Switching from Quad to Two Twins

Can you do this? Was scrolling through the El Cheapo thread and came across this comment from "The Big M"

Looks like they didn't reduce the 3/4 rate. RCL often only reduce the twin share rate, which is a real pain, especially for those with 3 (so you can't switch to two twin shares like quads can usually).

Can you actually switch from a Quad to two twins after you've book the quad? Do you pay the difference between the quad and the two twins? So if a twin special came up on the cruise that you booked a quad for, you could switch to two twins and receive even maybe a reduced fare?

Can you do this? Was scrolling through the El Cheapo thread and came across this comment from "The Big M"

Can you actually switch from a Quad to two twins after you've book the quad? Do you pay the difference between the quad and the two twins? So if a twin special came up on the cruise that you booked a quad for, you could switch to two twins and receive even maybe a reduced fare?

if its the cruise on the Emerald Princess you would be able to change from a Quad to 2 twins but you would have to speak to your booking agent

you can log into princess and do a dummy booking and see the price but i had a look and its much cheaper to keep the Quad room.....with 4 in the room its not a lot of room but its only to sleep and shower

I was talking about switching in your plans from a quad to twins i.e. before booking.

However, if you already have a booking you may be able to do it before final payment, if you booked direct. If through a TA, they often have extra cancellation restrictions that would prevent it or at least make it more difficult.

I was talking about switching in your plans from a quad to twins i.e. before booking.

However, if you already have a booking you may be able to do it before final payment, if you booked direct. If through a TA, they often have extra cancellation restrictions that would prevent it or at least make it more difficult.

Unlikely many TA's would charge cancellation outside of the cruise line's cancellation charge (if any), especially when it's essentially changing from one booking to two.

Edited by Royalty X

Unlikely many TA's would charge cancellation outside of the cruise line's cancellation charge (if any), especially when it's essentially changing from one booking to two.

There certainly have been cases of that. No point giving the wrong expectations and expecting it to be straightforward.

Unfortunately getting a good TA is imo below the balance of probabilities.

I've learned from past experience that it's usually cheaper to book twins if you can, especially if you book a GTY cabin. It's fine if it's all adults but there are problems doing this with children in a GTY as one person must be 18 or over in each cabin. We've been able to book twins for children on normal fares provided we can get cabins near each other. If it's only a matter of an extra $100 or less pp I always go for the twins where possible in any category.