little black dress

MrsMoose2001

I have a question and would love to hear if any of you feel the same way.

For all the little black dresses out there, I've had trouble seeing any that have "sleeves", especially in something that can "cover flaws" or not the tiny size 4 - 8.

I was looking at InSTyle and almost all of them are sleeveless I saw one that had a tiny cap sleeve. But all the nice ones that I would consider wearing, were sleeveless.

Ok, for a 40 - 60 year old, who is not thin, or who is plus size, or just for ladies who don't like sleeveless or for those who think their arms are not their best feature, I've yet to see a "little black dress" that has at least short sleeves. Is it me?

MsMoose, I always cover my arms (I just hate them) and I concur that a large percentage of dressy dresses are sleeveless. Nevertheless, the little black dress in my mind is a gem (sleeveless or not), you can do so much with it. I have an arsenal of pretty stoles and jackets that will change the look in a flash. Long live the "little black dress"!

Try Diane Von Furstenburg-great wrap little black dresses with sleeves-made of decent fabric-not rayon or polyester-very slimming. Can dress it up with diamonds or down with turquoise, etc....:) She uses mostly lightweight wool or silk jersey.

You’re right, everything I see in the stores are sleeveless. I like a sleeve, but I don’t like the cap sleeve, looks to “young” on me and doesn’t really give coverage.

I found a “little black” dress about 5yrs ago that has short sleeves, very basic dress, I loved it and wore it a lot, it’s a size 14. But now that I’ve lost weight, (gone down 2 sizes) can’t wear it anymore. I had to buy a new black dress to wear this past summer and found a great halter dress, I was concerned about my arms, but it surprised me and really looked good.

Instead of a dress, I've been looking for a tuxedo jacket, one I don't have to wear a shirt or cami under. It could be worn with a skirt or slacks. With the right cut and fit, they can be sexy and flattering to a less than perfect figure.

I bought one online earlier this year and really liked it, but it was too big. It wasn't right for alterations, as the biggest problem was the length of the jacket. The sale price was great, but it's no bargain if you can't wear it. When I took it back (instead of shipping it) the gal at the counter was very interested in it. The only other ones I've found were out of my price range, so the search will continue!

Anyway, this might, perhaps be an alternative to the sleeveless little black dress :) .

i think the draw of the sleeveless "little black dress" is that it's versatile. you can wear it without anything else, you can dress up with a jacket or wrap, dress it down with different shoes & sweater. If it had sleeves, it would be less versatile for certain temps.

Clothing retailers such as Coldwater Creek, Chico's and Talbot's who cater to women who no longer can wear the Britney Spears look or who choose not to, do offer a longer sleeve than cap, even up to 3/4 and full length sleeve. Your chances of finding a "little black dress" with a longer sleeve are greater in retailers such a those above.

I'd buy everything I own at Talbot's because they have exactly my taste, but some of their clothing is a little pricey. If I want to cruise as often as I like, I need to pay strict attention to my clothing budget.

Instead of a dress, I've been looking for a tuxedo jacket, one I don't have to wear a shirt or cami under. It could be worn with a skirt or slacks. With the right cut and fit, they can be sexy and flattering to a less than perfect figure.

I've been searching for a Tuxedo myself. I love the look and agree with not having to wear a cami or shirt under it. I found one on Yves Saint-Laurent website, but no retail stores that carry it. I really wanted to have it for New Years so I'm hoping the stores will have them soon. I've even tried Ebay (not crazy about buying clothes on there), but they only have Tuxedo Jackets. I want the pants to match, so I'd prefer to buy the whole thing. Anyone have any ideas where to find?

Mrs. Moose, I am finding that you can get nice LBD's that are sleeveless but also have a jacket to cover up. I bought one such one at Filenes. I also found a great Ralph Lauren black dress- it's not formal but done in more of a heavy jersey material with a cap sleeve. I picked it up thinking I could dress it up for dinner on a CC casual night, wear it for casual night or even throw it on as a bathing suit cover up. I work out and my arms aren't my worse feature but I do like to have something over my shoulders. I find often times, that is the area where I get cold.

Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions, I'm not in a rush or desperate. I would like one that's not really evening if you know what I mean, but not desperate or in a rush, I guess the jacket thing or sweater thing would be the solution.

Of course the tux/pants works for me, but I don't need that for now. I had the YSL tux way back so I know what you are looking for. YSL, try Saks, Bloomingdales, the NYC YSL on 57th Street.

Sometimes what is in europe doesn't make it stateside. I love YSL Le Smoking, can understand you wanting one. If I had use for it I'd buy one myself as I love the look.

bloomingdales.com has some tuxedo jackts, on their website with coordinating skirts/pants for the other ladies looking.

Happy and Healthy Shopping.

I personally saw a sweater and shearling vest today that I've got my eye on, and a cashmere knee length robe. Oh.... the possibilities....... Oh the love of shopping and fashion...... (now that I have good news I can think.). I will check out all the suggestions. I would buy one if it looked nice on me and then I woudl get riding boots to wear with.

DVF dresses are beautiful, I droll over some of them. I no longer have the body to wear them, they are too clingy and don't cover enough flaws since I refuse to wear the underpinnings that would take care of those flaws, lol.

Thanks everyone some really good things to think about and suggestions.

Shrugs/bolero's are just coming back into fashion right now (they've been in and out for the last few years, but they've made a huge comeback this season). I've seen some really nice, dressy shrugs out there that would go great with a little black dress. You can either get one in black, for a more formal look, or in a jewel tone, or gold or silver, to add more interest. You can get then in any length from really short sleeves, to full arm length. The 3/4 sleeves are really nice for extra cover-up, and are very chic.

Just doing a very quick search on Nordstrom's website, here are a few examples. Though, I'm sure you can find something even nicer, that'll suit your tastes more.

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?StyleID=2875047&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=shrug+%3E+In+All+Categories

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?StyleID=2879341&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=shrug+%3E+In+All+Categories

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2871711&boutique=dresses_n_occasion&category=2376776~2374327~2374331~6001765~6001770&Search=True&keyword=shrug+%3E+In+All+Categories&SearchType=keywordsearch

I love little black dresses in all shapes and styles.

I have several very pretty wool blend knits for winter with long sleeves and some bling bling. They are very fitted, a longer length and I wear them with boots. One is a 2 pc with fur cuffs.

M evening collection is mostly sleeveless or halter style. I have good arms - lots of weight training - so I do not have to worry about that (plenty of other body parts to worry about though). I have them in various styles and fabrics. I buy at least one a year, and always find something fabulous when in NY and shopping at Loehmans.

I like LBDs because I can throw a few in a suitcase and be ready for almost anything!

I have a question and would love to hear if any of you feel the same way.

For all the little black dresses out there, I've had trouble seeing any that have "sleeves", especially in something that can "cover flaws" or not the tiny size 4 - 8.

I was looking at InSTyle and almost all of them are sleeveless I saw one that had a tiny cap sleeve. But all the nice ones that I would consider wearing, were sleeveless.

Ok, for a 40 - 60 year old, who is not thin, or who is plus size, or just for ladies who don't like sleeveless or for those who think their arms are not their best feature, I've yet to see a "little black dress" that has at least short sleeves. Is it me?

There are plenty of shrugs and bolero jackets out in dressier materials. Just pick up one of them. My Meg is so tiny she hates her arms too. She has shrugs and boleros in every color including about 5 or 6 in black. I mentioned Meg because it is not just over weight middle aged women that hate their arms. Tiny 20 somethings do too.

Oh Caviar Girl, those winter numbers sound wonderful, I would love to find one of those kind to wear with boots. That's the ones I was talking about.

I may just consider doing a jacket, sweater thing if I find the right black dress, will look.

Momofmeg, you are so right, when I was 20something and a size 2 I always wanted to cover my arms then too. I was always more comfortable with short sleeves than sleeveless, so I know what you mean exactly.

Thank you all, ladies, for your websites and ideas. I'm checking them out. I'm not in a rush for one, but now I have more ideas so will think about it. I think they were great suggestions and gave me lot's of new possibilities. I honestly just didn't think about doing the sweather thing, I always just saw them as sleveless with a "shawl/wrap" which would not work for me.

I think what I might like, is a skirt, lightweight wool knit that you mentioned that I can wear boots, and a jacket, perferably a jacket that I don't need anything underneath that matches. Or as a lot of you suggested a dress with a sweater. Now to find the perfect dress.

Let the Hunt begin (what fun the hunt will be)!!!!

Checking out all those websites you gave me THANK YOU!!!

i got a black short sleeve silk dress/sheath in a tea length in plus size for my cruise. I agree that i would never go sleeveless. too unattractive. and it is very difficult to find a plain black dress with short sleeves so i grabbed this one. finally i own a little black dress and the silk makes it dressy.

http://www.jessicalondon.com/jessicalondon/product/product.asp?pf_id=22074&dept_id=917&parent_id=&

I've now got a picture in my mind of what I would like. One like CaviarGal has, a black suit, wool, with fox cuffs and another similar to that a slight variation. I'm checking around, if I find one I find it. I waited 6 or more years to find a certain sweater "print" that I like, finally found it this winter. This waiting is easy...... :) The chase and hunt is half the fun of finding it.

Bloomingdales.com has some nice ones like that. Not quite what I had in mind for me, but check out the bloomingdales.com site, and they ship to Canada, I've ordered from them many times, they do a good job.

Also don't know if I mentioned it, neimanmarcus.com has some nice home stuff and the November issue of InStyle has a lot of website for home things.

December issue should have even more because it's holiday time, they always have a lot of internet sites for those who like to shop on-line.

when are you leaveing for TO? I hope you enjoy your trip, have a great time and I wish you happy and healthy shopping. Someone just told me the Holts in TO is so amazing, it's so packed with wonderful stuff and so much more than what we have here so you should have a ball in TO. Not to mention Bloor STreet, All the wonderful shops there the street where Holts is located and there is a little mall not to far from there if I remember that had some really nice shops in it. I've only been the once, but I remember shopping was much better than here in Montreal.

I call the Holts there if I see something I want like Dana Buchman, and Ellen Tracy as we have about 6 peices of the Ellen Tracy here and No Dana at all in the Holts. Olgiviys has about 5 pieces of Dana if that but Holts TO has a good selection, they even have Lafayette 148 which i love also. You could probably find your replacement in TO no problem.

Have fun!!!

I found this wonderful outfit last year at Loehmans in NYC. It is two pieces. he dress is short sleeve in a fine gauge knit, very sleek, ankle length. The jacket is also the same length but is a cable knit, no buttons, with a matching fur collar. It is a Dana Buchman, tres chic and I am going to wear it in NYC when I am there over Thanksgiving weekend.

The manufacturer's tag read $690 and I paid $150 at Loehmans for both pieces.

I have a pair of black suede Carlos Santana high heel boots with red, green and gold flowers embroidered on the side. I plan to wear these with it.

Because I live in FL, I do not get to wear these outfits often. But it is a look I love and I can't help myself when I see such a great buy from one of my favorite designers.

Archived