Livorno to Lucca on a Sunday

cirpi

My wife and I hope to go from Livorno to Lucca on a Sunday. We will have a wheelchair for her, so we need advice on if it would be best to go by bus or by train.

Italian regional trains (and the stations) are tough with wheelchairs. And going to Lucca by train means finding a taxi to get you from the port to the Livorno train station (this is not always easy) and then you have to change trains at Pisa (with a long walk down the platform). Once at Lucca, it is a bit of a hike to get from the station over to the walled city (but it is flat). Also keep in mind that many of the small shops in Lucca are closed on Sundays. If you can get a bus excursion from the port...we think this is your best option. You also should post this type of question on the Disabled Cruise Travel...blog here on CC. Keep in mind that Europe does not have anything similar to the ADA...and there are numerous accessibility issues throughout the continent. With a wheelchair, scooter, or mobility limitations...one should carefully plan both the mode of transportation...and the itinerary.

One other option for Livorno (even on Sunday's) is to simply rent a car from Sifracar.com (the local Hertz franchisee). They will deliver a car right to the pier (only a few yards from the gang plank). Of course this means somebody has to drive the car (most are manual shift). But it does allow a lot of flexibility.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Italian regional trains (and the stations) are tough with wheelchairs. And going to Lucca by train means finding a taxi to get you from the port to the Livorno train station (this is not always easy) and then you have to change trains at Pisa (with a long walk down the platform). Once at Lucca, it is a bit of a hike to get from the station over to the walled city (but it is flat). Also keep in mind that many of the small shops in Lucca are closed on Sundays. If you can get a bus excursion from the port...we think this is your best option. You also should post this type of question on the Disabled Cruise Travel...blog here on CC. Keep in mind that Europe does not have anything similar to the ADA...and there are numerous accessibility issues throughout the continent. With a wheelchair, scooter, or mobility limitations...one should carefully plan both the mode of transportation...and the itinerary.

One other option for Livorno (even on Sunday's) is to simply rent a car from Sifracar.com (the local Hertz franchisee). They will deliver a car right to the pier (only a few yards from the gang plank). Of course this means somebody has to drive the car (most are manual shift). But it does allow a lot of flexibility.

Hank

Thank you, Hank. It also occurred to me that driving might be the best option. We've done the taxi and train bit to Lucca other times and found it to be a hassle. As for driving in Italy, that's not much of a problem for us since we have driven our own (Alfa and VW) or rental cars (all manual transmissions) several thousand miles since the early 1980s. I am 83, so the only question is if Sifiracar has an age cap. My age did not prevent me from renting a car in Civitavecchia last April.

Brad

Thank you, Hank. It also occurred to me that driving might be the best option. We've done the taxi and train bit to Lucca other times and found it to be a hassle. As for driving in Italy, that's not much of a problem for us since we have driven our own (Alfa and VW) or rental cars (all manual transmissions) several thousand miles since the early 1980s. I am 83, so the only question is if Sifiracar has an age cap. My age did not prevent me from renting a car in Civitavecchia last April.

Brad

Not sure about the age limit (still in my 60s so haven't run into the issue) but it sure wouldn't hurt to send Sifracar a message and ask the question. You can message them through their own website under "Contact." Do me a favor and post any answer you get...as it might be helpful to others (including moi). The beauty of using Sifracar (in Livorno) is the ability to both pick up and drop your car within a few yards of the gangplank. This is not possible in many other ports (like Civitavecchia). Sifracar does charge a premium for the pier side service...but when you consider the convenience of not having to use a taxi or shuttle bus...it is worth the extra Euros. They have a place on their home page for "Cruiseship Specials" that will get you started.

Hank

Not sure about the age limit (still in my 60s so haven't run into the issue) but it sure wouldn't hurt to send Sifracar a message and ask the question. You can message them through their own website under "Contact." Do me a favor and post any answer you get...as it might be helpful to others (including moi). The beauty of using Sifracar (in Livorno) is the ability to both pick up and drop your car within a few yards of the gangplank. This is not possible in many other ports (like Civitavecchia). Sifracar does charge a premium for the pier side service...but when you consider the convenience of not having to use a taxi or shuttle bus...it is worth the extra Euros. They have a place on their home page for "Cruiseship Specials" that will get you started.

Hank

Hank,

Consider it done. I emailed Sifracar moments ago. I also asked about Sunday delivery.

According to a dummy booking I made, the answer is no. I hope this was a misread. I should get an answer in the next day or so. Once more, thank you. I also emailed vintner friends near Asti and if there is any substance to their reply, I will share.

Hank,

Consider it done. I emailed Sifracar moments ago. I also asked about Sunday delivery.

According to a dummy booking I made, the answer is no. I hope this was a misread. I should get an answer in the next day or so. Once more, thank you. I also emailed vintner friends near Asti and if there is any substance to their reply, I will share.

Interesting. At one time they did Sunday deliveries for an extra fee...but then they stopped. But in April we booked a car from them for a Sunday delivery and they were at the pier with their usual kiosk and a number of other cars for other cruisers. If they have again stopped working on Sunday's, that would be a real bummer for many cruisers.

Hank

Interesting. At one time they did Sunday deliveries for an extra fee...but then they stopped. But in April we booked a car from them for a Sunday delivery and they were at the pier with their usual kiosk and a number of other cars for other cruisers. If they have again stopped working on Sunday's, that would be a real bummer for many cruisers.

Hank

I heard back from Siftracar with price quotes but no mention about Sunday deliveries.

I emailed them again and should hear back soon. In the meantime, can you send me your email address? Mine is cirpi at aol dot com. I have another idea NOT involving Lucca.

Brad

I heard back from Siftracar with price quotes but no mention about Sunday deliveries.

I emailed them again and should hear back soon. In the meantime, can you send me your email address? Mine is cirpi at aol dot com. I have another idea NOT involving Lucca.

Brad

Hank,

It's me again. I found another reply from Siftracar in my spam folder.

Here it is:

Hi Brad,

if you reserve the car in advance you'll find it in front of the cruise even on Sunday.

As to your age, if your driving permit is still valid, no problem. I'll be sending you our price list.

Thanks

Eva

Hank,

It's me again. I found another reply from Siftracar in my spam folder.

Here it is:

Hi Brad,

if you reserve the car in advance you'll find it in front of the cruise even on Sunday.

As to your age, if your driving permit is still valid, no problem. I'll be sending you our price list.

Thanks

Eva

You have to love those guys. So unlike Italian auto rental companies to be open on Sunday's and friendly.

Hank

You have to love those guys. So unlike Italian auto rental companies to be open on Sunday's and friendly.

Hank

Hank,

It's about the Siftracar rental again, but please email me at cirpi at aol dot com about another idea I have.

Thanks, Brad

We were there on a Sunday two weeks ago, and given Sunday bus/train schedules, we ended up hiring a taxi directly from the pier to take us to both Pisa and Lucca, for about 5 hours total. It was a last minute decision as were were originally planning to take the train to Florence, but with two young kids who were started to tire on day 10 of a 12 night cruise we decided to take it easy that day. The cost was 240 Euro, for a new, clean, air-conditioned taxi (with free wifi!). We spent about an hour in Pisa, and about 2.5 hours in Lucca. The driver waited for us at each stop and was paid at the end when we returned to the Port. It turned out to be a reasonably good value compared to the cost of the ship's excursion x4 people, and actually turned out to be one of the most enjoyable port days of our cruise. Lucca was lovely and we enjoyed a leisurely lunch in the village, amazing gelato in the Anfiteatro and also found the local artisans craft market (near the Napoleon square), which is held on the last Sunday of every month. Also note that unless you hire a taxi at the port, the only way to get into town is via the port-operated shuttle that costs 5 Euro per person, and then you still need to take a taxi to the train station...