Trip Insurance

LMA5876

My family and I are sailing out on the NCL Dream in February 2006. I have never purchased trip insurance before but feel it is a good thing to have this time. Any suggestions on best packages/companies? I have looked at insure........com but there are so many different options and it's a little confusing to me. All opinions welcome. Thank You!

I also got insurance, but from Travelsafe.com. I tried to claim some breakage of an item in our luggage, but they said you have to use your homeowners ins. So if you need it for trip cancellation it is a great tool to have especially if there are flight cancellations or sickness.:)

My family and I are sailing out on the NCL Dream in February 2006. I have never purchased trip insurance before but feel it is a good thing to have this time. Any suggestions on best packages/companies? I have looked at insure........com but there are so many different options and it's a little confusing to me. All opinions welcome. Thank You!

I have bought policies from the site I think you are referring to and just bought one the other day for my upcoming cruise. Its tedious but you just have to read the policies to find the right one for what you want/need. I did not want trip cancellation insurance but only a medical policy so that if something bad happened out of the country I would be covered for medical coverage and evacuation. It ended up costing around 27 dollars for two of us for the whole thing. The other thing to pay attention to is the rating of the company which they include in the policy summaries.

This year I thought I would cut costs and only buy the medical portion of the insurance. Unfortunately, due to the untimely death of a nephew, the air fare home mid trip was quite costly. I don't think I would ever consider not buying the whole package again. Too much stress, trying to get home under those circumstances. I will say the NCL could not have been more helpful or understanding. Life takes many turns, be sure you cover the unexpected.

Thank you all for your responses and comments. I did read the article about the poor woman and her family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them through this difficult time. If there was any hesitation in my thoughts before, I will certainly be buying trip insurance now and in the future.

We do land and cruise travel fairly frequently. this year I bought a full year family policy from MedJetAssist. It will take you from a hospital you may be in to any one you choose. That way you can be treated and admitted but you won't have to stay unless in very unstable condition. It covers anywhere they can safely land, as long as it is more than 150 miles from your home.

Besides that I purchased a "lite" policyfrom TravelX to cover the cruises we have in the next few months.

The cost was not much more than the most comprehensive cruise only quote.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Gail

We were scheduled to sail tomorrow morning on the Dawn. Thankfully, for the first time ever we purchased travel insurance for this trip. Two days ago we cancelled the trip because my sister is dying. Because of the insurance, we will recover nearly all the expense of the cruise. Instead of going ahead with the sailing, and fearing the ring of the telephone, we are able to remain here with her.

We will never ever ever ever purchase a trip without the insurance. Thank heavens we have a great TA who makes the appropriate recommendations! We are so thankful for the insurance.

Archived