Which Cabin for Cruise from Vancouver to Seward?

GradUT

I'm looking at cruises for next summer on the Noordam from Vancouver to Seward (Glacier Discovery Northbound).

Which cabin would be better--5021 (starboard on Veranda Deck 5) or 6029 (starboard on Upper Veranda Deck 6) or 8141 (center aft on Navigation Deck 8).

I'd love to hear any pro's and con's of each cabin. (I have an idea of what I think the pro's and con's are, but I'd like to hear from others.)

Thank you.

Edited by GradUT

The good thing is two are on the starboard side which is preferred on a NB cruise. 8141 will be under the Lido deck so could have the crew moving chairs, washing the deck in the early morning (removing the salt water film, etc.), and in the center so your field of vision will be limited. The two starboard side cabins have cabins above and below so would be quieter. 5021 is further forward of 6029 by about 40 feet..

My choice would be 6029 as it is closer to mid-ships and next to the group of VB cabins.

Of the three cabins, I'd go with either of the side cabins over the aft. The scenery is more often to the side than it is behind you.

In my opinion it doesn't really matter which side you're on. We ended up port side for our trip earlier this year, though we were on deck ten and thus had easy access to starboard side either outside above Lido or inside the Crows Nest.

As narrow as the inside passage is, there's great scenery and wildlife on both sides of the ship. Same was true as we were entering/departing Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Seward. Our ship (Noordam) was port side to the dock in Juneau, Skagway, and Seward; though that's often luck of the draw and can go either way. In Glacier Bay you'll want to be outside on the bow or observation deck anyway, and they spin the ship at the glacier so everyone gets a look.

Thank you all. You confirmed many of the same opinions I had about these cabins.

Of the three cabins, I'd go with either of the side cabins over the aft. The scenery is more often to the side than it is behind you.

In my opinion it doesn't really matter which side you're on. We ended up port side for our trip earlier this year, though we were on deck ten and thus had easy access to starboard side either outside above Lido or inside the Crows Nest.

As narrow as the inside passage is, there's great scenery and wildlife on both sides of the ship. Same was true as we were entering/departing Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Seward. Our ship (Noordam) was port side to the dock in Juneau, Skagway, and Seward; though that's often luck of the draw and can go either way. In Glacier Bay you'll want to be outside on the bow or observation deck anyway, and they spin the ship at the glacier so everyone gets a look.

A couple of questions, GBP11...

1. I am curious about your comment about seeing great scenery on both sides of the ship through the Inside Passage. Is there any advantage to the starboard side over the port side once you have finished sailing the Inside Passage?

2. I keep reading on other threads about how great it is to have an aft cabin. I must admit that I do like the idea of a larger balcony and I thought maybe you'd see great scenery/wildlife after the ship passed. Comments?

3. If the ship makes a 360 degree turn in Glacier Bay, wouldn't you have a good view of the glaciers from an aft balcony? Why would you need to go to the bow or the observation deck?

2. I keep reading on other threads about how great it is to have an aft cabin. I must admit that I do like the idea of a larger balcony and I thought maybe you'd see great scenery/wildlife after the ship passed. Comments?

What I don't like about them is that as soon as something especially worth seeing (e.g. wildlife) comes into view it is rapidly receding. Or sometimes it leaves before you get there. You get much longer viewing times on the sides.

3. If the ship makes a 360 degree turn in Glacier Bay, wouldn't you have a good view of the glaciers from an aft balcony? Why would you need to go to the bow or the observation deck?

When you at Margerie Glacier the ship will sit still for a long time, usually with the glacier at about the 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock position. When it is time to go, they will do a slow 540 degree rotation and leave. You don't get to see the glacier for nearly as long.

---

Edited by catl331

1. Once you leave Glacier Bay and are sailing in the Gulf of Alaska, the land that can be seen is to starboard. Port side will just have a water view.

2. If you read close in those threads, most concern having a SB Neptune Aft Wrap. A VC is not quite the same. A Verandah cabin is approximately 9 ft. wide. The VC Aft balcony is still only 9 ft. wide but is 10 ft. deep. A Port/Starboard Verandah cabin is 9 ft. wide and the depth of the balcony varies by which deck it is on. They are, for the most part, 4.5 - 6 ft. deep. I suggest that you type in Noordam 8141 (or another Vista-class ship) into your browser for photos.

3. Depending on if there is another ship in the bay will determine the direction/approach that the captain takes. Most of the time it will be a port side approach with a counter-clockwise rotation. Thus aft sees it last as you cruise away. On our last cruise we were on the Rotterdam deck. The bow was open on our deck so we started there, then went to the Promenade deck (for HAL Pea Soup), and then back to our cabin's balcony to just sit and enjoy.

GREAT INFORMATION! Thanks so much.

In case these port rooms get snapped up before I can book, would you recommend a port side cabin on a similar deck (Deck 5 or 6) or the aft cabin?