Grand Balcony Suite on Emerald Starship SUN

Travelsandy

Hi All, I am new to cruise critic, so please bear with me for my first post! My husband & I have booked a 15 day Splendours of Europe River Cruise for August 2017. As we wanted to get the business class deal with Evergreen, we had to select a "Grand Balcony" suite. We selected 302, as it is close to the exit areas, and being at the end, may give us a bit more privacy on the balcony. However, I have read a review on the Emerald Star, that 302 is close to the sewage outlet? Sounds like this may be not be such a good idea for our choice of cabin. Does anyone have a preference with their Grand Balcony suites?? Many thanks to all for some much-needed information.:)

Good Morning Travelsandy,

First welcome to Cruise Critic. This is an excellent sight for those of us that enjoy cruising and for exchanging and gathering of various different ideas and places to go and see and or those of us that may recommend various activities.

We are Lisa and Gary ( LoneStarCruisinCouple) from yes Texas. Just outside of Houston in Sugar Land.

I myself can't say for sure as to the discharge of a sewage outlet but would think that you wouldn't have to worry. Being that this is one of the exits and or loading points for the ship would think that there isn't.

Emerald should be a good choice for your first River Cruise as it is a part of Scenic. We have cruised with Scenic last September on the Jasper in a Royal Panorama Suite from Amsterdam to Budapest and had a marvelous time. With having Limo transfers between Airports and Hotels and ship and in reverse, with the Private Butlers and being All Inclusive. Enjoyed so much we are booked for two more one being the Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo for September 2017 and on the new Eclipse for October 2018 for Cuba in Depth.

All I can say is it is a more relaxed pace on a River Cruise however it is more intamate as with that of a smaller ship you get to meet folks and talk about your days discoveries on shore. We also enjoyed Scenic as with being an Australian company lots of folks on board from Down Under. For whatever reason those folks simply know how to enjoy life not only to the fullest but they also know how to enjoy a good Froth..

Smooth Sailings

Lisa and Gary

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Don't have any info on that ship but with talk of sewage smells that come up regularly why don't you absolutely move more mid ship or or forward.

I completely agree! I would never choose to be stuck in a cabin where sewage odors have been reported, even for a few days, let alone for a long cruise that you are paying a lot for.

Since Emerald and Scenic are entirely different experiences, I am a bit confused by LoneStar's comment above, and how it relates to the question of reported sewage smells on your particular ship.:confused:

Edited by caviargal

I completely agree! I would never choose to be stuck in a cabin where sewage odors have been reported, even for a few days, let alone for a long cruise that you are paying a lot for.

Since Emerald and Scenic are entirely different experiences, I am a bit confused by LoneStar's comment above, and how it relates to the question of reported sewage smells on your particular ship.:confused:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the newest Scenic ships quite similar structures to those of Emerald (including the sewage exhaust location). While different experiences, as their corp office advertises , the difference is like Regent 6* to Oceania 5 1/2* .

BTW, I agree to change cabins if the possible smell is a worry.

Edited by dabear

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the newest Scenic ships quite similar structures to those of Emerald (including the sewage exhaust location). While different experiences, as their corp office advertises , the difference is like Regent 6* to Oceania 5 1/2* .

BTW, I agree to change cabins if the possible smell is a worry.

I have not cruised with Emerald (and likely would not as I prefer a more upscale experience) but from the inclusions, number of passengers, and target market, I would put it at more than 1/2 star difference from Scenic. Based on what I have read (reviews, publications like Berlitz) I consider it to be a 3.5 - 4 star river boat experience, similar to Avalon. Regent to Celebrity as an example. For me, the devil in the details, and those same details might not be important to others.

In any case, I would not personally rely on what may be a similar design to decide whether to reserve a cabin on a specific ship which has been said to have issues with sewage smell.

Edited by caviargal

I have not cruised with Emerald (and likely would not as I prefer a more upscale experience) but from the inclusions, number of passengers, and target market, I would put it at more than 1/2 star difference from Scenic. Based on what I have read (reviews, publications like Berlitz) I consider it to be a 3.5 - 4 star river boat experience, similar to Avalon. Regent to Celebrity as an example. For me, the devil in the details, and those same details might not be important to others.

In any case, I would not personally rely on what may be a similar design to decide whether to reserve a cabin on a specific ship which has been said to have issues with sewage smell.

FYI, Scenic's own website and professional commentators compared Scenic to Emerald as Regent to Oceania, (1/2*) not Celebrity. You've tried Avalon, but I don't think it fits our taste. Also, most professional writers rate Celebrity at 5*, not 3.5 to 4 (don't recall if Berlitz rated Celebrity at 4.5 or 5*) . Agree that Scenic is more upscale but the recent pax reviews of Emerald are quite positive. To each their own.

Edited by dabear

FYI, Scenic's own website and professional commentators compared Scenic to Emerald as Regent to Oceania, (1/2*) not Celebrity. Also, most professional writers rate Celebrity at 5*, not 3.5 to 4 (don't recall if Berlitz rated Celebrity at 4.5 or 5*) . Agree that Scenic is more upscale but the recent pax reviews of Emerald are quite positive. To each their own.

I would expect nothing different to come from Scenic, since they own Emerald.

For me, Celebrity is a 4 star experience. Oceania is a 5. Of course, everyone has different tastes and priorities when it comes to cruising and travel in general.

Berlitz Guide to River Cruising (2016-2017) rates Emerald a 4 star river cruise experience. One of the things they note is that there are place mats (no linen tablecloths) in the MDR at breakfast and lunch. Not the hallmark of an upscale line, IMO.

We were on Scenic recently and did not find it to be a 6 star experience, as their marketing advertises. There were many things we enjoyed but it was not a 6 or even 5 star river cruise, as compared to others we have personally experienced. Berlitz Guide to River Cruising rated the Scenic Diamond a 4 star, which is exactly what we felt. Some of their other boats earned a 4.5. None were a 5.

Edited by caviargal

We are locked into the cruise, and many friends have recommended it as a great trip. I might look into just changing our suite to closer in the middle, but will wait and see if I get some more responses.:)

Berlitz Guide to River Cruising (2016-2017) rates Emerald a 4 star river cruise experience. One of the things they note is that there are place mats (no linen tablecloths) in the MDR at breakfast and lunch. Not the hallmark of an upscale line, IMO.

QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA!!! I can't stop laughing about this! I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked that Emerald uses place mats in lieu of tablecloths at breakfast and lunch. We're booked for September on Emerald and I think we'll need to cancel now!!! Such champagne problems....

Berlitz Guide to River Cruising (2016-2017) rates Emerald a 4 star river cruise experience. One of the things they note is that there are place mats (no linen tablecloths) in the MDR at breakfast and lunch. Not the hallmark of an upscale line' date=' IMO.

QUOTE']

HAHAHAHA!!! I can't stop laughing about this! I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked that Emerald uses place mats in lieu of tablecloths at breakfast and lunch. We're booked for September on Emerald and I think we'll need to cancel now!!! Such champagne problems....

As I stated previously, those details may not matter to you, or to others. It was noted in Berlitz Guide to Cruising, therefore they apparently felt it worth mentioning when comparing Emerald to Scenic and others. I personally have never been on a river cruise where the tables were not set with linens at all meals.

Glad you were able to amuse yourself with your sarcastic response.:rolleyes:

Edited by caviargal

• 1 month later...

We had 312. Couldn't have been better! I do not recall any placemats at all, but perhaps I didn't care. Although I have no other river cruise line to compare with, I felt everything was top notch. Also, no odors.

Edited by ripaula

Just out of curiosity, what river cruiseline do you go with and call an upscale experience? Having never done one except for the one booked for 2017.

Marlster