Queston about travel insurance

Daniel1313

My question is, if I have travel insurance and have travel delay coverage how does it work? From what I understand, if I have a connecting flight and my layover is less than 2 hours and I have a delay due to bad weather it would not be covered. Does anyone know anything about this???

Thank You

Depends on the policy, but generally coverage is $500 for costs incurred to catch up to the ship. It does not pay anything if you are simply delayed but arrive in time to board anyway. If you miss the ship, the $500 is for flights to your first port, hotels etc. The Princess insurance makes no mention of length of layover--it does include airline weather delays. Note that simply missing the ship does not invoke cancellation coverage just trip delay.

The insurance will reimburse you up to $500 for costs to get to the ship if you are delayed by snow and don't make the port in time. You would fly to the first port (usually, unless that is a US port) and board the ship there, so you would miss the first day or two of your cruise. They don't airlift you to the ship. You do have to pay for the airfare up front yourself and apply to the insurance company for refund (sometimes, if you used Princess air to arrange your flights, they will pay for this upfront-but not always). There are port agents at each stop, including the originating port, who you would call for assistance if this should happen. Their numbers are available from Princess. Experienced and frequent cruisers often plan to fly to the departure port a day early, just to prevent this type of scenario, especially in winter or when the first non-US port is three or four days into the cruise.

We are luckily flying in the day before. I was just concerned about what may happen if we were still not able to make the ship. We are flying into Philly and then to Ft, Laurderdale. Every time I have flown through Philly there has been trouble. Add winter into the equation and it could be a nightmare. I did not understand what the insurance company meant when they said that you had to have a 2 hour layover to have it covered. I realized that I would not get anything if we simply missed our flight and still made the ship. I was just concerned if I would be covered if I did not have a 2 hour layover and still missed the ship due to bad weather. I just want to get on the ship somehow!!!

Can't say for certain what your insurance means by a 2 hour layover without seeing the policy text. Princess insurance does not have that clause, and the one I use has a "5 hour delay" minimum (so I make sure my flights are the day before or are scheduled to arrive at least 6 hours before departure). Flying the day before you should be fine. You may not arrive on schedule, but you will almost certainly arrive soon enough.

Archived