ImaGEMing - a long awaited cruise... August 2016

TrixieBel

We, too, are sorry to hear about your uncle. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Your photos on board the Gem make me want to grab a cab across town to the pier today! We've gotten used to sailing her regularly, so a 9-month wait until our next cruise is hard.

In your photo of RJ in Le Bistro, I swear I recognize the waiter in the back, Marlon. We've known him for many cruises.

Also, meant to say that most of your pictures of the towel figures are new to us! Someone in housekeeping must have made changes. They are wonderful.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to post your review. You have a full day planned here in NYC before flying back home tomorrow. Thank goodness the Weather Gods cooperated and gave you wonderful weather.

Patricia

Thanks for your kind comments everyone!

Our last day was pretty full. It's now after midnight and hubby and I are awake because he had to call our bank in Australia and cancel our credit card. Seems that somewhere along the way today our card was skimmed and someone was having fun without us in Vegas this evening. Welcome to New York!

Anyway, we sailed in at sunrise to some beautiful views of the city.

3ebe8db4b5fd4a54d162b1d4d3810723.jpg

Debarkation was pretty relaxed for us. We were out of the cabin before 8am; had a relaxed breakfast in Moderno; met Elvina down on deck 7 in the theatre; and then walked off and we're through the customs check and out in a taxi pretty quickly. To make it a quick process you definitely want to get a porter - the line for those without porters was long.

We did indeed visit ground zero and we went through the memorial museum. Very sobering as I well remember the event and the media coverage at the time. It was late night in Sydney on 9/11 and hubby and I were in bed watching The West Wing. There was a breaking news announcement about a situation in New York and we were a little confused about whether it was real or part of the episode of The West Wing...

e92911efb4c5c65304d634b52fe6ed11.jpg

We made a stop at Sephora to shop for our older daughters birthday, and we bought tickets to the matinee of Cirque du Soleil - Paramour at the Lyric Theatre on Broadway.

963fc8c63d7d9a25b4b05fbe5bd72e80.jpg

Our room at the Sofitel has a view of this pretty building...

d1e866891007b8484dd40fc477be14d7.jpg

And we finished off the night with dinner at a little Italian restaurant Ceci, that has gluten free pasta and pizza.

If not for the credit card issue, it would have been the perfect last day.

We are off to the airport early in the morning for a 12.5hr flight to Dubai, a 2hr layover, and then a 13.5hr flight to Sydney. Arrrgh...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us TrixieBel. It seems like you and your family had a great time. The pictures were awesome ;). I am so sorry about the loss of your uncle and will say a prayer for your family. Too bad that someone was able to skim your credit card :eek: but thankfully you caught it early on!

Safe travels back to Sydney.

great pictures Trixie, i know you bumped into my mom ( coney gal) on one of the days, my family had a great time. Bernadette, the special diet consultant was great, my daughter always had a great meal to have in all of the specialty restaurants. I agree with you about the hostess at the Teppananki restaurant, she was not handling the people great. We loved the shows and the music played in the Magnum lounge, plus the long island ice teas were great. Sorry i didn't have a chance to meet you but glad you had a great trip.