MSC from Southampton Questions

dst87

I know very few people will be able to answer this question... but here goes! I have two questions about my forthcoming cruise.

MSC Prepaid Parking in Southampton

My booking included a promotional 'free parking' at the port of Southampton.

In my ticket pack, this is mentioned but with very very little information. The dock is the same one used by Celebrity, so I've parked there several times before and always had an A4 parking permit that goes in the windscreen of the car. No such permit is included in my ticket pack.

I've been told by someone who seems pretty unsure that I just show my booking confirmation to the person at the gate who will wave me through and perhaps give me something to put in the windscreen. Knowing that dock gate, I just don't believe that they're set up like that.

Has anyone had this experience before, or have any idea how this is supposed to work in practice?

Luggage for Yacht Club

Normally at the car park, there are people who take your luggage straight from the car (with Celebrity). My understanding is that, in Yacht Club, there is a special Yacht Club tent where the luggage will be taken at that point? Again, does anyone have any experience of how that works, and should I just ignore the people in the car park (assuming they're there as they are with Celebrity)?

What about tipping? On here I've read that tipping is expected of the porters at the YC tent, but I've never had that on Celebrity because they just take the cases from the car and then you never see them again. No tipping seems to be expected, and they honestly seem too busy to even care. It's pretty annoying if true, as you don't exactly have the option of taking your own cases on board.

Any advice from those who've sailed with MSC from Southampton would be greatly appreciated! :)

Its a few years ago since our sailing but we drove up to the area where you drop off cases etc, left them there and we were told to drive to the car park at gate x, we parked the car and got on a mini bus back to the ship.

We then went into the building where you check in and were given a numbered card for our turn.

The YC will be different, as far as I know all cases have to go on via the port staff so they can be scanned, carry on bags etc you take with you, no one expected to be tipped for doing their job.

Hope this might help.

Thank you for the comment sidari.

Did you have 'free' or 'pre-paid' parking included in your fare, and did you have to do anything special to get a parking pass?

Also which cruise terminal did you sail from? Was it the City Cruise Terminal?

Many thanks!

We had Free parking included, think it may have been city terminal or the one behind it Mayflower, certainly not the one that Cunard use Ocean terminal.

I've got an answer now, from ABParking who operate the parking at the terminal.

Sure enough my TA was correct that I just show up with that little reference number and everything is fine... Apparently MSC manage the parking for their ships using ABP parking infrastructure or something.

Either way, it's one less thing to worry about!

Just off MSC Splendida today having completed the 7 day sailing from Southampton. We went steerage so cannot comment on the yacht club experience.

Like you, I too had the same concern about parking as the paperwork didn't match any of my previous ABP/CPS parking bookings. We entered the port via dock gate 10 (ten) as dock gate 8 was closed for the Southampton boat show which is this week. As we approached the terminal we spoke to a guide and he directed us to valet parking right outside the terminal. We unloaded the luggage which was taken immediately by the porters. The car was checked in by a supervisor who had a computerised print out of my details, the mileage was noted, keys handed over and I was given a piece of paper (a receipt) and was told that the keys would be in the "arrivals lounge" after Customs in the Terminal when we returned. We then walked the 100 yards to the terminal entrance and check-in. When we returned today, I collected the keys from the back of the Arrivals Lounge and was informed that the car was in the short term car park which was 100 yds across the crossing to the orange gates. In the short term car park there were personnel to tell you where your vehicle was. The parking experience was exactly as I had experienced previously, it's just a little bit frustrating that no one could explain it to me.

Whenever we embarked in the various ports the Yacht Club folks were always given priority over the Hoi Polloi. Never an issue for me, after all you are paying 3 times the price that I did.

We saw the special luggage tent in some of the ports but did not notice one in Southampton.

Enjoy your cruise, we did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off MSC Splendida today having completed the 7 day sailing from Southampton. We went steerage so cannot comment on the yacht club experience.

Like you, I too had the same concern about parking as the paperwork didn't match any of my previous ABP/CPS parking bookings. We entered the port via dock gate 10 (ten) as dock gate 8 was closed for the Southampton boat show which is this week. As we approached the terminal we spoke to a guide and he directed us to valet parking right outside the terminal. We unloaded the luggage which was taken immediately by the porters. The car was checked in by a supervisor who had a computerised print out of my details, the mileage was noted, keys handed over and I was given a piece of paper (a receipt) and was told that the keys would be in the "arrivals lounge" after Customs in the Terminal when we returned. We then walked the 100 yards to the terminal entrance and check-in. When we returned today, I collected the keys from the back of the Arrivals Lounge and was informed that the car was in the short term car park which was 100 yds across the crossing to the orange gates. In the short term car park there were personnel to tell you where your vehicle was. The parking experience was exactly as I had experienced previously, it's just a little bit frustrating that no one could explain it to me.

Whenever we embarked in the various ports the Yacht Club folks were always given priority over the Hoi Polloi. Never an issue for me, after all you are paying 3 times the price that I did.

We saw the special luggage tent in some of the ports but did not notice one in Southampton.

Enjoy your cruise, we did.

That is exceptionally informative and helpful. Thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise! Sadly the boat show will still be on when we board. We've dealt with that before, and Southampton is a nightmare. I've used gate 8 on that occasion too.

I'm not a fan of valet parking, but if that's what they offer then so be it! Cunard parking is the same.

I can't wait - so excited! :)

Hi Duncan,

like Jorrie just off Splendida today. We also had pre paid parking from MSC and went to dock gate 10 where the guy at the gate directed us to the first parking lot on the right hand side. My sister showed the printed slip from MSC and we were checked off on a computer link. Bags were then put into a van and we were directed to follow the red line over to the terminal. No car keys taken or mileage checked, so not sure why Jorrie's experience was different to ours. All very easy. Hope you enjoy your cruise--we had a fantastic time.

Hi Duncan,

like Jorrie just off Splendida today. We also had pre paid parking from MSC and went to dock gate 10 where the guy at the gate directed us to the first parking lot on the right hand side. My sister showed the printed slip from MSC and we were checked off on a computer link. Bags were then put into a van and we were directed to follow the red line over to the terminal. No car keys taken or mileage checked, so not sure why Jorrie's experience was different to ours. All very easy. Hope you enjoy your cruise--we had a fantastic time.

Thank you for the response. Again, very helpful.

I'll combat the parking situation when I see it. As long as I know that I won't have any arguments about the booking I'm happy. Hopefully, I'll be able to find the Yacht Club folks before my cases are swiftly carried off by the very eager and efficient porters at the dock!

Even if they do end up taking my case, I imagine it'll find its way to the room eventually, even if not with the same speed and efficiency as Yacht Club guests might normally experience. No big deal!

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. There was a spate of blogs from Splendida on another forum recently which have certainly whetted my appetite and made me really look forward to the experience!

Edited by dst87

If you wouldn't mind adding your parking experience to your blog, i'd be very greatful to you :D

You can be sure of it. I'll also be attempting to do a daily vlog but this won't be uploaded until after I get back.