If it contained nuts, the next day it was available to him as nut-free.

Others have had more positive experiences on Royal. I personally (on Royal) asked if a desert contained nuts and was told no. One bite into the dessert, I could clearly taste the nuts. Other times, I was told it was nut-free, however when I questioned if "they were sure" was then told that it might have nuts, so best not to take a chance.

Depends for you on how serious your child's allergies are, but for us (as of 2013) Royal was not very good at this.

This will be our third year in a row sailing on Royal with our son who is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. Since we have so many allergies, our circumstances is a little different, but I hope I can help you.

We have felt that Royal goes above and beyond to meet our needs.

You should definitely contact the special needs department before you board. When you board, head to the MDR to make sure your allergies are documented.

As with any traveling experience with food allergies, the quality of care you receive depends on the people you interact with. We have always had head waiters that have gone and above to find new safe foods for our son.

Each night, we choose our meals for the next day which are prepared in a separate area.

We have always been told to stay away from the buffet and we have to eat there, they will bring our safe meal to us from the kitchen.

We bring our own lunch for embarkation day since it can be hectic. We also bring some favorite desserts from home so that my son can have a variety. My son's milk allergy makes our dessert options pretty limited but I have heard the soft serve ice cream is nut/peanut safe but of course you would need to confirm that on board yourself.

We also bring factory sealed snacks to take off the ship when we are in ports.

We have truly felt that Royal does everything they can to provide a variety of safe foods for us. I would make sure that you always talk with a Head Waiter about your meals and not just a waiter. On our first Royal cruise, the chefs that took care of our son's meals even came out to talk to us several times.

I hope that this helps, I would be very happy to answer any specific questions you may have

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have the same issues, and have cruised several times.. Contact the special needs department, and upon boarding the ship, go to the dining room and meet with the Head waiter and relay to him about the allergy. They will prepare your meals separate from the main line and ask for your dinner selections the night prior. They take it very seriously.. Good luck and have fun!!