Is KLM using smaller planes after October

Karysa

After October 30, 2016 will the KLM from Amsterdam will be a smaller plane? I read in the Daily Herald newspaper that it will be an Airbus 330-200 that will have only 243 passengers and fly direct. This article was from July so I am asking if this is still the plan.

I for one would miss the BIG one very much. It's arrival always made Maho extra fun!

The day of the 747 is limited (at least in St Maarten) as its being replaced (on many routes) by more efficient aircraft. It looks like KLM has moved to the A320 (a 2 Engine plane). But Air France has a A340 (a large 4 engine airbus) scheduled to arrive about 2:45 on Oct 30th. That is probably the largest aircraft coming to St Maarten this winter.

Hank

The day of the 747 is limited (at least in St Maarten) as its being replaced (on many routes) by more efficient aircraft. It looks like KLM has moved to the A320 (a 2 Engine plane). But Air France has a A340 (a large 4 engine airbus) scheduled to arrive about 2:45 on Oct 30th. That is probably the largest aircraft coming to St Maarten this winter.

Hank

So the Air France A340 Airbus's are bigger than the non-stop planes that are flying from New York, Miami, and Toronto for instance then?

The good news is that in high season the KLM will arrive 3 days a week instead of 2. The Blue plane with the blue sky and tourqois water makes for a great picture even if it's not a double decker ( I have seen the double decker in the past but not recently myself)

The times have changed as well and they are good for cruisers staying late. Tues-Fri-Sun- arriving at 1715 and taking off at 1905. ( so arrival 5:15 pm and departure 7:05 pm)

Edited by Karysa

The good news is that in high season the KLM will arrive 3 days a week instead of 2. The Blue plane with the blue sky and tourqois water makes for a great picture even if it's not a double decker ( I have seen the double decker in the past but not recently myself)

The times have changed as well and they are good for cruisers staying late. Tues-Fri-Sun- arriving at 1715 and taking off at 1905. ( so arrival 5:15 pm and departure 7:05 pm)

Can someone who's good at looking at flight schedules check these times. :D I think that 5:15 A and 7:05 D may be for Sunday's, and Tues and Fri look like mid-late afternoon flights.

So the Air France A340 Airbus's are bigger than the non-stop planes that are flying from New York, Miami, and Toronto for instance then?

Yes, the A340 is a pretty darn big 4 engine aircraft. Flights from the US are generally in smaller twin engine aircraft such as A320s 757s, and 737s. Air France used to run a 747 to St Maarten (that was the flight that brought lots of folks out to Maho) but I think that has been replaced with the A340.

But no reason for you to guess about any of this. Since you know the date and the times you will be in port...you can simply go to any decent airline search engine (i,e. Orbitz, Expedia, etc) and pull up a list of all the flights from various airports (for New York...simply use NYC which will give you all 3 of their major airports). Then just click on the "details" for each flight and it will show you the aircraft type. There are other sites like Flightstats where you can simply ask for all scheduled arrivals at SXM (St Maartens airport) but many of these sites do give info for more then a few days in advance.

Hank

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yes, the A340 is a pretty darn big 4 engine aircraft. Flights from the US are generally in smaller twin engine aircraft such as A320s 757s, and 737s. Air France used to run a 747 to St Maarten (that was the flight that brought lots of folks out to Maho) but I think that has been replaced with the A340.

But no reason for you to guess about any of this. Since you know the date and the times you will be in port...you can simply go to any decent airline search engine (i,e. Orbitz, Expedia, etc) and pull up a list of all the flights from various airports (for New York...simply use NYC which will give you all 3 of their major airports). Then just click on the "details" for each flight and it will show you the aircraft type. There are other sites like Flightstats where you can simply ask for all scheduled arrivals at SXM (St Maartens airport) but many of these sites do give info for more then a few days in advance.

Hank

Hank

Thanks. I think that the only 747 that I have seen has been the KLM from Amsterdam and what ever that double decker is called.:)

It's nice to have an idea of when the biggest planes are coming in so cruisers can plan if and when they want to visit Maho.

I think the 747 is always so cool to see. I remember the first time I saw it land there in the 1990s. We were amazed we could be so close to it.

The A330 KLM will be using is still a wide-body (two aisles inside the plane) jet so it's larger than the AA, United, JetBlue, etc. single-aisle jets that land there.

We even like watching the Gulfstreams and turboprops land there. It's just such a cool place to be.

Edited by mizLORInj

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I think that the only 747 that I have seen has been the KLM from Amsterdam and what ever that double decker is called.:).

The Double Decker you think of is the 747 ;) . Airbus makes A380 but it is too big for St Martin.

The Double Decker you think of is the 747 ;) . Airbus makes A380 but it is too big for St Martin.

747-400 must have been the KLM that I saw. Google A380 SXM though, the you tube videos are the best as you see Maho beach and everything.

Edited by Karysa

After October 30, 2016 will the KLM from Amsterdam will be a smaller plane? I read in the Daily Herald newspaper that it will be an Airbus 330-200 that will have only 243 passengers and fly direct. This article was from July so I am asking if this is still the plan.

I for one would miss the BIG one very much. It's arrival always made Maho extra fun!

From Sunday they are using smaller plans A330.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/buitenland/1.2806194

Sheba2008