Mahgany Bay Roatan

travsmom

I am disabled so I would not be doing zip lining, I would not be doing water sports or the beach. What is there to do other than just hang out at the port. I have seen a couple of videos but they only showed some run down places. Everything I read about it only says it is a beautiful place and expensive if you use a taxi. What is there to see? Should I take a cruise somewhere else? If anyone could, please give me some information. Thank you for your time in advance.

We used Victor Bodden Tours last year and would definitely use them again. You can book a tour on their website. You won't pay until mid-way through the tour. Also, you can hand pick on their website what you want and don't want to see. The monkeys were our favourite part. We were in a private car and we were the only ones on this tour. It was a private tour for sure.

We had our driver take us to a place they served "baleada", a folded tortilla filled with refried beans, cheese, eggs, meat and sour cream...or any combination of them. He took us to his favourite place for them, a gas station with a food counter (like some gas stations in the US that have a Subway or something else in them) and two women preparing fresh food for the many people who were there for their breakfast. I bought breakfast for our guide and myself. Two baleadas, an OJ and a Diet Coke were well under $10. And the food was really good.

You don't mention your limitations, but one consideration would be that the port people will not allow private tours to pick up at the port. There is a short walk, maybe the length of the ship or a little more, to where the guides will be. Of course, if you mention any disability to Bodden Tours, they may be able to work with you and the port people.

My mom has disabilities (difficulty walking,breathing issues). We also did a tour with Victor Bodden. When you arrive to the cruise port you go to the place where the shuttle and buses pick people up for the Carnival tours. This area has Taxi's that will take you "over the hill" to where private booking transportation such as Victor Bodden tours (and other's) will be waiting. The "over the hill"" taxi is 2.00 charge. For the return, Victor Bodden tours and others are able to bring you back all the way to the port. You do not have to take a 2.00 taxi back inside the gate for the return trip.

Letter from Bodden tour:

Mahogany Bay Cruise Center (Carnival, Costa, P & O, Seven Seas, Seabourn, Holland America, and Princess Cruises): As you exit your ship, customers on Local Independent Tours will be required by Carnival Corporation to exit their dock area through the gates and walk over a small hill to the main road. Once outside the gates and over the hill, look for our representatives holding VICTOR BODDEN signs. One of our representatives will greet you, locate your name on our list and introduce you to your guide for the day. At the end of your tour day, we ARE able to drop you off to the entrance of the dock...so you will only have to do this long walk one-way, when you first arrive. You can view a photo of "the hill" here: http://www.mayanjunglecanopy.com/images/mahoganybayhill.jpg or view the route you will have to take from the Mahogany Bay ship docks to our location here: http://mayanjunglecanopy.com/images/maptobodden.gif

++ As of December 1, 2010, the Port Manager of the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center has negotiated with the on-site Taxi Association to provide transportation, if required, to the Independent Tours meeting area over the hill. The negotiated flat-rate for this taxi service is $2 per person. Please see the Taxi Dispatcher (in the Green Mahogany Bay shirt) to arrange for your group to utilize this service -- tell them that you need transport to Victor Bodden Tours on the other side of the hill. Or, if you'd rather, you can still walk over the hill (approximately 350 yards) to the designated area. ++

Hope this helps. I love Roatan, one of my favorite stops.

Edited by dperki1