LGA to Brooklyn

Sheltieluv

Hi all. We are flying in to LGA the day before our cruise on the Queen Mary 2, which departs from Brooklyn, and will be staying at the Hampton Inn in Brooklyn.

Should we use Uber, a taxi, or a car service from LGA to the Hampton Inn? I have never used Uber and don't even know how to go about arranging it. I've heard that a taxi ride can be a hair-raising experience. :eek: There has been a lot of good information here on CC about using car services, although they will be a bit more expensive. Also, what about the day of the cruise? I'm not sure how far the Hampton Inn is from the Red Hook pier, so I guess my same questions apply for that part of the trip as well.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks so much!

I think I can answer my own question---I went back a couple of pages and read some good info; basically the same thing I was trying to figure out.:p It looks like a car service is the best option, unless someone can tell me if Uber would be a better choice. If anyone has any opinions on that, I'd still like to hear from you. Thanks!

Good, I assumed you read the LGA 411 thread here - which has a sub-section noting the Brookyn Queens Expwy (BQE) highway construction project-related traffic delays, 24/7/365 - taxi's metered fares will be relatively costly & unpredictable at best.

Uber is fine for some but not for someone totally unfamiliar with it and how it works, etc. - simple & easy for those who subscribe to fees for services as in ride "sharing" - again, given the LGA traffic & alternate pickup / shuttle bus issues at the remote parking lot about 1 mile from the central/main terminal ("B") - not a wise or smart choice in the near future, until further notice.

For simplicity & peace of mind, we highly recommend consider using Dial7 or Carmel - for a confirmed & quoted flat rate, and, it is toll-less.

From downtown Brooklyn, Hampton Inn on Flatbush Avenue is a relatively short ride via local streets, depending on best route taken by the car service driver famiilar with that area - should be inexpensive, $20 or less including a 15% to 20% tip. Yelllow taxi cruising by are likely going/returning to Manhattan across the bridge and not interested in going to Red Hook's pier, green taxi hailed will charged the ride based on metered fare - many, like the ones in our area, are the same neighborhood car service dispatched by radio but when booked in advance, charge a confirmed, quoted flat rate.

I recommend not using Uber at LGA. The Uber drivers have to wait outside the terminal area and then meet you at the curb. With how bad the traffic is during construction you could be waiting 20 minutes for your uber and then it can be hard to find the correct car.

Other users recommend a car service. It works if you have a chauffeur pick you up inside baggage claim. Otherwise I suggest just waiting in the taxi line. Be warned in the evenings the taxi lines can also extend over 20 minutes. New York taxi drivers can be scary drivers. On Sunday I was almost in a head on collision in a taxi in NYC.

In short unless you pay someone to stand and wait for you with a sign, don't expect to get out of LGA quickly.

On your way back to the airport I recommend Uber. I think Uber is best for a pickup taking you to the airport. You don't have to plan ahead like you do with car service and rarely do you wait more than 5-10 minutes for an Uber in NYC.

Edited by Roseflyer