Complete review of ziplining and beach cabana at Mahogany Bay incl. pics!

stressedmomof3

Thanks for your great review. I'm going to Roatan in a few weeks and had difficulty finding information. Do you recommend buying the excursion for the magic chairs through carnival? We had thought about buying the chair tickets on our own to save money but thought the cruise lines may save some clam shells up front for excursions, Really want a good view of the ocean

Hi.

Going to try and help;)

The magic chair rides themselves you can purchase at any time and is unlimited rides.

As for the clam shells, there were only a certain amount of clam shells for rent.

I did not notice myself if they were fully booked up before we set sail, but I can imagine they might be if there is more than one Carnival/Princess ship in port.

As far as I know on how the clam shells work, it's first come first serve on picking your clam shell ( they are not assigned).The front rows of the clam shells have the all of the views. All of the rest of the clam shells looked like their view was the back of the clam shell that was in front of them.

And if all clam shells sell out on the excursions before getting off of the boat- there will not be anymore clam shells to rent when the boat arrives at port.So in this instance, it might be beneficial to not only book the clam shells in advance, but be one of the first to get off of the ship.

I wish I could help more.:)

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all the great information. We had 8 going and had rented 2 cabanas but we lost two cruisers. Based on your information I think we can cancel one and just pay the extra for two. Your review was very helpful. thanks so much. Great pictures too.

• 3 weeks later...

A Few More Silly Questions -

My s-i-l are cruising together, and zip lining is on her bucket list. I'm terribly afraid of heights and have no interest! From looking at the photos/info, it seems like if I book a Magic Chair/clamshell package, and she books the zipline, we both end up on the same beach - is that right?

It's been a long time since I was at Mahogany Bay, and when I was there last I wasn't paying any attention at all to the zip lining. Thanks for the help, if anyone can answer this question.

Rochmom: The answer is Yes, you both will end up at the same beach ONLY if you use this zip lining company ( thru the ship or on your own).

There are a couple of different zip lining excursions Carnival offers, but only the one listed here will zip line you down to the same beach.

Hope this helps :)

On another note, I never realized that there were cabanas at Mahogany Bay. Since our cruise is only five days away, they are now sold out. :( I will definitely make note of it for next time, though.

Check with the excursion desk once onboard. Someone may end up cancelling. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Can you bring your own chair and umbrella, or blanket and sit it close to the water?

I am not exactly sure what you are going for, but I will try to answer. I had seen a lady there who did bring a plastic type blanket and used it to sit on with her little one near the water who was having fun dumping sand into the water ( the child looked about 2 or 3). But no one had a blanket out like they were laying out getting a tan in the sand near the water. Almost everyone was either in the water or used the chairs/clam shells on the beach.( Again, that I saw when I was there)

As for bringing your own chair and umbrella, I don't see how that would be very practical or enjoyable. The open beach area which has the sand that is between all of the chairs and the water is pretty much used a lot by people walking back and forth all the time and kids playing in the sand.If it were possible for you to bring your own umbrella/chair I would think that you would be asked to place it behind all of the other chairs and clam shells that are already on the beach. I would recommend doing a google search for Mahogany Bay Beach on the web and seeing some of the photos that pull up that would show you what I am talking about the small strip of beach where people walk and play.

Again, I did not see anyone do this myself, it's just my opinion.

Wish I could help you more.

Thank you very much, stressedmomof3!! Glad to know aerial chairlift is not a necessity as some in ur party are not fans of heights. Perfect info! Thanks for taking the pics and the time to share your experience with us!:)

Does anyone know if the zip lining prices are cheaper if you buy them directly at the office versus through the ship? Hubbie and I are renting a cabana but our 2 adult sons would like to go zip lining so hearing that they could zip line back to the beach right near the cabana is perfect!

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the zip lining prices are cheaper if you buy them directly at the office versus through the ship? Hubbie and I are renting a cabana but our 2 adult sons would like to go zip lining so hearing that they could zip line back to the beach right near the cabana is perfect!

At the time we went, the prices were the same whether you booked via the ship or in person at their check in. Just be sure to tell the kids to get the EXREME zip not the Express zip. Extreme will bring them back down on the beach like you are asking.

• 1 month later...

We have been thinking of renting a cabana for our next cruise. We (myself and my wife) will be traveling with my sister and her husband, and my parents as well as 3 children ( 3, 1, and 7 months). do you know if the children will need their own ticket, or would we only need to pay for 6 adults? we were thinking that the cabana would be a nice place for the babies to get out of the heat if needed. but if our group requires 9 tickets (2 cabanas +1 extra person ) it would cost almost $600 and I don't know if we could justify that.

• 2 weeks later...
We have been thinking of renting a cabana for our next cruise. We (myself and my wife) will be traveling with my sister and her husband, and my parents as well as 3 children ( 3, 1, and 7 months). do you know if the children will need their own ticket, or would we only need to pay for 6 adults? we were thinking that the cabana would be a nice place for the babies to get out of the heat if needed. but if our group requires 9 tickets (2 cabanas +1 extra person ) it would cost almost $600 and I don't know if we could justify that.

This question would actually be need at the excursion desk, really. They reinforced that the max. amount any one could book was 6 for each cabana, but I was not in your situation with little kids. I was thee with my husband and three kids and had to buy a ticket for all over the 4 person limit. Wish I could help you more, but my guess would be you would need 2 cabanas.Or maybe call in a few times to see if there is someone or a higher up that knows of something legally you can do that most call operators do not ;)

I really don't think you would need a cabana at Mahogany Bay beach. There is tons of shade, as well as clamshells for rent. And it isn't that far to walk back to the ship if you want. This is one beach I just wouldn't spend the money for a cabana. My 2 cents.

From the Carnival shore excursion FAQ page

Are there any children's prices for shore excursions?

Yes. Children between the ages of 4 to 12 years and teens between the ages of 13 to 18 years will be charged full adult price, or special child/teen prices when applicable and noted. Infants ages 3 and younger sitting on a parent’s lap and therefore not occupying a seat, are not charged for most shore excursions. These excursions are indicated with the 'Infants Free' advisory. There are also some shore excursions that require that each guest purchase a ticket, regardless of age. This will be noted in the specific shore excursion’s description. If a parent would like their infant to occupy a seat, where it is not required, then the parent must purchase an excursion ticket for the infant at the published excursion price or child price, where available. Parents are also responsible for bringing a safety seat for their child if required.

The Carnival excursion page for these cabansa does not mention age exclusions. My thought was that they wouldn't say anything if all the adults had bracelets and the kids didn't, but we all know what happens when you assume. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with young children at this location. I think the best option is to e-mail the shore excursion department and get an official response, and go from there.