Advice for Australians heading for the US of A

Love driving in the UK, done it several times. The Brits drive on he left side, which is the right side, lol.

But of course you love driving there...they drive on the Correct side of the road, & the signage is in the same language as yours.

Speaking of signage...saw this one near Boston, Massachusetts once.

It was a reminder to motorists to use their turn signals (blinkers).

But it was spelled out in the local dialect, which read: "Use ya Blinkahs!"

The M25 is real fun.

Is it as much fun as the M6?

I have the luxury of having my private chauffeur (aka "spouse") do the driving.

Edited by rumpelstiltskin

We have been into the USA 3 times before, but you learn something everytime you visit.

I got some US currency the other day, trouble is, it is all $50 notes. Suggestions for getting some change for the tipping notes, perhaps purchase a newspaper at LAX with a $50 note? I will need to tip the shuttle driver, so our suit cases don't get smashed on the pavement and the tip to the hotel porter at the Hilton, Huntington Beach, precruise?

What say ye?

We have been into the USA 3 times before, but you learn something everytime you visit.

I got some US currency the other day, trouble is, it is all $50 notes. Suggestions for getting some change for the tipping notes, perhaps purchase a newspaper at LAX with a $50 note? I will need to tip the shuttle driver, so our suit cases don't get smashed on the pavement and the tip to the hotel porter at the Hilton, Huntington Beach, precruise?

What say ye?

Break a couple in the airport on a bottle of water, newspaper, cup of coffee, etc.

You may on the off chance find someone who has recently returned from the US and is happy to exchange a bit of their spare for you, too. We always have a US wallet with US currency in it (My family are all over there, so we get over once every year or two), and we could usually change out a $50 or at least swap some aussie currency for $20 of small bills.

I just noticed you're in Bateman's Bay, my inlaws are down there, if you're stuck we might be able to help you out!

I got some US currency the other day, trouble is, it is all $50 notes. Suggestions for getting some change for the tipping notes, perhaps purchase a newspaper at LAX with a $50 note?

What say ye?

$50 notes will be a problem indeed.

Most American businesses will not accept anything larger than $20 notes because of the high risk of counterfeiting.

Oh, you will be told they don't have enough change, but the truth is they don't want to make you feel like a criminal.

Because you have so many $50 notes, here is what I suggest:

If you are flying Air NZ or Qantas, you will arrive at the Tom Bradley Terminal.

Before leaving the secured area, visit the ICE Currency Exchange on Level 4 near the Larder on Tavern.

Visit http://www.lawa.org for a terminal map.

Ask for mostly 20s and some smaller such as $5 & $1 notes.

The point is to get rid of all those $50s before you leave the airport.

If the CE won't exchange all the 50s, then visit a bank while you're out & about. They will exchange the notes for you.

Most American businesses will not accept anything larger than $20 notes because of the high risk of counterfeiting.

Oh, you will be told they don't have enough change, but the truth is they don't want to make you feel like a criminal.

It's unfortunate you've had that experience, I spend $50s in the US every time I'm there and have never had a problem. The cashier will often check the note because it is a high counterfeit risk as you say, but I've never had one say they couldn't take it or they didn't have change. Perhaps using a $50 on a candy bar or something might get a 'we don't have change' response especially early in the day?

Having a few small bills are helpful, but just within the last 5 years I've used lots of $50s in at least 5 states without incident.

Because you have so many $50 notes, here is what I suggest:

If you are flying Air NZ or Qantas, you will arrive at the Tom Bradley Terminal.

Before leaving the secured area, visit the ICE Currency Exchange on Level 4 near the Larder on Tavern.

Visit http://www.lawa.org for a terminal map.

Ask for mostly 20s and some smaller such as $5 & $1 notes.

The point is to get rid of all those $50s before you leave the airport.

If the CE won't exchange all the 50s, then visit a bank while you're out & about. They will exchange the notes for you.

Great advice, that I will do. Yes travelling Air NZ, in and out of Tom Bradley.

Thanks again.

I just noticed you're in Bateman's Bay, my inlaws are down there, if you're stuck we might be able to help you out!

Thanks, got our foreign currency from Post Office but going to hit all the banks today for a bit of a breakdown on my US $50 notes, as we leave next week. As we go through Auckland to LA, get some there maybe.

Your inlaws are down here? We have been here 11 years, @ Batehaven, 5km south of the CBD.

Edited by NSWP

Small world! Yes, they are in Batehaven as well. They moved down there about 9 years ago.

Best of luck with the small bills, but as I mentioned above I wouldn't be too concerned with spending $50s in the US. I lived there for 19 years and travel frequently there now, and I've never had a problem spending a $50 note.

Small world! Yes, they are in Batehaven as well. They moved down there about 9 years ago.

Best of luck with the small bills, but as I mentioned above I wouldn't be too concerned with spending $50s in the US. I lived there for 19 years and travel frequently there now, and I've never had a problem spending a $50 note.

Thanks again, I am not unduly worried re getting smaller notes.

Having a few small bills are helpful, but just within the last 5 years I've used lots of $50s in at least 5 states without incident.

Many businesses post that they do not accept larger than $20 notes.

However, I am glad that you have had success with the $50 notes.

Hopefully, Uncle Les will be spared the hassle, too.:)

Yes, hopefully so! I wonder if it's a regional difference? I've mainly been in areas where I'm visiting family, Michigan, Chicago, and California and a few stopovers inbetween. It's been many years since I've been in the south, on the eastern seaboard, etc.

Generally, the ones that don't take bills higher than $20 are fast food and that usually only late night. Your average store or restaurant will have no problem taking $50 bill. As for getting change for tips, the buying something small in airport is good, CE is also good option. Don't think need much more advice. Enjoy the trip

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...