Disembarking Summit - car service timings

cricket19

Hi, I wondered if someone can give me some advice. I'm trying to work out what time we should book a car service for when we disembark. I know we don't know exactly what time we will be leaving the ship - although I have read lots of posts which makes me realise it will be early on the Sunday morning. However, I'm unsure how long to leave for clearing immigration - we are non US citizens travelling on an ESTA.

One of the car services I managed to do live chat with said it was difficult to give timings but possibly allow 45 mins - 1 hour. Do you think this is reasonable? (We will be going to Times Square).

I use a car service from Bayonne to Fair Lawn and I usually get off ship around 9 9:30 and call the service once I get my luggage by the time I get thur customs I call the service again and they tell my where to meet them.

Edited by Robertac1004

This was my experience with using a car service on our June 12, 2016 Summit cruise. It is excerpted from my review of our cruise. You might want to consider this service. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

The last thing I wanted to discuss is a new service that Celebrity has introduced which I believe is called Private Destinations. Destination Dave is the person in charge of this service on Summit. His office is located next to Shore Excursions on deck three. He will arrange private tours and events for passengers wanting a concierge type experience in the different ports. However, I found out from reading the daily activities sheet that he also would arrange private car ship to airport transfers for passengers.

This is a great deal if you wish to use it. We met Dave on Deck 3 at 7:45 a.m. on debarkation day. He personally walked us off the ship, took us to the warehouse to pick up our luggage, walked us through a special line at U. S. Border and Customs, and onto the street where our private car service was waiting at the curb to take us to Newark Airport for our noon flight home. The time from meet to car was approximately 35 minutes. The cost was $130.00 for the two of us which included the cost of the car and driver. This is real value for the money in our opinion. It was stress free and thanks to Dave's personality and planning a pleasant experience.

Or, you can just do the same exact thing as the post above on your own for half the price. ;)

I'd give your driver a 9am time, then once you collect your luggage, give them a call and hopefully, the driver is close or sitting in a lot close by waiting for your call. We used Dial7 and paid about $50 including tolls (plus tip) in a Lincoln Continental/Towncar type vehicle. Great, quiet, quick & private service.

Thank you for all your helpful replies.

tbyrd79 - We did think about Uber but there are 4 of us with a fair amount of luggage as the cruise is only part of a longer holiday. Also, I'm not keen on not having a fixed price.

Robertac1004 - Can I ask the name of the company you used in Bayonne. I have been looking at companies in Manhattan as we will be there both before and after the cruise. It may be better to use one from Manhattan before the cruise and a local Bayonne one after.

drychi - Thank you - it sounds like a good service but is a bit too expensive for me.

DrivesLikeMario - Dail7, along with Carmellimo are the 2 companies I have found with the most competitive rates. I was just concerned that we might end up paying a large 'waiting' fee if we are delayed getting through customs.

We took an UberXL last year and it was the easiest and cheapest option by far. If you choose the XL you're guaranteed a larger SUv style vehicle. I had a bicycle and our luggage.

Honestly car services and taxis in NJ are a horrendous rip off... Hence Uber and lyft winning the market.

Sign up for the service and get 20-30 off your first ride usually too! Just 'haill' them when you are picking up your liggagw or even from ship. You'll see if there are ubers near or far from port and can time your 'hailing' time appropriately.. Will save a ton of money and you'll likely have a much nicer vehicle.

We took an UberXL last year and it was the easiest and cheapest option by far. If you choose the XL you're guaranteed a larger SUv style vehicle. I had a bicycle and our luggage.

Honestly car services and taxis in NJ are a horrendous rip off... Hence Uber and lyft winning the market.

Sign up for the service and get 20-30 off your first ride usually too! Just 'haill' them when you are picking up your liggagw or even from ship. You'll see if there are ubers near or far from port and can time your 'hailing' time appropriately.. Will save a ton of money and you'll likely have a much nicer vehicle.

Are you saying there is no need to prearrange? We are flying into NJ for Summit cruise this weekend, and have not made any arrangements to get to port. Thank you.

Marie