Anything Québec (Quebec) City....

Jolie_Cruiser

On 2/23/2019 at 4:17 PM, martincath said:

Agree with the above; if you found the tour on Viator try simply Copying a sentence of the tour description then Pasting into a Google search - Viator are usually so lazy that they do not even change the tour provider's spiel, only alter reference numbers to one on their own system!

I was disappointed in Viator in Bruge, Belgium in 2019. Booked transport only from dock & buses were a farther walk at dock & not in main bus parking in Bruges. I know Viator books local vendors, but think they may look for low-ball deals. Wish I'd booked directly with local vendor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 5:37 PM, 3dogmom said:

Just found out that the Grand Prix Cycling will be taking place on the day we disembark from NCL Gem in September. From the map, it looks to me that the race is right in the heart of the city. Has anyone by chance had any experience with this race? I'm just wondering if this will cause issues attempting to get to our hotel. I think I'll book a tour to Montmorency Falls and Island of Orléans for the day. Hopefully it's a very early race start!

We were out walking and encountered this race several years ago.  Neither of us has the slightest interest in bicycle racing, but it was absolutely fascinating to watch those guys racing.  I recommend crossing paths with the race at some point. 

On 4/12/2018 at 3:54 AM, katfer said:

Hey Lenny....tell us what to do at Chateau Frontenac!! Any other suggestions for Quebec will be appreciated!

For travellers reading this currently ... I never miss a chance to wander around an old stately hotel.  There is nothing "to do" there.  You just go exploring.  It is such a treat to envision the place in the olden days with the people all dressed to the nines, little dogs following the ladies carried by the maid, the lovely public manners.  Chateau Frontenac is an absolute gem and I can't wait to stroll around again in September maybe even have a glass of champagne to toast the old girl.

Edited by jsn55
clarity

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2022 at 8:28 PM, doctoranna said:

Quick question:  Do taxis at YQB accept credit cards?

Slow answer (sorry, I rarely remember to check the East Coast board since I live the other side, but it seems like none of the regular local posters have returned since TheBeforeTimes...):

Yes, they all should (at least Visa & MC - Amex is significantly less popular in Canada and Discover has very little acceptance outside fancy hotels & restos, a holdover from the Diners days).

Good news - it's also a fixed rate into town. Details here (check your hotel location on a map if doing precruise time, and if going straight to the port that is within the zone).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving a note here about transportation to Pier 31 in Quebec City.  The main piers (21 and 22) are right in the old city area.  Pier 22 was about a block and a half from our hotel (Hotel Le Port Royal), and we could see it if we looked up the street from the hotel, which is why I booked that hotel.  Unfortunately, even though the Port Calendar showed our ship at Pier 22 on departure day, it was changed to Pier 31 sometime before we sailed.  I found information online that there was a shuttle from the terminal at 21 and 22 to the Pier 31 terminal, and the address of Pier 21-22 terminal was on our boarding pass, so we had planned to just walk there and take a shuttle.  At the hotel desk on embarkation day, there were passengers asking for directions to walk to Pier 31, so we asked the woman at the desk if there was a shuttle, and she said there was not, so we took off walking (she told us it was a 15-minute walk).  After walking for almost 15 minutes, we were still only halfway there, but as we walked towards a pedestrian path, a woman in a yellow traffic control vest ran after us, shouting that we should come back.  She seemed very insistent, so DH went back to see what she wanted, and it turns out that she had spotted the free port shuttle (that actually does exist) approaching her intersection. She flagged it down, and we all got on, (which made our friend with the two knee replacements very happy),  It would have been way more than a 15 minute walk.  Now the receptionist at the Port Royal may have just meant that there was no shuttle to Pier 31 from her hotel, but there is definitely a free shuttle from the Pier 21-22 terminal to Pier 31.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctoranna said:

Leaving a note here about transportation to Pier 31 in Quebec City.  The main piers (21 and 22) are right in the old city area.  Pier 22 was about a block and a half from our hotel (Hotel Le Port Royal), and we could see it if we looked up the street from the hotel, which is why I booked that hotel.  Unfortunately, even though the Port Calendar showed our ship at Pier 22 on departure day, it was changed to Pier 31 sometime before we sailed.  I found information online that there was a shuttle from the terminal at 21 and 22 to the Pier 31 terminal, and the address of Pier 21-22 terminal was on our boarding pass, so we had planned to just walk there and take a shuttle.  At the hotel desk on embarkation day, there were passengers asking for directions to walk to Pier 31, so we asked the woman at the desk if there was a shuttle, and she said there was not, so we took off walking (she told us it was a 15-minute walk).  After walking for almost 15 minutes, we were still only halfway there, but as we walked towards a pedestrian path, a woman in a yellow traffic control vest ran after us, shouting that we should come back.  She seemed very insistent, so DH went back to see what she wanted, and it turns out that she had spotted the free port shuttle (that actually does exist) approaching her intersection. She flagged it down, and we all got on, (which made our friend with the two knee replacements very happy),  It would have been way more than a 15 minute walk.  Now the receptionist at the Port Royal may have just meant that there was no shuttle to Pier 31 from her hotel, but there is definitely a free shuttle from the Pier 21-22 terminal to Pier 31.

I never trust anything the hotel front desk says, unless I'm talking to a manager ... or the porter, or the shuttle driver.   It's astonishing how those people at the front desk will just say anything to get you to go away.  One of the best was at the Munich Airport, we asked the front desk where the covered walkway was over to the terminal.  The agent had no idea, hadn't heard of it, and didn't offer to find out.  It was right across the lobby, she literally could see it.  They can screw up even the most simple answer.  I feel the same way about phone agents ... just too many observations and experiences over the years.

4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I never trust anything the hotel front desk says, unless I'm talking to a manager ... or the porter, or the shuttle driver.   It's astonishing how those people at the front desk will just say anything to get you to go away.  One of the best was at the Munich Airport, we asked the front desk where the covered walkway was over to the terminal.  The agent had no idea, hadn't heard of it, and didn't offer to find out.  It was right across the lobby, she literally could see it.  They can screw up even the most simple answer.  I feel the same way about phone agents ... just too many observations and experiences over the years.

Could be, though she was being very helpful, drawing the route on maps for everyone.  Apparently Pier 31 is fairly new, but yeah, you would think the staff at a hotel that does a lot of cruise passenger business would know something like this. She was young, so she might have been hired recently.  I'm just glad the traffic lady went out of her way to make sure we got on that bus.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:28 PM, doctoranna said:

Quick question:  Do taxis at YQB accept credit cards?

They should, but ask before you get into the taxi. When we arrived at the port in Quebec City from our cruise, a port employee stated all taxis take credit cards. We got into a taxi to be driven to a hotel in the city, and it the Port employee had said local hotels should be about $22 Canadian dollars. After we started driving, I asked the driver the approximate cost to our hotel and she said $25. Then I mentioned a credit card, and she claimed she didn't take credit cards. Then I asked what was the cost in US dollars and she claimed it was $25 in US dollars, and when I questioned that is what she said it was in Canadian dollars, then she started claiming she didn't speak English well and that was the price in US dollars. Just watch being ripped off. We were stuck and the woman got a nice exchange rate.

On 9/19/2022 at 5:36 PM, genealogyfan said:

They should, but ask before you get into the taxi. When we arrived at the port in Quebec City from our cruise, a port employee stated all taxis take credit cards. We got into a taxi to be driven to a hotel in the city, and it the Port employee had said local hotels should be about $22 Canadian dollars. After we started driving, I asked the driver the approximate cost to our hotel and she said $25. Then I mentioned a credit card, and she claimed she didn't take credit cards. Then I asked what was the cost in US dollars and she claimed it was $25 in US dollars, and when I questioned that is what she said it was in Canadian dollars, then she started claiming she didn't speak English well and that was the price in US dollars. Just watch being ripped off. We were stuck and the woman got a nice exchange rate.

Three dollars? Even at  25% differential, that's hardly the end of the world.  Any special fees for the taxi to pick up at the port?  Baggage charges?  How long did the taxi wait in line?  Was your hotel 'local'?  Relying on 'a port employee' for this kind of information means you need to be flexible.  If precise costs are important, establish the facts before getting into the taxi.

On 9/21/2022 at 7:07 PM, jsn55 said:

Three dollars? Even at  25% differential, that's hardly the end of the world.  Any special fees for the taxi to pick up at the port?  Baggage charges?  How long did the taxi wait in line?  Was your hotel 'local'?  Relying on 'a port employee' for this kind of information means you need to be flexible.  If precise costs are important, establish the facts before getting into the taxi.

Just an FYI - $22 Canadian dollars equals about $16 US dollars so it WASN"T just a $3 difference.  $25 US dollars equals about $33 Canadian dollars. So it's more than $3.  Hotel was in the city, not far. The taxi driver ripped us off. I'm a person that generously tips taxi drivers too.

Maybe before you criticize, maybe you should get the facts.  I posted this to warn others to ask the taxi driver if they accept credit cards and get the approximate price before getting in. We did that before we left the hotel for the airport. We asked the bellhop and then asked the driver if he accepted credit cards. We were generous with a tip, since he didn't rip us off.

Edited by genealogyfan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

Just an FYI - $22 Canadian dollars equals about $16 US dollars so it WASN"T just a $3 difference.  $25 US dollars equals about $33 Canadian dollars. So it's more than $3.  Hotel was in the city, not far. The taxi driver ripped us off. I'm a person that generously tips taxi drivers too.

Maybe before you criticize, maybe you should get the facts.  I posted this to warn others to ask the taxi driver if they accept credit cards and get the approximate price before getting in. We did that before we left the hotel for the airport. We asked the bellhop and then asked the driver if he accepted credit cards. We were generous with a tip, since he didn't rip us off.

You are right, I apologize.  I have been a wreck over the virus testing thing ... and just now I heard a rumor that NCL Pearl might not sail tomorrow out of Quebec.  Not a reason to be snarky, tho. 

10 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

You are right, I apologize.  I have been a wreck over the virus testing thing ... and just now I heard a rumor that NCL Pearl might not sail tomorrow out of Quebec.  Not a reason to be snarky, tho. 

No worries. If you are on that cruise, I hope it sails. It probably will, and hopefully the storm won't affect your cruise too much. It looks like by Sunday morning it'll be out of your path. Hopefully it doesn't disrupt your cruise too much. https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/09/21/atlantic-gulf-fiona-hurricane-canada/

• Like 1