Deer Island/Stone Island

fmigali

Hello! We are crusing to Mazatlan in about one month. We are looking at excursions to Deer Island or Stone Island. We will be cruising with our almost 3 year old and our just 5 year old.

I have searched the threads and am not finding a whole lot of info. Are there any pros/cons on these two locations? From a pricing stand point Deer Island appear to be a few bucks more but includes drinks.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Deer island is uninhabited and somewhat distant, at least an 30+ minutes total trip time from the ship on a high speed boat). Stone Island is not an island, it is in the immediate area across the bay, lots of folks, play items, cheap prices. If ya want nature, Deer Island, if ya want lively, Stone Island

Stone island is easily done on your own. Simply walk out of the cruise area, turn left and walk about 3/4 mile to the water taxi station. Pay 30 pesos each and take a short water taxi to Stone Island. Walk over the hill and find a restaurant on the beach that appeals to you. We love Lety's. We were there earlier this month (Oct 16). Had great coconut shrimp and several Pacificos. This bill was about $20 USD. The beach is nice. Lots of kids playing.

The 30 pesos also covers the return trip.

But DO take and use some kind of bug repellent. Several fellow cruisers got bad bites on their legs here and in Manzanillo.

Cheers.

Stone island is easily done on your own. Simply walk out of the cruise area, turn left and walk about 3/4 mile to the water taxi station. Pay 30 pesos each and take a short water taxi to Stone Island. Walk over the hill and find a restaurant on the beach that appeals to you. We love Lety's. We were there earlier this month (Oct 16). Had great coconut shrimp and several Pacificos. This bill was about $20 USD. The beach is nice. Lots of kids playing.

The 30 pesos also covers the return trip.

But DO take and use some kind of bug repellent. Several fellow cruisers got bad bites on their legs here and in Manzanillo.

Cheers.

This is our favorite thing to do out of all three ports! My husband always says, "If you can't ever find me, Stone Island is where I'll be". They treat you like family!