Venice travel question

polymedia

I'm sailing out of Venice on the 17th and have a couple of questions.

1. My flight is from Los Angeles through Heathrow. Is the immigration check at Heathrow (because the UK is still part of the EU) or in Venice?

2. I arrive in Venice at 11:30PM. Do the trains still run? Is it better to take a cab to the hotel at that time of night?

Thanks very much.

If you are just changing planes in LHR you will go through a passport check - follow signs for connecting flights not customs & immigration - this is a much quicker check. FYI - The UK while still an EU member for the time being it is not a member of the Schengen countries for immigration & visas.

You will go through immigration & customs in Venice.

The last Alilaguna (the airport boats that cross the lagoon to Venice) Orange line, departs the airport at midnight and the Blue line at 00:15 (12:15 a.m ); see http://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/line-timetables. You would then need the Vaporetto or a private water taxi to take you from the Alilaguna stop to a stop nearest you hotel.

The last bus departing the airport to connect you with the vaporetto system is about 00:40; see

http://actv.avmspa.it/sites/default/files/attachments/pdf/UM/U-5.pdf

and then boat schedules at

http://actv.avmspa.it/en/content/water-bus-service-timetable-0.

The most expensive option is a water taxi - appx Euro 100 - that would take you from the airport to a dock nearest your hotel.

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

I don't think there are any trains to/from Marco Polo airport.

If your hotel is in Venice proper the closest a cab can get you to your hotel is the Piazele Roma from there you'll have to walk and/or take a vaporetto if they're still running. If you are staying on the mainland then a cab can deliver you to your hotel.

I'm no expert - I just remember a stay many years ago in Venice and am currently trying to plan my own pre cruise night there.

Edited by sndral

There are desks at the arrivals hall where you can arrange a water taxi and it should be at the docks by the time you walk there. However, at that time of night, you may want to consider having something prearranged. I'm not sure what time those desks close down.

Thanks to all that replied. Very helpful. I'm staying in Venice proper.

Name of the hotel? The reason being that it could be within walking distance of the bus station or one of the vaparetto stops, which would help people point you in the right direction.

You might get some help on the Trip Advisor Venice Travel Forum.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187870-i57-Venice_Veneto.html

There are many good ways to get to the area of your hotel during the day or evening but your choices are limited with you late plane arrival.

You could also email your hotel and ask them for late arrival transportation suggestions.

Good Luck....and enjoy Venice.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise