ImaGEMing - a long awaited cruise... August 2016

TrixieBel

So, we are in the Haven courtyard this morning and have already seen one guy come out early and "save" two pool side recliners, then disappear. It's been 2hrs since he did that and still no sign of him back. My hubby just used one of those recliners for 45mins ;-)

Then a very elegantly dressed woman arrived, settled on a recliner, then was asked by the pool attendant if she was staying in the Haven. Answer was no, so she was walked out.

It's like a new sport watching the happenings around here [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by TrixieBel

ef0229d43dd2d5963d66314ca477b46f_thumb.jpg

On the POA last year we really enjoyed spending time in the bar at the aft. On GEM this is kind of an overflow area for the main buffet and there are many many tables squashed together. But you can still get a drink here as evidenced by my 1/2 finished Bushwacker above [emoji41][emoji106][emoji484]

5468d0d21ea6a622e5dc148532bc8ddb_thumb.jpg

Update: 3.14pm and the wifi is working ok!

For anyone wondering about the lobster situation on the Gem... I can confirm Cagney's does a beautiful lobster tail. And, their signature cocktail is pretty good too!

de210014deac10561846346f58262580_thumb.jpg

91d218c597d651997625f1884fc034d3_thumb.jpg

But, the artwork is pretty strange...

96c1f663e4a176ccd792a6f848e1d6d3_thumb.jpg

For anyone wondering about the lobster situation on the Gem... I can confirm Cagney's does a beautiful lobster tail. And, their signature cocktail is pretty good too!

de210014deac10561846346f58262580_thumb.jpg

91d218c597d651997625f1884fc034d3_thumb.jpg

But, the artwork is pretty strange...

96c1f663e4a176ccd792a6f848e1d6d3_thumb.jpg

We were disappointed with the Cagneys dinner and the fact that it was actually a HALF of a lobster tail. Overall, we had a nice Gem cruise last week and are missing her today!

Edited by conandrob240

I'm so sorry your lobster was not good conandrob240. Mine was a nice texture and beautifully cooked. And my steak was perfectly cooked and very tender...

I'll be missing the Gem at this time next week too. Trying not to think about that.

RJ and I did family karaoke. Well, it was actually RJ doing the singing... She got a great round of applause which was lovely - since she really can't sing and her speech is pretty unclear. It was so nice of all the families there to applaud her loudly.

bd410a76d6fe9f1e02024dcb188f2b9d_thumb.jpg

After the Karaoke, we went off to the 9pm show, where hubby and RJ promptly both fell asleep to the sounds of the stage show Swing. I thought the show was very well staged, and the cast were all talented singers, musicians and dancers. The singing talent was a vast improvement on family karaoke of course!

Our towel animal from Terrence was waiting for us.

3d6927ec8fc776d3a1ffd3d27ae5130f_thumb.jpg

We all snuggled down for a second night of being rocked to sleep by the motion of the ship, but not before I tallied up the alcohol for the day: "just" five alcoholic drinks today. Two before lunch, one mid-afternoon, champagne at the captain's cocktail party in the Haven courtyard, and the signature cocktail in Cagney's. That's five more than I would usually have in a day [emoji12]

RJ's gluten free offerings have been good today. French toast and bacon for breakfast; BLT and chips/crisps for lunch; jumbo shrimp cocktail, potato soup, queen prime rib, brussels sprouts, and flourless chocolate cake for dinner. Oh, and there was sliced fruit and gluten free turkey sandwiches delivered by Lea to our cabin in the afternoon. She's not fading away [emoji57]

It's nearly 5am and as per usual for this middle-aged woman, I am awake. This does seem like a good time for internet speed.

Today we dock in Port Canaveral at 1pm. Hubby is heading off on the Kennedy Space Centre tour and RJ and I are going to stay on ship. We may visit the spa, or maybe we'll find a table somewhere near a bar and snacks...

The ship is BUSY. We chatted with a couple from Virginia at the captain's party who are travelling with their granddaughter. They are not staying in Haven and they let us know the ship is at capacity for this sailing, and they are struggling to enjoy the ship's spaces with their granddaughter.

We have been grateful that we have the relative tranquility of Haven to come back to, although there is some water damaged carpet down the opposite hallway. Right outside cabin 14510. The staff have a blower on it all day, but it has mildewed and so the blower is just spreading the smell (and mildew molecules) down that entire hallway.

We would be having problems if we were down that hallway because hubby gets asthma. I imagine people staying on that side are not happy. And, I'm pretty sure (actually, totally sure) just blowing air on a patch of mildew is not going to solve anything. That piece of carpet needs to be cut out!

Anyway, "talk" to you all later!

Edited by TrixieBel

May I ask the cost of upgrading from the 250 min promo to unlimited internet?

Thank you!

Hi imnance - the cost was the difference between the 250min package ($125?) and the unlimited package ($209?). We went to the manned Internet desk in the art gallery on boarding day to organise it.

We can only have one device using it at a time, and RJ has it most of the time with hubby and I checking in every now and then.

It can be sloooow and drop out when we are around the ship, but in our cabin and at this early hour it's comparable to our speed at home.

RJ and I did family karaoke. Well, it was actually RJ doing the singing... She got a great round of applause which was lovely - since she really can't sing and her speech is pretty unclear. It was so nice of all the families there to applaud her loudly.

bd410a76d6fe9f1e02024dcb188f2b9d_thumb.jpg

After the Karaoke, we went off to the 9pm show, where hubby and RJ promptly both fell asleep to the sounds of the stage show Swing. I thought the show was very well staged, and the cast were all talented singers, musicians and dancers. The singing talent was a vast improvement on family karaoke of course!

Our towel animal from Terrence was waiting for us.

3d6927ec8fc776d3a1ffd3d27ae5130f_thumb.jpg

We all snuggled down for a second night of being rocked to sleep by the motion of the ship, but not before I tallied up the alcohol for the day: "just" five alcoholic drinks today. Two before lunch, one mid-afternoon, champagne at the captain's cocktail party in the Haven courtyard, and the signature cocktail in Cagney's. That's five more than I would usually have in a day [emoji12]

RJ's gluten free offerings have been good today. French toast and bacon for breakfast; BLT and chips/crisps for lunch; jumbo shrimp cocktail, potato soup, queen prime rib, brussels sprouts, and flourless chocolate cake for dinner. Oh, and there was sliced fruit and gluten free turkey sandwiches delivered by Lea to our cabin in the afternoon. She's not fading away [emoji57]

It's nearly 5am and as per usual for this middle-aged woman, I am awake. This does seem like a good time for internet speed.

Today we dock in Port Canaveral at 1pm. Hubby is heading off on the Kennedy Space Centre tour and RJ and I are going to stay on ship. We may visit the spa, or maybe we'll find a table somewhere near a bar and snacks...

The ship is BUSY. We chatted with a couple from Virginia at the captain's party who are travelling with their granddaughter. They are not staying in Haven and they let us know the ship is at capacity for this sailing, and they are struggling to enjoy the ship's spaces with their granddaughter.

We have been grateful that we have the relative tranquility of Haven to come back to, although there is some water damaged carpet down the opposite hallway. Right outside cabin 14510. The staff have a blower on it all day, but it has mildewed and so the blower is just spreading the smell (and mildew molecules) down that entire hallway.

We would be having problems if we were down that hallway because hubby gets asthma. I imagine people staying on that side are not happy. And, I'm pretty sure (actually, totally sure) just blowing air on a patch of mildew is not going to solve anything. That piece of carpet needs to be cut out!

Anyway, "talk" to you all later!

My brother Kenny is in the Haven with you with his GF her son and his daughter and her son-say hi for me-they will be so shocked! Have fun!

boopsahoy - will they know who "boopsahoy" is? Any hints on what they look like or the ages of the children? It seems everyone in here has children with them...

And actually, it really hasn't been that busy in here. I'm thinking many are having their breakfast delivered, and the people staying in the Owners Suites and the 3bdrm are sticking to those rather than coming to the courtyard.

Edited by TrixieBel

boopsahoy - will they know who "boopsahoy" is? Any hints on what they look like or the ages of the children? It seems everyone in here has children with them...

Yes they will know Boopsahoy!

This is my brother Ken and his girlfriend Christine

enhance

His daughter Trish

enhance

and her son Jax!

enhance

We've had a swim in the Haven courtyard. Played our first ever game of bingo in Spinnaker lounge (looosers [emoji107]🏼), and are now in

Cagney's for lunch.

I had my first Long Island Iced Tea in Sinnakers (oops spelling!) and my second has just arrived. Tony is off on the Kennedy Space Centre tour soon, while RJ and I are going to hang on the ship and have plans to go down the slide. Should be fun after 2 LIT....

Here's the view on the way to Cagney's.

ab67ca4a6c52ac3f1fb2275d53a622bd.jpg

a4ed9dad5ff3b441b6f97ed532d0cd28.jpg

And, here's some more of this (what we Australian's think) very strange artwork in Cagney's...

c7dd6de3f930ca3a85bfedc14e976bce.jpg

49dd97d22191e6cb1604189affdcb0c6.jpg

I'm guessing that Cagney's has a Prohibition-era speakeasy mobster theme? That's the only thing I can think of that might explain the choice of "art."

Sounds like a good time so far. Weather looks lovely. Have fun and thanks for the updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jm485

I'm guessing that Cagney's has a Prohibition-era speakeasy mobster theme? That's the only thing I can think of that might explain the choice of "art."

Yes....you are correct !

TrixieBel.. is Vuk the Hotel Director? And is Monica your concierge?

And can you find out if they will be there October?

Sounds like a good time so far. Weather looks lovely. Have fun and thanks for the updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

Cagneys is named after actor James Cagney who played mobsters and other characters from that prohibition/mobster/speakeasy era. If you are an American of a "certain" age the artwork is iconic!