Which dock in Venice?

podnposie

I'm excited that we will be sailing on the Viking Sea on Sept. 16. It seems that there are two dock areas, the Marittima basin and the San Basilio pier. Does anyone know at which the Sea will be berthed? We'd like to stay at a B&B fairly close to it.

Altair50 thanks for getting back to me. I've read that one of the Viking Star cruises docked at the S. Basilo pier and now you say your cruise docked at the other. The Venice Cruise Terminal ship listing is no help. Hopefully, my info packet (which is arriving Friday) will let us know for sure. Thanks again.

Trina

How do you plan to get from airport to ship? I'm arriving a couple days early. Staying at a Marriott in Venice before trip. I'm checking out transportation from airport to hotel. Any suggestions? :confused:

I'm not flying into Marco Polo this time but in the past it's been easy to take the #5 ATVO "Venezia Express" bus from the airport to Venice Piazzale Roma. From there you can take a water bus or water taxi to or near most hotels. If you're willing to spend a lot more you can take a water taxi from the airport right to your hotel.

Your ship is currently docked in Venice. It is close to the same location where we were docked aboard the Viking Star in April. I will try to attach its location at the end of this message. If it doesn't work, you can google "Marine Traffic" and click on AIS. On top right search for Viking Sea and select Passenger Ship. A picture of the Viking Sea should appear. Then select Live Maps at top and you should see her location in Venice.

Enjoy your cruise! We have booked again with Viking and will be going Into the Midnight Sun aboard the Viking Sky in June, 2017.

zoom:15

thanks for your help. Does the "Venezia Express" have room for luggage also? How expensive is it? About how much will water taxi cost from Venice Piazzale Roma to hotel along water way? Sorry for all the questions. I just like to plan ahead!!!!

Edited by pilot67

What cruise terminal were you docked at in Venice.

Thank you

Your ship is currently docked in Venice. It is close to the same location where we were docked aboard the Viking Star in April. I will try to attach its location at the end of this message. If it doesn't work, you can google "Marine Traffic" and click on AIS. On top right search for Viking Sea and select Passenger Ship. A picture of the Viking Sea should appear. Then select Live Maps at top and you should see her location in Venice.

Enjoy your cruise! We have booked again with Viking and will be going Into the Midnight Sun aboard the Viking Sky in June, 2017.

zoom:15

We were on a Viking cruise last September that started in Venice. The port location that was listed in our cruise documents was changed. We went in to Venice on our own a few days early and I think we found out about it by reading about it on CC (on our roll call). I don't think you can always count on the port location being the same. It's easy to spot the ship though once it's in the port. We got a water taxi and he knew exactly where to take us.

How do you plan to get from airport to ship? I'm arriving a couple days early. Staying at a Marriott in Venice before trip. I'm checking out transportation from airport to hotel. Any suggestions? :confused:

Most airport websites attempt to answer ground transportation question and most foreign airports allow you to read the information in English as well as the local language.

The other place to find answers to ground transportation question is TripAdvisor in the Q&A section for the city in question. Everyone wants to know how to get to and from the airport.

Sorry for all the questions. I just like to plan ahead!!!!

Don't apologize! :D That's what these forums are all about-- questions, answer and planning ahead.

Save

The Viking Sea has now left Venice. The attached picture (Hopefully I can get it to work this time) shows its past track and where it was located in Venice. In case it doesn't work, the GPS coordinates of its location while docked in Venice was N45° 26'13.55 E012°18'34.95.

781047030_VikingSealeavingVenice.jpg.1445f4520da8df02e6b93605478019a4.jpg

thanks for your help. Does the "Venezia Express" have room for luggage also? How expensive is it? About how much will water taxi cost from Venice Piazzale Roma to hotel along water way? Sorry for all the questions. I just like to plan ahead!!!!

It's been two years but I remember it was easy to find the express bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma. There is a info. desk in the airport lobby where they speak English and can point the way to the bus loading area (right out front). I think it cost less than 10 euros. There are also money conversion booths in the airport. I don't remember the cost of vaporetto (water bus) but I think it's around 7 euro. "livingveniceblog.com" has lots of info on this. They might not allow lots of luggage (more than one piece) so you may have to take the water taxi. I've never taken one but I think it costs a lot more than the water bus... Maybe x4 or x5. Good luck and have fun!

We spent 3 days post cruise in Venice (Med Odyssey Sept16) and found the vaporetto inexpensive and a great way to get around. We did use it to travel to the bus terminal with 1 large piece of luggage each (which became good chairs at the time).