1st time in Paris, staying 4 days. Any day tour recommendations?

snoopycr

Since this is your first time in Paris, I think you'll find more than enough in Paris to occupy you for four days, but a trip to Versailles on the RER C line would probably give you just what you want. If you had more time, I would suggest a trip to Chartres or the Loire Valley.

Edited by Langoustine

We just spent four nights in Paris after our TA cruise this May. Our first day there we did a 4 hour walking tour along the Seine with SightSeekers Delight. My husband and I were the only ones on the tour and the guide was excellent! They only allow up to 12 people on each tour so they are never crowded. It was a great way to introduce ourselves to this wonderful city.

We'll be taking the train up to Paris from Barcelona after our cruise. We'll be staying there for 4 days. Any day tour recommendations that can take us outside of Paris to see the country side?

What are your interests? Art or history or culture or something else? In every direction there is almost something unique and different to do.

Many people do love to go to Versailles but it is VERY large and overwhelming to some people; a lot of people don't know that it was built after Louis XIV learned that his Finance Minister had built a smaller but nearly identical chateau called Vaux Le Vicomte not very far away - the King had him imprisoned ("he must be stealing from me!") and then duplicated the design, essentially, only on the grand scale we see at Versailles and voila! Many tours from Paris also include the Fontainebleu Castle nearby which might be a nice bonus, it is inside a beautiful forest. On Saturday evenings, Vaux Le Vicomte has evening candle light tours.

There is Monet's gardens at Giverny, a bit north and west of Paris - one does not need to necessarily be a fan of his art to enjoy a visit to the gardens, they are lovely in and of themselves but I suppose being an admirer of his work makes it somewhat more of an enhanced visit. A nice day out into the country and very popular tour too.

Another direction to head is to the Normandy town of Rouen - you'll not be near the D-Day landing beaches but it is still an historic and charming town with architecture different than that of Paris - half timber framed homes and a church famously painted by Monet. It is the place where Joan of Arc was martyred and quite lovely to explore. Enjoy the regional specialty Calvados after a special lunch at Dufours, not far from the Grand Clock.

Just wanted to present a few other alternatives besides Versailles. It is incredible and something to see though I only went when I was visiting Paris in January - I would not go on any other time when I was in Paris - just too busy for me and I was a life long NYC resident, crowds were the norm for me. I loved the Chateaux in the Loire too...just this one *giant* castle...too much. I enjoyed much more having it quiet and calm, walking the gardens, short lines, in January but that was just me. I had the reaction "it's too big, I wasn't super interested" and went when I went. For others, I understand the desire to go, get skip the line tickets or fast track etc. And at times there are things I "must do" too and wait or go like everyone else; it depends :D I just figured, share the options...see what's out there, then decide!

If you have more questions or specific interests, let us know. It is wonderful to have four days in Paris, the region - there's so much to see/do, enjoy!! :)

What are your interests? Art or history or culture or something else? In every direction there is almost something unique and different to do.

If you have more questions or specific interests, let us know. It is wonderful to have four days in Paris, the region - there's so much to see/do, enjoy!! :)

What a terrific post. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. Wish we could hire you as our guide!

What a terrific post. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. Wish we could hire you as our guide!

Glad you found it helpful Snoopycr - and not too overwhelming! I appreciate the kind compliment as well but I am sure you will do quite well in Paris and on whichever day trip you decide to take. Everything is easy enough to get to, and find, people are helpful and friendly - don't believe the classic stereotype of the French being rude to Americans, it couldn't be more wrong...I've always found abundant smiles and kindness all around. Use "bonjour" and "merci" and you are in - plus it adds a little bit of fun to add in simple, easy French terms. There is a reason why France is the most visited country in the world - it's just wonderful.

A guide book might help you with the plans - you'll be your own best tour guide. I know a lot of cruisers here like the Rick Steves guides but I have always preferred the Frommers or Lonely Planet Guides for my land journeys and met fellow land travelers that felt likewise. They have online sites with limited resources, it would be up to you to decide when or whether to purchase an actual complete guide to use or bring with you. The city guides for Paris are great and contain day trip info in them of course as so many travelers to Paris are keen to explore beyond the city limits. Vaux le Vicomte might not be in it but it literally and figuratively IS in the shadows of Versailles ;)

I added links to everything else I mentioned previously since you sound interested, others might be as well. None of these are tour sites, just the home sites of the actual destination. Transportation to each place is very easy via French rail SNCF and shuttles from local arrival stations take you upon arrival the rest of the way in every case - for off season check dates and times. You can do this! Of course if you do want tours - understandable - they exist, reviews are there online and can be vetted if not here, well you know how.

SNCF

http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Lonely Planet Paris

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/france/paris

Frommers Paris

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/paris/658463

Vaux le Vicomte Castle (seasonal shuttle bus running from train to chateau)

http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/

Fontainebleau Castle

http://www.musee-chateau-fontainebleau.fr/spip.php?lang=en

Giverny Gardens - Monet

http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm

Here is the Lonely Planet guide for Rouen, France - quaint little medieval city

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/france/normandy/rouen

Make it an amazing adventure :D Bon Voyage

There is SO much to see and do in Paris that I don't think on a first visit of only four days I would recommend taking any time outside the city, except perhaps to see Versailles.

Also, don't try to squeeze too much into each day. Take some time to sit outside at a cafe and watch the world go by, as Parisians do. Stroll along the Seine...take it all in. Buy Nutella crepes from a street vendor...

Excellent advice above about common courtesies in France. When you enter a shop or store, greet the shopkeeper with a pleasant "bonjour." This is expected in France, and you'll appear rude if you don't do this. Say "au revoir" when leaving. Learn some basic French words and phrases.

And while many of the Parisians you encounter are likely to speak English, don't assume they do --- I think that's what the French find so rude about Americans. Just ask politely IN FRENCH whether someone speaks English, that way you are not making the assumption. ("Bonjour. Parlez-vous anglais?")

It is very easy to get around Paris by Metro. This free Paris Metro app and route planner, which works offline, is fantastic:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paris-metro-map-route-planner/id527534137?mt=8

Have a great time in Paris!

Notre%20Dame%20at%20night_zpsrcstc4oj.jpg

(photo by turtles06)