Canada Day (July 1st)--FYI

Italy52

I am really struggling to find time to post my B2B trip report on the Radiance. I did, however, want to take a minute to post something about Canada Day just in case it might affect your future cruise plans.

We disembarked the Radiance of the Seas on July 1, 2016 (Canada Day.) Fortunately for us, our hotel was the Pan Pacific and we were able to take advantage of the underground passage way for our room check in. Once checked in, we ventured out the doors of the Pan Pacific into a sea of wall-to-wall people, a music venue and numerous food trucks. You could see the Canadians love their holiday. We saw many faces painted with the Canadian flag and we were offered a small Canadian flag on numerous occasions. We also found a lot of the food places were very busy so you might have to venture a little bit away from the Pan Pacific area to find some food. We were told at the hotel desk that there would be a fireworks display later on in the evening but we missed it due to retiring early in preparation of a VERY early airport arrival time.

We did notice cruisers trying to make their way down the crowded streets with their luggage --- we could see them struggling and the frustration in their eyes. The point of this post to inform so cruisers are not caught off guard. And, hopefully, some of the local Canadians on this board can offer up some tips on how to maneuver the streets should you find yourselves in need.

***This information might not apply for future cruises as the celebration location might change --- but if it doesn't, it's food for thought.***

I agree the road closures on Canada Day and fireworks nights can be a challenge getting around the cruise terminal.

For those in town.... it's one of the few times where you get to see the Olympic Caldron lit up for pictures!

I agree the road closures on Canada Day and fireworks nights can be a challenge getting around the cruise terminal.

For those in town.... it's one of the few times where you get to see the Olympic Caldron lit up for pictures!

Last year, we disembarked on Canada Day. For 2017, we will be embarking on Canada Day. We will be staying at the Marriott Pinnacle this time --- I assume the cab drivers will know the quickest way to get from hotel to the cruise terminal? We plan to arrive at the terminal around 10 AM.

Good luck on getting a taxi to the Marriott - because of road closures you will be going close to double the distance to get into the terminal and the meter will be running - there will be a sea of people - and because next year is Canada's 150th birthday I have been told that the Canada Day festivities will be held over three days.

It is a short level walk from the Pinnacle to Canada Place - that would be my recommendation on that day.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis

If you can't handle your bags on foot, you'll have no option but to take a cab - I would expect on a normal Canada Day that the roundabout route plus traffic will triple the fare up to around the $20 mark, and there will be fewer cabs than normal around that area.

I'd seriously consider changing hotels - the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront will be the only hotels without issues for you on that day, but even a hotel east of CP instead of west will make life a little easier. Delta Suites is now a Marriott property and would be easier to get a cab from, and would also have an unblocked route to the pier so just extra traffic to worry about not closures.

While it would be impossible for the city to block access entirely to Canada Place by road since they're allowing cruises to arrive/depart on the day, even if closures are the same as they normally are there will be even more folks than normal for the big 150 unless there is truly awful weather.

Fortunately since you're embarking, you will be gone before the serious crowds arrive for the fireworks - but a lot of folks do come downtown for the daytime events which start at 10am, especially if they have younger kids who can't stay up until 10:30pm for fireworks.

If you can't handle your bags on foot, you'll have no option but to take a cab - I would expect on a normal Canada Day that the roundabout route plus traffic will triple the fare up to around the $20 mark, and there will be fewer cabs than normal around that area.

I'd seriously consider changing hotels - the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront will be the only hotels without issues for you on that day, but even a hotel east of CP instead of west will make life a little easier. Delta Suites is now a Marriott property and would be easier to get a cab from, and would also have an unblocked route to the pier so just extra traffic to worry about not closures.

Since we are using Marriott points for our 2-day precruise, a $20 cab ride is a much better option than paying out $700 + for two nights at the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont. The Delta Suites might be an option --- will run it by DH --- thanks for the suggestion.

While it would be impossible for the city to block access entirely to Canada Place by road since they're allowing cruises to arrive/depart on the day, even if closures are the same as they normally are there will be even more folks than normal for the big 150 unless there is truly awful weather.

Fortunately since you're embarking, you will be gone before the serious crowds arrive for the fireworks - but a lot of folks do come downtown for the daytime events which start at 10am, especially if they have younger kids who can't stay up until 10:30pm for fireworks.

We found that out this past July 1st. Almost felt like the wall-to-wall holiday crowds that happen at Disneyland.

Thanks again.

Edited by Italy52

Supposed to fly into Vancouver on July 1st--- cruise out on 3rd..... have reservations at Hotel Blu on 177 Robson Street.. was planning on taking the hotel shuttle to the cruise terminal

Wanted to spend Sunday touring the city.. via hop on/hop off buses. Sounds like that won't be an option... due to the road closures:confused:

Would it be better to fly into Seattle and take the bus or train on the 3rd? How reliable and timely do they run?

Edited by ljclay0130

Supposed to fly into Vancouver on July 1st--- cruise out on 3rd..... have reservations at Hotel Blu on 177 Robson Street.. was planning on taking the hotel shuttle to the cruise terminal

Wanted to spend Sunday touring the city.. via hop on/hop off buses. Sounds like that won't be an option... due to the road closures:confused:

You will have minor issues arriving on July 1st. The road closures is North and West of your hotel and your route coming from the airport.

Even if there is closures on Sunday.... the Hop On service will be operating south of the closures.

I will say touring Vancouver pre-cruise may be a challenge as the attractions will be very popular.

Edited by xlxo

As xlxo said, minimal impact - in fact the very quiet airport and lack of commuter traffic will probably more than offset any extra delays around Cambie Bridge or Main St (July 1 is a very slow travel day in Canada, it's not a 'go see your folks' holiday and legally most businesses must close so not a big shopping day either).

Sunday is July 2nd - there's no official word out about extending road closures beyond the day itself. Dennis does a LOT of volunteering with the city so may have had an accurate tipoff that celebrations will be extended, but even then I can't see us doing a second day of parades that will require roads to be closed anywhere other than immediately around a 'celebration zone' so HOHOs should have minimal rerouting, with probably just the stop at Canada Place itself needing moved, perhaps also the one at the Marriott Pinnacle.

Your worst case will be similar to OP, in that Monday 3rd will be the actual day off work for most people since July 1 is a Saturday. So even if there are also big celebrations on Monday, and Canada Place/Jack Poole Plaza remain the primary celebration zones, a cab will be a bit more expensive - from Robson & Cambie road closures will have no direct impact, and again since it's a day off that would normally be a working day the lack of commuter traffic may mean your short trip by hotel shuttle will take a bit longer but unlike OP no extra charge!

Would it be better to fly into Seattle and take the bus or train on the 3rd? How reliable and timely do they run?

Amtrak is very reliable on the morning train, but I still think it's the height of foolishness to be in the area but not move up to Vancouver at LEAST the night before - while it's ALMOST unheard of to miss a cruise if you come up on the morning Amtrak from Seattle, it has happened at least once this year when a bridge had issues.

Buses are dependent on border crossing delays and Seattle area traffic (generally horrible, and July 3 is normal working day!) - again it's very unlikely you'd miss the cruise, but you would have all the same local delays to deal with on Monday morning here in Vancouver on top of the additional problems invited by crossing an international border on the day you cruise (e.g. we had a random idiot-caused total closure of one border crossing just a few days ago as someone thought it would be fun to tell CBSA his car was full of explosives...)

In short - yes, it will be busier around town than normal on Sat, Sun and Mon than a random other summer day, but to offset any inconvenience you get to take part in an awesome street party, fireworks, a parade, bands, and all the other hoopla that accompanies a very big and special Canadian birthday.