SS priority boarding? - mixed messages

forevercruising1

Other than reading the HAL website, what other homework should I need to do. Here is a part of their site about the "suite life".

Suite Amenities

Guests who choose suite accommodations enjoy several additional amenities** – including in-suite afternoon tea and savory hors d'oeuvres - all with the Captain's compliments.

The Suite Life New suite amenities** include the following enhancements:

• Luxurious duvets
  • Fully stocked no-host mini bars
  • VCR or DVD players and access to movie library
  • Personalized stationery
  • 24-hour concierge

** Suite amenities vary somewhat by ship and suite category.

I am booked into an SS SUITE (their words, not mine)on the Noordam next spring. As I would understand this, I don't have use of the Neptune Lounge. Other than size and the use of the lounge, I can't find what else I am doing to miss. Where I am from, like many others here, SUPERIOR is, well, superior to DELUXE. I guess my mistake regarding the cabin is that I did not ask specifically if the superior is a step down from deluxe. I tend to be careful not to mislead and to chose my words a bit more wisely. I don't say something is BAD when I mean its GOOD and when I say something is deluxe, it is very nice but when I say something is SUPERIOR it is nicer. I guess the funny thing is I still don't exactly know the differances other than what I have seen on this board.

to anyone who has never been on a cruise site, read a brochure or talked to an expert on cruising and specifically HAL. If they were to simplify to 2 categories - suite and mini - that wld cover the problem of 'deluxe and superior' which has different meanings to different folks and leads to confusion to those who do not check it out carefully before talking to a TA and beyond what their TA tells them...As far as sup/deluxe seems to me the difference in price shld be a 'clue' that maybe they are not equal and therefore wld not yield equal amenities. An S category gets corsages & bout.s for 1 formal nite, tea & h. d'ors served in your cabin, invites to suite pax activities, free laundry & dry cleaning, breakfast in Pinn Grill (may not even get that soon as amenities seem to disappear or change so fast these days) etc...Thats part of why the S is more expensive. U did your homework well on the website and are now asking questions - its what all shld do... I wish this cld be changed soon - wld make it easier for all the new cruisers - HAL are u listening please!!

I agree with almost everything you say. Regarding the clue that you mention i.e. the price. The Hal site lists my cabin at about 900 dollars pp more than an outside cabin and lists the differance in price of a "real" suite at 150 dollars pp more than mine. I personally can't tell much by that. All that I am getting for $1800 is a bigger cabin, when for $300 dollars more I could be in a "real suite". I just figured the 300 bucks bought me a little smaller cabin without the Neptune lounge. You are correct in other respects though. The next time I book a vacation, cruise or otherwise, I will be sure to ask differant types of questions and assume that the agent is not going to offer any advice to me. Advice like "pop for the extra $300 bucks you big dope!" That is an actual quote from my wife by the way. When thinking about the possibilities, there are a great many questions I never think to ask. I hope my cabin has a lock on the door and glass in the window frames and a T.V. that works. I know that I am being silly (right?). I actually never thought about this as being an "issue" before reading this thread. I feel the same way as you wrote. I did not ask many questions and assumed too much and we all know what happens when you assume. I am sure we are going to enjoy the cabin and the whole cruise for that matter. I guess I will have to break down and buy my wife the flower. I just hate games with symantics. Since my cruise advisor was not much help, I will have to come to these boards next time.

Thanks REV for your kind words in response to my rant.

Trust me, if there were any openings for the "S"

suits at the time I inquired I would have forked over a "few bucks more".

I suppose all of us, no matter what class we are in, should be gleefully greatful at what we have in this day and age. I mean there are no "lock down" options for those in poor "steerage class" durning a sinking, as was on the "Titanic"......and if the passangers of the 1800 sailing ships could see what we have at our fingertips on these giants of the seas, they would roll over in there graves.....pools, just about every kind of food you can think of at any time, clean FRESH water not only to drink, but to wash daily with.

I was a history buff in high school and did a report on what the common passanger had to endure on those trips (for 3 months avg.)...spider mites in the hard stale biskets, having to skim off the scum on top of the drinking water sitting in the wooden barrels on deck just so as to take a drink. Cleanleness problems for lack of fresh water baths as well as what most women had to endure (remember three months)....well I won't even go there. And if you got sick on the trip....oh my heck, pray you got to a port soon.

Speaking of which, stopping off at an Island for provisions if the weather favored your journey, was a real blessing from God (Right Rev?) Ahhh fresh food.

Yes, I'd say those in the 1800s would be disgusted with our whining.....but I suppose there will always be someone worse off then we are in China, and the "poor we will always have among us", isn't that right REV ?(with all due respect).

So I guess it's best to keep it all in prospective and enjoy our blessings when they are placed before us...or that would also be a sin..

And with that I bid you all a happy cruise and a good night.

Darryl

Other than reading the HAL website, what other homework should I need to do. Here is a part of their site about the "suite life".

brian153

While the information is on the web site, you must know where to dig for it. When you go to the HAL website, at the bottom of the page, in light letters you will see FOR MEDIA click on that. At the bottom of that you will see FACT SHEETS click on that. On that page, look under the heading Ships and Destinations, and click on Stateroom Amenities. This is a three page listing of various amenities available in the the various room categories.

Who would have thought you would have to go to the media section for this information?????? Best of Luck!!!

I agree with almost everything you say. Regarding the clue that you mention i.e. the price. The Hal site lists my cabin at about 900 dollars pp more than an outside cabin and lists the differance in price of a "real" suite at 150 dollars pp more than mine. I personally can't tell much by that. All that I am getting for $1800 is a bigger cabin, when for $300 dollars more I could be in a "real suite". I just figured the 300 bucks bought me a little smaller cabin without the Neptune lounge. You are correct in other respects though. The next time I book a vacation, cruise or otherwise, I will be sure to ask differant types of questions and assume that the agent is not going to offer any advice to me. Advice like "pop for the extra $300 bucks you big dope!" That is an actual quote from my wife by the way. When thinking about the possibilities, there are a great many questions I never think to ask. I hope my cabin has a lock on the door and glass in the window frames and a T.V. that works. I know that I am being silly (right?). I actually never thought about this as being an "issue" before reading this thread. I feel the same way as you wrote. I did not ask many questions and assumed too much and we all know what happens when you assume. I am sure we are going to enjoy the cabin and the whole cruise for that matter. I guess I will have to break down and buy my wife the flower. I just hate games with symantics. Since my cruise advisor was not much help, I will have to come to these boards next time.

the price difference esp to anyone not remotely familar with cruisin' wld come to your exact conclusion.

Made me giggle - thanks for sharing - "pop for the extra $300 bucks u big dope' ...funnnnee!!

As for assume - yup - makes an 'ass' out of me in regards to 'u'...hope I made u smile!!

Happy cruisin'

brian153

While the information is on the web site, you must know where to dig for it. When you go to the HAL website, at the bottom of the page, in light letters you will see FOR MEDIA click on that. At the bottom of that you will see FACT SHEETS click on that. On that page, look under the heading Ships and Destinations, and click on Stateroom Amenities. This is a three page listing of various amenities available in the the various room categories.

Who would have thought you would have to go to the media section for this information?????? Best of Luck!!!

very thoughtful of u to take your valuable time to provide us with this most welcome & valuable information. Proof again the info is out there if there are boards like this and folks like u...!!

Only questions I have are for HAL: why under 'media' and not more easily accessible??? :0(

Happy cruisin'!!

RevNeal - 'SV' just adds one more set of characters to the already overcrowed area - less is more - doesn't matter if done before - simplify and have 2 categories - folks will soon figure it out..!! S - SS - SA - SB - SC - SY and now SV - yah right that wld work - not!!

Actually, it would replace the SS and SY categories, if I'm reading the charts right.

I don't disagree that the multiplicity of Alphabet Soup coding is annoying as heck, but if HAL is going to copy all the other lines in so many annoying features -- dumbed down dress codes, dining times, etc. -- why not in cabin classifications?? That's precisely what we've got going on here. Other lines use a multitude of alphabet soup identifications for their cabins, too.

And ... remember ... they can't just call 'em "mini-suites." They'll have to be abbreviated to SOMETHING. MS ?

Why don't they try something original?

ID = Inside Dark

OW = Outside Window

OXW = Outside Obstructed Window

SVC = Small Verandah Cabin

BVC = Bigger Verandah Cabin

WBVC = Way Big Verandah Cabin

Then they could use lower case letters to designate location (a, b, c, etc.)

:D

For jhannah...

I'll take the WBVC anyday, but really prefer the WBVACC (way big verandah aft corner cabin)! I'll never look at my alphabet soup in the bowl the same way again!

Debjo

Methinks this alphabet soup may have something to to with perceived upgrades that are not really upgrades at all. With people expecting upgrades HAL and others can give the coveted upgrades to people without really giving them anything at all. Additionally, the more they parse the cabin catagories, the more they parse the costs to the consumer give the perception of "bargains" were there are really none.

I am not a cynical person by nature, however, these seems like a pretty clear marketing strategy to me. People seem especially hungry for bargains and upgrades these days. There is a sense of entitlement, fed and driven by the cruise lines. It just means more revenue for them. This is a business.

As far as HAL providing information about their cabin catagories and other information. It is available in their brochures and on their website. It is also available from Travel Agents. I don't mean to be harsh or judgemental, but if something costs less, it must logically include less. Generally, if it seems too good to be true, it is not true.

I live in a condo association. I was president for four years. I was contantly amazed by the number of people who had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on property who did not read the documentation that went along with it. They insisted they were not aware of the restrictions that were part of condo living and when they were asked if they had read the documents were actually insulted that they were expected to have known what they were buying!!

Buyer, beware. If something is important to you, like having access to the Neptune Lounge, or a large verandah you really need to make sure you are buying what you really want. :)Granted, it's not as major as those condo owners who are manic gardeners who bought into a community that does not allow individuals to do their own gardening.:confused:

Unfortunatly, with people booking through the internet, uninformed TA's and poor customer service reps, these days you have to do your own homework. Good old American self-reliance.

I think that is what makes this board so valuable. We are our greatest resource!!!

Linda

I agree, Linda. I found the same phenomenon with employees who were incredulous to learn of restrictions to their behavior that were clearly spelled out in the employee handbook! :rolleyes:

The alphabet soup was without question, IMO, broadened so HAL could charge more for some cabins within a category.

I too agree with you, Linda. I could have been better with my "homework". I am the one who told the TA to book the SS cabin instead of asking what his thoughts were about it. It would have helped to not have the need to search the whole HAL web site first. It also would have been helpful to have the TA suggest the differances. I did just read the big and medium print, not the small stuff. I did it. I wish all the other mistakes I make would be as nice as this one will turn out to be. I really am not complaining about the cabin or the lack of suite amenities. I really don't much care about some of the perks that come with a real suite. I am just guessing here but I am sure my wife and I will live with the cabin class that I booked. Please do not think I am being fussy in any way. It reminds me of when we went to St. Croix 10 years ago. I told the TA were we wanted to go and she looked at me as if I was nuts and asked with a very concerned look, "Why would you want to go there when there is and ocean full of islands to go to?". Though I did not listen then, thats what I needed this time, some advise rather than just an order taker. Like I mentioned before, I now know where I can get useful information. Right here!

When I booked an SS on the Westerdam I did so knowing precisely what I was buying. I KNEW I wasn't buying a Suite -- despite it being called a "Superior Verandah Suite" -- but, rather, a larger version of the A and B verandah cabins I've had in the past on S and R ships. When looking to take this cruise I was not happy with the reduced size of the A and B cabins over their cousins on the S and R ships; so, I determined to go larger but without going to a Suite. The price break was rather enormous -- the quote I received was nearly $800 less than the Suite per person/per week. $1600 per person for 2 weeks was just too much more to spend for a Deluxe Suite (with all the perks). The difference between the A and the SS, however, was only $200 per person ... that's a no-brainer.

I knew that the SS didn't have any of the S perks, nor was I looking for such perks. I was just looking for a larger cabin.

Actually, it would replace the SS and SY categories, if I'm reading the charts right.

I don't disagree that the multiplicity of Alphabet Soup coding is annoying as heck, but if HAL is going to copy all the other lines in so many annoying features -- dumbed down dress codes, dining times, etc. -- why not in cabin classifications?? That's precisely what we've got going on here. Other lines use a multitude of alphabet soup identifications for their cabins, too.

And ... remember ... they can't just call 'em "mini-suites." They'll have to be abbreviated to SOMETHING. MS ?

wld come up with a good idea... "MS' is perfect - sure separates S from SS doesn't it?

Happy cruisin'!!

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, checked this out. One of the additional amenities listed for suite life is a "Full Suite Breakfast". What does that consist of and how does it differ from what the peasant categories get to chose from? :p

Have only cruised with Celebrity previously, but will be on Westerdam next month. My simplistic brain translates the word "suite" in ANY context as inclusive of special amenities. I can easily understand how some people become confused about this issue in HAL classifications... because I am one of them!

If the word "suite" was removed from all categories that do not include the FULL amenities, the issue would be simply resolved, especially for us HAL newbies. (The SOE period would have been a great time to re-categorize classifications to something more easily understandable by the general public.) Surely there is a way to distinguish between standard and larger size general cabins without the use of the word suite?

I managed to wade my way through and get the cabin that would meet our needs, but would have been less able to do so without Cruise Critic's guidance. Lucky me. Others perhaps not so lucky? JMHO.

I, too, checked this out. One of the additional amenities listed for suite life is a "Full Suite Breakfast". What does that consist of and how does it differ from what the peasant categories get to chose from? :p

I think suite passengers can order anything that is being served in the dining room for breakfast, while us "peasants" :) have a much more limited room service menu.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks Rita. That makes sense. I was on the Zuiderdam last Nov. in a cat. SS and enjoyed omelets and homefries in our cabin many-a-morning. I am sailing on the Noordam in April in a cat. VA and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to indulge in the same breakfast choices. I feared I would have only a continental breakfast to chose from. Enjoying a full breakfast on our balcony was one of my favorite parts of our trip.

Archived