Ketchikan - Totem Poles

asubaru

We dock at 6AM ugh! I would like opinions as to what is the best venue for seeing totem poles.Totem Pole Parks. I realize there are some scattered throughout downtown, but wanted to visit an area that has some, along with some history about them.

I am thinking we'd go from about 7-9AM. Are most parks/places open that early? I assume the shops are open that early? I've already picked the early lunch place...priorities, ya know!

Below are some options I copied. I read and researched; frankly, I am overwhelmed and it's coming down to crunch time. There's too many options!

Thanks for any insight/opinions you can provide.

Sue

Ketchikan Totem Pole Park at Totem Bight Just a few of the Totem Poles found at Totem Bight

Totem Bight State Historical Park - Totem Bight State Park is located on the North end of town and is home to 14 Native American Totem Poles in addition to a Clan House, a short walk through the rainforest, a Visitor Center, and an ocean view out to the mainland. Easily toured on your own or with a guided tour. No admission charge.

Potlatch Park - Potlatch Park is located right beside Totem Bight (literally!) and also has Totem Poles, a gorgeous clan house and several smaller houses with absolutely stunning carved panels & Alaska Native art, a carving shed with carver inside, antique firearm museum & antique car museum! No admission charge, easily toured on your own or with a tour.

Saxman Native Village - Saxman Native Village is on the South end of town and features approximately 24 standing Totem Poles, a Clan House, and carving shed. Tours to Saxman Native Village include a show featuring native dancing in full regalia. Is best toured with an organized tour and there is a small admission charge.

Downtown Totem Pole Locations

Totem Heritage Center - The Totem Heritage Center is home to many original, unrestored Totem Poles rescued from abandoned Native Villages. It is a fabulous place to see Alaska Native art at it's best and not only Totem Poles, but also masks, regalia, blankets, and photographs. Small admission fee.

Southeast Alaska Discovery Center - The Southeast Alaska Discovery Center is so much more than a place to view Totem Poles but there are three poles in the entryway, representing the three Native Tribes in the area. A small fee to enter, however, Totem Poles are viewed free of charge.

Totem Pole History & Legends - Read all about the different types of Native American Totem Poles, the history & legends, how a Totem Pole is carved, the tools used, & more! This is the perfect introduction to Totem Poles & Alaska Native Art.

the info you copied appears to be from experienceketchikan.com

While in that web site, click on the name of each location to get details on what is available in each park, the specific location and how to get there.

I LOVED Totem Bight ... the totems are fascinating but the waterfront and rainforest setting is awesome. But it's about 10 miles from town.

If you'd rather not put any travel time into it, visit Saxman as is it only 3 miles away.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

Edited by mapleleaves

the info you copied appears to be from experienceketchikan.com

While in that web site, click on the name of each location to get details on what is available in each park, the specific location and how to get there.

I LOVED Totem Bight ... the totems are fascinating but the waterfront and rainforest setting is awesome. But it's about 10 miles from town.

If you'd rather not put any travel time into it, visit Saxman as is it only 3 miles away.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

I have been to all these areas. Certainly all offer "totem" poles. Verify directly, but I think, you can get a walk up guided tour at Saxman- which is a better way to get the history information. At Totem Bight, easy to print and bring with you a totem guide. No problem going that early- I've been on the 6:25a bus there- easily.

I am glad you asked these questions, I had the same lack of clarity on the difference between the different parks.

I'm also curious about the accessibility from the public transportation - most Florida parks you would want to drive a car around and pick a place to park. I can't imagine getting dropped off near the gate and then having miles more to go. At Saxman and Totem Bight, is it really easy to visit on foot? Also, I read somewhere that I have to be on an official tour to actually get into the clan house. Can we get advice about that, too?

Currently I'm most tempted to go to the one to the North so I can add in a rainforest walk. But then, isn't the whole town in a rainforest?

My trip is 48 more days away.

I went to Saxman Village a few weeks ago and took an 8:45am or so public bus and they were first opening up and didn't have any of the tours / carving stations open at the time. I was able to pay my admission fee ($5) and walk around myself though.

I went to Saxman Village a few weeks ago and took an 8:45am or so public bus and they were first opening up and didn't have any of the tours / carving stations open at the time. I was able to pay my admission fee ($5) and walk around myself though.

We did the same thing, except we took a taxi, which cost $16 (incl. tip) each way. When we paid our $5 admission, the man told us the bus comes by every half hour and it was only $1 (I think). We were going to take it back but we would have had a bit of a wait, and just then a taxi pulled up to drop off a family, so we took that taxi back.

There are a lot of totem poles. We weren't allowed inside the carving station (although there appeared to be a guide inside talking to a couple), but we peeked in and also looked into the meeting house. There is also a gift shop that we browsed in, but other than that not much else to do there that we could tell. We arrived around 8 a.m. and spent maybe 1/2 hour there.

It's a good place to see totem poles, and it's not very far from the ship. It's probably worth the price of a bus ticket and admission, but not worth a taxi fare, IMO.

We had a great time at Saxman Village. We emailed ahead to find out the times of tours. We took a taxi both ways--one way was $6 and the way back was $7, so I do not understand why NboroGirl was charged $16. Once there we paid $42 per person and was apart of a tour with some Princess folks. Before the tour started we went to the community center and enjoyed talking to the people there that were making native costumes. The tour started with about a 20 minute movie, then we went to the clan house for the dancing. Following that we went to the carving house where the master carver was doing his thing while it was explained by the tour guide. Finally the guide took us out to the totem poles and explained them all.

100_1157.jpg.17b70d8f31369cb70fbf793ae69c6a9a.jpg

P1040243.jpg.58a320aeb80fbd18537b3ac3278b32fa.jpg

100_1165.jpg.830e9700ff97f9126624397c5dbba474.jpg

I am glad you asked these questions, I had the same lack of clarity on the difference between the different parks.

I'm also curious about the accessibility from the public transportation - most Florida parks you would want to drive a car around and pick a place to park. I can't imagine getting dropped off near the gate and then having miles more to go. At Saxman and Totem Bight, is it really easy to visit on foot? Also, I read somewhere that I have to be on an official tour to actually get into the clan house. Can we get advice about that, too?

Currently I'm most tempted to go to the one to the North so I can add in a rainforest walk. But then, isn't the whole town in a rainforest?

My trip is 48 more days away.

Yes, both are very walkable. But, taking the city bus to Saxman is going to be an uphill walk.

Even from the bus stop, and doing the loop at Totem Bight, probably isn't even a mile of walking.

Yes, both are very walkable. But, taking the city bus to Saxman is going to be an uphill walk.

Even from the bus stop, and doing the loop at Totem Bight, probably isn't even a mile of walking.

Hmmm... there is quite a hill from the main road to Saxman, but the bus stop that was pointed out to us wasn't there - it was across the road from the gift shop, so there wouldn't be any hill to climb.

Hmmm... there is quite a hill from the main road to Saxman, but the bus stop that was pointed out to us wasn't there - it was across the road from the gift shop, so there wouldn't be any hill to climb.

That was only in one direction when I was there in May, on the pick up. We were dropped off on the South Tongass Highway.

Give them a call, for the current information.

Edited by Budget Queen

That was only in one direction when I was there in May, on the pick up. We were dropped off on the South Tongass Highway.

Oh, you're probably right. That's where we were told to catch the bus for the return back to port. I just assumed they'd drop you off in the same spot they pick you up at.