Has anyone done a South Africa cruise on MSC?...

Love2Cruz2015

• 1 month later...

My father did one last week, he has previously done 2 carnival Facination cruises out of JAX, he thought Facination was better(I'd give it a 6/10) so you can imagine what it must have been like. Also the South African coast is rough... not as fun as Caribbean. If I still lived there I would venture on it but would not fly there for a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm intrigued, though it only goes to Durban side of SA and Portuguese island...and short cruises. I wouldn't fly there for anything less than a 7 day itinerary. I believe the Sinfonia will be there in 2018 for March.

When we did a repositioning from UK to Cape Town we were told by the MSC Club hostess (South African herself) that most of the South African cruises, especially the short duration ones, were simply Booze cruises. The on board alcohol prices are way lower than they pay ashore. She said she hated being aboard with huge numbers of perpetually drunk South Africans.

Pete

PS they actually advertise "Cruises to Nowhere" just for the people to get on ship and participate in non-stop drinking

Edited by Skier52

When we did a repositioning from UK to Cape Town we were told by the MSC Club hostess (South African herself) that most of the South African cruises, especially the short duration ones, were simply Booze cruises. The on board alcohol prices are way lower than they pay ashore. She said she hated being aboard with huge numbers of perpetually drunk South Africans.

Pete

PS they actually advertise "Cruises to Nowhere" just for the people to get on ship and participate in non-stop drinking

Right, that's why I wouldn't take a cruise to SA that's less than a week...but I was more interested in learning how safe the ports are and if the excursions are any fun.

I did a 4 night Durban-Durban cruise as part of a B2B with the repositioning Sinfonia Venice-Durban trip 3 weeks ago. It was one of the best cruises ever. The South Africans onboard were terrific passengers. However, you cannot get an all-inclusive drinks package as, apparently they drank the ship dry when it was offered before. I did not witness anybody drunk onboard. There was a great range of ages, too, including quite a lot of families with children. I've never encountered such politeness anywhere as I did onboard this cruise. Everyone queued in very orderly fashion, gave way in elevators and apologised for the slightest infringements. Overall, they were extremely friendly which, as an Irish person, really resonated.

With regards to the ports: we visited Maputo, Mozambique and were warned by several crew members not to even consider disembarking due to how dangerous a place it is. We decided to do a ship's excursion to tour the city which we thoroughly enjoyed. The other port was Portugese Island which is uninhabited. MSC puts on a barbeque on the beach and there are a couple of excursions for those who wish to do water based activities or visit the neighbouring, inhabited island, whose people come across to assist with the setting up of all the food and drink brought ashore from the ship. They also set up a small market to sell their wares. We had a fantastic time there.

I did a 4 night Durban-Durban cruise as part of a B2B with the repositioning Sinfonia Venice-Durban trip 3 weeks ago. It was one of the best cruises ever. The South Africans onboard were terrific passengers. However, you cannot get an all-inclusive drinks package as, apparently they drank the ship dry when it was offered before. I did not witness anybody drunk onboard. There was a great range of ages, too, including quite a lot of families with children. I've never encountered such politeness anywhere as I did onboard this cruise. Everyone queued in very orderly fashion, gave way in elevators and apologised for the slightest infringements. Overall, they were extremely friendly which, as an Irish person, really resonated.

With regards to the ports: we visited Maputo, Mozambique and were warned by several crew members not to even consider disembarking due to how dangerous a place it is. We decided to do a ship's excursion to tour the city which we thoroughly enjoyed. The other port was Portugese Island which is uninhabited. MSC puts on a barbeque on the beach and there are a couple of excursions for those who wish to do water based activities or visit the neighbouring, inhabited island, whose people come across to assist with the setting up of all the food and drink brought ashore from the ship. They also set up a small market to sell their wares. We had a fantastic time there.

Yes, South Africans are a friendly, polite bunch, with good sense of humors, I work with a couple of doctors from SA.

This sounds like it might be an itinerary I would like, except it would have to be longer. Putting it on my list. Thanks Bea.

• 10 months later...
I'm intrigued, though it only goes to Durban side of SA and Portuguese island...and short cruises. I wouldn't fly there for anything less than a 7 day itinerary. I believe the Sinfonia will be there in 2018 for March.

Hi

A very late reply to your post - only just saw it! However decided to post as I did Cape Town to Venice in May 2017 on Sinfonia and loved it. So much I booked to cruise in April 2018 from Durban to Venice 25 nights. Look under Grand Voyages on MSC website!:)