Tips for Alaskan Excursions

FishersFrogs

We are a family of five (three daughters ages 10, 10, 12) heading to Alaska next June. I'd love to hear any recommendations on excursions (or those to avoid). Especially any can't miss. We are up for adventure and activity level is good with the entire family. No one is picky - except one daughter is not a zipline fan. Wildlife is of special interest. If you have recommendations on which stops are better for which activity that is very much appreciated - we're heading to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria.

So far the helicopter/dog sled and the fjord plane are high on our list. We'd like to do a wildlife/whale watch too and maybe something active like canoe??

Open to either cruise or independent.

I've searched through the forums and read quite a bit, but happy to link to others that have already provided feedback on other threads.

Thanks in advance!

We are a family of five (three daughters ages 10, 10, 12) heading to Alaska next June. I'd love to hear any recommendations on excursions (or those to avoid). Especially any can't miss. We are up for adventure and activity level is good with the entire family. No one is picky - except one daughter is not a zipline fan. Wildlife is of special interest. If you have recommendations on which stops are better for which activity that is very much appreciated - we're heading to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria.

So far the helicopter/dog sled and the fjord plane are high on our list. We'd like to do a wildlife/whale watch too and maybe something active like canoe??

I've searched through the forums and read quite a bit, but happy to link to others that have already provided feedback on other threads.

Thanks in advance!

We are a family of four travelling to Alaska in August. I have spent quite a while looking at websites for each of the cities you have mentioned.

We have decided to do the Whale Watch and Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau.

in Skagway we are doing a Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. A full description is on Alaska Excursions website.

In Ketchican the two teens in my group will be ziplining.

As far as Victoria goes, I am not certain, perhaps walk around and go to Fisherman's Wharf.

We are used to travelling to Caribbean so this is a big change for us.

We are planning to travel to Seattle on the Friday before our trip and do some sightseeing in Seattle. Planning on buying a Seattle City Pass. Appears to be a good value.

Let me know if you would like links to any of the shore excursions. All are booked independent.

Thank you both - I will definitely read up on the Alaska pages.

The Glacier Safari is an interest for us too. We'd like to do a flight option, but have heard those get canceled often. Also hoping to snorkle - but have to make sure our petite 10 year old can go.

Thanks in advance!

We have done the Misty fjord plane twice, no weather issues. These fill up quickly so I would make your decision soon.

We did the Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and loved it!! It was a neat excursion, long one too. The guides that are out there really make the trip an experience. They truly love what they're doing.

We also did the helicopter ride up to Mendenhall Glacier and it was without a doubt the most exciting thing I've ever done. Worth every penny!! And I don't like to fly! LOL!!

You can read about those excursions in my report here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382500

We did a private Harv and Marv's whale watching in Juneau and it was so much better and close up than the large cruise ship tour boats. We have done the helicopter to,the glacier dog sledding twice through cruise ship tour in Skagway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums