Getaway Flavored Vodka?

QuickieGlenn

True, except clearly the point is to make it "Free + $1.95 copay" with the UDP. Honestly, I'd much rather have that option than have NCL just eliminate them completely, like they did with a lot of the wines by the glass.

I LOVE it- the drink co-pay!! I just finished doing a huge research paper on health care systems- you made my day!

True, except clearly the point is to make it "Free + $1.95 copay" with the UDP. Honestly, I'd much rather have that option than have NCL just eliminate them completely, like they did with a lot of the wines by the glass.

haha I love it. I agree. Very few people are paying out of pocket for drinks between people getting the UBP promo or paying for it.

So when they raise the price but leave the price per bottle the same, it is clearly aimed at getting that surcharge or "co-pay" as you call it.

Looking at insurance claims all day at work, using that term made me laugh out loud here, so thanks for that!

And I agree, I hope they don't change in the next 30 days to not allow us the option of paying the co-pay.

So not one single malt scotch is available on the UBP now!

Glenlivet on Princess is about $8.95 a shot - within their $10 package limit (which covers just about everything including speciality coffees for much less pppd).

It's clear that NCL is trying to squeeze more money out of people by raising prices above the UBP limits. The problem is that these hugely inflated prices also hit the people who don't want to take the UBP for one reason or another. When I went on my first NCL cruise I thought the drink prices were very reasonable -- they were between $6 - $8.50 which I thought was a very fair price. At the current prices I'm suspecting I won't drink much at all --- I don't mind paying for the drinks but no one likes to feel like the prices they are being charged are way out of line.

It strikes me that there is a vicious circle going on here.

1. Give away UBPs to most pax.

2. Need to realise some revenue so tack on 18% grats.

3. Raise price of UBP to increase the 18% take so then need to raise upper limit to 'justify' said increase.

4. Raise drinks prices way above inflation to take some out of the UBP.

5. Raise price of UBP and raising the threshold a bit to justify it (also increasing the 18% take).

Rinse and repeat.

NCL either have no clue on their pricing model to turn a profit - or - they are out to screw their passengers for the maximum amount possible.

I leave the reader to decide...