Side Aft Cabins Nieuw Amsterdam?

bzv143

Trying to decide between a far forward Deck 6 (Upper Verandah 6008) cabin or a side aft cabin (6162 on Nieuw Amsterdam. The far forward allows me to access the forward viewing deck at the front of the ship. The aft cabins are closer to accessing the elevators to get to the Lido deck.

I noticed the side aft cabins on all decks are showing "Showers Only." Can anyone who has stayed in one of these side aft cabins elaborate? Is the cabin smaller? Why a shower only?

Thanks!

Trying to decide between a far forward Deck 6 (Upper Verandah 6008) cabin or a side aft cabin (6162 on Nieuw Amsterdam. The far forward allows me to access the forward viewing deck at the front of the ship. The aft cabins are closer to accessing the elevators to get to the Lido deck.

I noticed the side aft cabins on all decks are showing "Showers Only." Can anyone who has stayed in one of these side aft cabins elaborate? Is the cabin smaller? Why a shower only?

Thanks!

6008 will have access to the forward viewing deck only on special occasions, e.g. Glacier Bay, Alaska, but it will be open to all passengers. At all other times, the access doors are not available to passengers.

Here is a photo of 6162 taken May 2016. It is not large enough for a bathtub.

VD6162.jpg

Here is a link that will give you examples of staterooms of most of the different categories:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-cabinsstaterooms/

We are in 6125 in December. I did not know that some of the cabins only had a shower and not a bath. Would have preferred not to have a bath.

Ask your TA if s/he can get a change for you. Seems all the aft side cabins have showers only. Me, personally, I like to soak in a nice bath. :p

Thank you, Crew News, for the link to all the pictures. Can you clarify though? Are the aft side cabins with "showers only" smaller? Seems like the cabins are the same size as all the others on the decks as seen on the deck plans. Also, does anyone have a pic of the bathrooms with "showers only"? I would assume if a bathtub is removed, the bathroom would be larger?

As for the forward cabins--if the Nieuw Amsterdam is in the Caribbean, will the forward doors to the viewing deck be open? I like drinking morning coffee while watching the ship come into port, or watching the ship sail out of port. Can I do this do you think?

Edited by bzv143

I would assume if a bathtub is removed, the bathroom would be larger?

Not necessarily. Not even usually is that the case.

On those ships where the tub has been replaced by a shower only, the new shower is large, in the same place as the tub used to be.

On those ships where there has been a choice of tub or shower (excluding the Prinsendam, which was built for a different company), the placement of the tub or shower, and vanity is switched around. The cabins with a tub take a large space, and put the vanity in the smaller area. The cabins with the shower use the smaller area for that, and have a large vanity where the tub would have gone. The entire bathroom, however, is the same size.

Not necessarily. Not even usually is that the case.

On those ships where the tub has been replaced by a shower only, the new shower is large, in the same place as the tub used to be.

On those ships where there has been a choice of tub or shower (excluding the Prinsendam, which was built for a different company), the placement of the tub or shower, and vanity is switched around. The cabins with a tub take a large space, and put the vanity in the smaller area. The cabins with the shower use the smaller area for that, and have a large vanity where the tub would have gone. The entire bathroom, however, is the same size.

Thanks, Ruth C!

I would hope that the showers have glass enclosures rather than the "stick-to-the-butt" shower curtains? ;)

Thank you, Crew News, for the link to all the pictures.

As for the forward cabins--if the Nieuw Amsterdam is in the Caribbean, will the forward doors to the viewing deck be open? I like drinking morning coffee while watching the ship come into port, or watching the ship sail out of port. Can I do this do you think?

They will not be open in the Caribbean based on my numerous cruises in the Caribbean. You can watch the port activity from your own verandah while enjoying your morning coffee with any outside stateroom on Deck 6.