Fashion and Movies

crucero-amante

I just recently rewatched Pretty Woman, and I loved he sophisticasted clothes Julia wore in the movie, not the hooker clothes but the "make-over cothes". A little dated, but still beautiful.

I loved the clothes in Titanic, and a year or so after the movie came out noticed formals influenced by the stylesl in that movie.

Being some what of a Southern Belle Wanna Be, I have always loved the styles of Gone With The Wind. I always wanted a burgandy velvet and feather dress that looks like the one Rhett makes Scarlett wear to Ashley's birthday.

I just watched "Blue Hawaii" today, and the fashion I liked best was the sun dress that the female lead wore to her travel agent office, then tore off the skirt and dove into the water as a swim suit to give Elvis a message. Straight from the office to the beach, you can't be more practical than thatl.

I love old, classic films. The clothes always is so beautiful, compared to what you see today. I especially love old nightclub or dinner/dance club scenes, the formal clothing was always so formal :) . The hairstyles were always perfect, all those fingerwaves!

It was fantasy. Of course, today we see some period pieces that have beautiful clothing, but the modern day scenario has clothing that is more attainable for the masses. I love fantasy in movies.

I have to agree Happy, that was fantasy, while I love some of the clothes are are more attainable, the dinner dances in those old movies were so formal. I think some of it really did exist. Like the Stork Club in NYC, before my time, but from people who talked about it who went, they really did dress like that and also the 21 Club, some people really wore clothes like that to go out for dinner. I remember some people telling me they went and it was very similar to the "movie" in the way people dressed and stuff.

I also remember watching Guy Lombardo at the Warldorf, now that was real life, for new years eve, when I was a kid in the city. I was way to young maybe 8 or 9 years old to go, and I always dreamed of going and dressing up like that when I got older, of course by the time I got grown up enough to go, it wasn't like that anymore and the fashions and times changed.

Now, I'm happier when I don't have to do the formal stuff, lol, now my idea of a nice new years eve is what one lady called "evening casual", love that expression.

I know I'm dating myself but what the heck . . . the sixties and seventies were my "era" and I loved the clothes . . . they matched. You didn't have to be a fashion expert to look "put together" (and I guess I'm talking more about casual attire vs formal wear). When you bought an outfit then . . . you didn't have to mix and match and hope for the best. Loved the dresses with coats to match (ala Jackie Kennedy) . . . cute little sun dresses with matching jackets . . . slacks with matching tops and jackets that came as a set. I guess as I've gotten older, it's gotten harder to buy clothes. For work, I wear nothing but suits and that's no problem. Formal attire . . . no problem. But for less than formal outfits to wear to the the theater, dinner or just to lunch with friends . . . I go to the stores and feel lost in things that are either too casual or you really have to be a fashion expert to put together that special outfit . . . :confused:

doris day always looked great, especially in pillow talk where she is the designer and wore the matching dress and coats for day wear and always had a fur for night.

i also liked eliza doolittles clothes in my fair lady. pretty victorian looks.

liz taylor in butterfield 8 as a fashion model who models clothes at nightclubs for pay.

sorry to say that i can't think of any movie that is more recent. just love those movies of the fifties and early sixties.

I know I'm dating myself but what the heck . . . the sixties and seventies were my "era" and I loved the clothes . . . they matched. You didn't have to be a fashion expert to look "put together" (and I guess I'm talking more about casual attire vs formal wear). When you bought an outfit then . . . you didn't have to mix and match and hope for the best. Loved the dresses with coats to match (ala Jackie Kennedy) . . . cute little sun dresses with matching jackets . . . slacks with matching tops and jackets that came as a set. I guess as I've gotten older, it's gotten harder to buy clothes. For work, I wear nothing but suits and that's no problem. Formal attire . . . no problem. But for less than formal outfits to wear to the the theater, dinner or just to lunch with friends . . . I go to the stores and feel lost in things that are either too casual or you really have to be a fashion expert to put together that special outfit . . . :confused:

It's so funny how we remember things differently.:)

When I think of the 70's I think of anything BUT matching clothes! My image of the 70's is tie dyed tee shirts, long peasant skirts, cowboy boots, Frye boots, sandals, jeans, Pucci printed blouses, jean jackets.

Very much like today's clothes! (only we didn't worry about bra straps showing since I don't think there were any bra's then!) :D

Jane

It's so funny how we remember things differently.:)

When I think of the 70's I think of anything BUT matching clothes! My image of the 70's is tie dyed tee shirts, long peasant skirts, cowboy boots, Frye boots, sandals, jeans, Pucci printed blouses, jean jackets.

Very much like today's clothes! (only we didn't worry about bra straps showing since I don't think there were any bra's then!) :D

Jane

Tee Hee . . . you're right . . . I was for many years . . . the "wanna be" hippie. I didn't burn my bra . . . ha . . . I didn't need to . . . my bra was a 32 AAA . . . :(

I was a flight attendant from 1967 to 1987 and I remember those uniforms I wore in the late 60s and early 70s . . . so short that when you bent over to get something out of a lower bin . . . you left nothing to the imagination! And Heaven forbid I would ever be seen in my uniform without my hat (United Airlines was very stuffy about being in complete uniform when in public view).

I also remember wearing the things you noted (and I loved the look" . . . of course in 1967 to about 1973 [the year I got married], I was twenty to twenty-six). I guess after I got married and was in my "late" twenties . . . I sort of put my "hippy" look aside and tried to dress like the cosmopolitan "lady" I though I was supposed to be . . . married to a magazine editor living in Washington, D.C.

After I was married, aside from actually having money to buy designer clothes . . . I had so much fun shopping for clothes in D.C. . . . and I loved the "That Girl" style. So cute . . . while I hate to admit it . . . I even bought a couple hats that matched my outfits. Not old lady hats . . . really cute hats. Oh my goodness . . . I even had several hat boxes to keep them in. :eek:

Since I quit flying over eighteen years ago (and after two divorces) . . . I can't tell you the last time I ever read a fashion magazine. My life consisted of college, law school and a very intensive bar exam (getting my law degree at age 52). Now . . . as a six year criminal defense attorney . . . my fashion sense consists of navy blue, black and dark grey suits (my new uniforms). And . . . some wonderful formal outfits I've purchased for cruises. Anything in between . . . I'm lost.

I've got lots of capris and tops (which I hate . . . when will capris go out of style?) that I take on cruises and wear in the summer. I just wish I could find some really cute outfits that I don't have to mix and match. I really miss the days when I had a "personal shopper" at Saks (in my other life . . . when I was married). I used to just be able to call and say . . . "I'm going on a cruise . . . I'll be there at noon on Saturday". I'd come in and . . . presto . . . a new cruise wardrobe. Now . . . can't afford that. I'm on my own and totally lost. Besides . . . I just don't like what is out there today . . . no matter what the price.

Sorry . . . didn't mean to write a novel . . . :)

Since I quit flying over eighteen years ago (and after two divorces) . . . I can't tell you the last time I ever read a fashion magazine. My life consisted of college, law school and a very intensive bar exam (getting my law degree at age 52). Now . . . as a six year criminal defense attorney . . . my fashion sense consists of navy blue, black and dark grey suits (my new uniforms). And . . . some wonderful formal outfits I've purchased for cruises. Anything in between . . . I'm lost.

Well done!

I lived in DC for about 5 years....too bad I didn't live closer now. DC was one place I enjoyed shopping...we could get you your "in-between" wardrobe taken care of in no time.

~e

Ladycaveat, congrats to you and your accomplishments, wow, I'm really impressed.

I remember the outfits of the 70's as Jane does, lol. Didn't like those tie-dyed things. I had one pants suit that was sort of tie dyed, 3 piecs was considered the "height of the fashion", but I really didn't like that stuff. I hated the platform shoes, I thought they were so ugly. I don't remember the Jackie O style dresses, probably because of my age I was dressing in the younger group.

LadyCaveat, you probably could still call a store like Saks, and tell them your budget and have a personal shopper help you. Not all of Saks clothes are really expensive. Another thought would be to have the personal shopper put stuff together for you, you try it on, see what you like and if you can't afford that, you have ideas to go look for similar items for less money. It would at least give you ideas and it could be a very fun day also.

Have a wonderful and happy and healthy cruise/vacation.

Well done!

I lived in DC for about 5 years....too bad I didn't live closer now. DC was one place I enjoyed shopping...we could get you your "in-between" wardrobe taken care of in no time.

~e

Ohhhhh . . . how I wish you were still here . . . I need all the help I can get! :p

Ladycaveat, congrats to you and your accomplishments, wow, I'm really impressed.

I remember the outfits of the 70's as Jane does, lol. Didn't like those tie-dyed things. I had one pants suit that was sort of tie dyed, 3 piecs was considered the "height of the fashion", but I really didn't like that stuff. I hated the platform shoes, I thought they were so ugly. I don't remember the Jackie O style dresses, probably because of my age I was dressing in the younger group.

LadyCaveat, you probably could still call a store like Saks, and tell them your budget and have a personal shopper help you. Not all of Saks clothes are really expensive. Another thought would be to have the personal shopper put stuff together for you, you try it on, see what you like and if you can't afford that, you have ideas to go look for similar items for less money. It would at least give you ideas and it could be a very fun day also.

Have a wonderful and happy and healthy cruise/vacation.

Thanks for the suggestion Mrs. Moose . . . think I'll try it! Could never afford the clothes I once wore . . . and since I'm now a size 16 (as opposed to a size 6) . . . probably wouldn't want to anyway. Tee Hee!

Sandra Bullok in the movie where she is the lawyer or some PA or something like that, she had some very nice outfits on.

I love that look, "the aviator look" a bomber leather jacket (brown preferably), long white silk scarf, pants, flats, sunglasses, the Amelia Ehrhart look.

I think there was a movie on TV some remake of Scarlett O'Hara a while back, or something like that, can't remember, there were some beautiful outfits in that, especially the wool pieces.

Archived