cruise insurance

Do you take out cruise insurance ,never have in the past just cover for places visited what do others do.

Wouldn't go without cruise insurance - would be worried that we would not be covered on a normal travel policy if we needed to be airlifted from ship to shore. Didn't cost much to upgrade our policy to cruise cover.

Edited by campolady

Travel insurance is an absolute must have.

Many cruisers, including us, have it through a packaged bank account, others take out annual standalone policies.

Check with whoever offers or provides you a policy (reading the small print is essential) to find out what exactly is covered/not covered on a cruise, including the geographical limitations etc.

For example, if you are into adventurous pursuits which may have hazardous aspects (jet skis ?) you may not be covered in case of an incident.

Years ago Thomsons and Thomas Cook etc. had to stop acting as agents for clients booking moped and scooter hire due to the number of accidents resulting in hospital stays because punters had been drinking and/or not wearing helmets thereby removing insurance cover.

Being airlifted off etc is covered under my normal insurance (checked today) but not covered if the ship misses a port or we are confined to cabin which you get if you buy "cruise" insurance. I'm fine with that

Most policies will cover you for cruises but offer "cruise extra" which includes missed ports and confinement to cabin (e.g. due to Norovirus) as Tina has said. Obviously read the small print very carefully. We use a comparison site and tick the cruise option. I also check that every country we are visiting is covered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Most policies will cover you for cruises but offer "cruise extra" which includes missed ports and confinement to cabin (e.g. due to Norovirus) as Tina has said. Obviously read the small print very carefully. We use a comparison site and tick the cruise option. I also check that every country we are visiting is covered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, important to check. 'World wide' oddly sometimes doesn't cover the USA and Caribbean! Some say world wide except US so check carefully it's really world wide ie includes USA if you're going to the Caribbean!

Yes, important to check. 'World wide' oddly sometimes doesn't cover the USA and Caribbean! Some say world wide except US so check carefully it's really world wide ie includes USA if you're going to the Caribbean!

Strangely too' Kruzseeka, Staysure do two policies for Europe, one for all of Europe and one that doesn't include Cyprus, Greece, Malta, Spain Turkey, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia!

Also the one that doesn't include America and the Caribbean, also excludes Canada, Bermuda, Mexico, Thailand, China and Hong Kong.

Insurance really is a minefield :rolleyes:

Strangely too' Kruzseeka, Staysure do two policies for Europe, one for all of Europe and one that doesn't include Cyprus, Greece, Malta, Spain Turkey, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia!

Also the one that doesn't include America and the Caribbean, also excludes Canada, Bermuda, Mexico, Thailand, China and Hong Kong.

Insurance really is a minefield :rolleyes:

Hadn't realised that Linda. Really does pay to check the small print. :rolleyes: