How to do the Galley (Kitchen) tour?

ferretface

On every Carnival cruise, there will be a galley tour offered. It's announced in the "Capers". Some tours are good, some are not worth going to. None are longer than 10-15 minutes - in my experience. You don't go through the actual galley where they're cooking; you go through the prep area. Each one I've been on (several) have had someone making garnishes, or ice sculptures, and that's about it. No samples to taste, so don't expect that. My career was in the hospitality/food industry, and the several tours I've taken were very disappointing. BUT - maybe the one you take will be outstanding....?

Sorry, too late to edit the above, and I didn't intend for it to be such a 'downer'. I came back to say that a lot of people have thoroughly enjoyed the galley tours. Look for it in the Capers and go. It might be one of the better ones, because they DO vary with each cruise...and everyone's perspective is different. I've seen sous chefs and pastry chefs and the asst. F&B director conduct the tours - never the waiters. Whatever - Enjoy!

On our last cruise on the Inspiration in September they cancalled the Galley tours. We asked the head waiter and he said it was gone for good. He said for security reasons but that made no sense to me. I ahve always liked the tours. He said they are doinf the little food demonstrations on deck instead. Cindy

We have done the galley tour three times (not on the Glory) and each one was different, even on same ship, but a yr later. It was quite interesting to find out how many dozens of eggs, pounds of flour, etc they use in 7 days. It will blow your mind away! The actual galley tour was not as good as I had hoped, but when you think about it, they can't let you go through areas where there is actual food prep going on due to sanitary reasons. Each time it was unbelievably spotless! The fun part came afterward. They have various activities going on as you come out of the galley. Sometimes it is some food being prepared for you to sample. (Maybe from their cookbook which you can purchase.) Once they showed how to fold the towel animals. That was really fun! Another time they had unusual liquers to sample and buy, of course. The tour was always on our last day at sea in the afternoon. I wish the timing had been diferent. I like to get in that last minute sun tanning and gazing at the ocean before we head back to reality.

Archived