I'm staring at my empty suitcase......

KRANKYK

I leave on 11/9/05 for my cruise on the Star -- and I am just staring at my empty suitcase wondering what to pack!?

So far I have about 8-10 pair of shoes (I can't decide!!), 2-3 pair of jeans, 2 pair of capri's, 2 skirts, 3 pair of shorts, 2 swimsuits, 6-8 tops, 2 dresses, a jean jacket, work out clothes, etc. thrown all over my bed....

I need it all right??? :rolleyes:

Might call your airlines too Check on the weight your luggage can be before they charge you extra Just had some friends leave for San Diego from Indiana 8 day on Carnival Spirit Some were unaware the luggage for Continental is 50 lbs not the previous 70 or 75

My understanding freestyle cruising you choose if you want to dress up or not that might help the packing

Why so many shoes ? I take a pair of sneakers, sandals such as KEEN which can be dry or wet and a nice black pair for dressy nites

Best wishes packing can be a pain !:eek:

Might call your airlines too Check on the weight your luggage can be before they charge you extra Just had some friends leave for San Diego from Indiana 8 day on Carnival Spirit Some were unaware the luggage for Continental is 50 lbs not the previous 70 or 75

My understanding freestyle cruising you choose if you want to dress up or not that might help the packing

Why so many shoes ? I take a pair of sneakers, sandals such as KEEN which can be dry or wet and a nice black pair for dressy nites

Best wishes packing can be a pain !

Listen, I know exactly what you're talking about. I packed the largest suitcase we had and then repacked and took things out when I found out one piece of luggage couldn't go over 50 lbs. I still took way too much. I thought I had to have an different outfit for everything - not so. The cruise is so laid back you are comfortable in anything and that is exactly what you will see - anything and everything. In the day shorts, and casual capris work and in the evening I wore dressier capris or a sundress. I also saw skirts and slacks in the evening. I took a bunch of workout clothes and never used them. We were soooo busy...but if you do get a chance to work out take only two sets and interchange them. The secret to this vacation is the less is the best. Take some interchangeables in all your clothes and this will cut down your suitcase. I also took two bathing suits and I used both. One on the ship, the other on the beaches. Don't take so many shoes. Not only are they heavy and bulky but you won't wear them all. Plus there will be a problem finding a place to store them in your room. So like msjotomboy said, cut down your shoes. I took tennis shoes, 2 pair of sandals (one knock around on the ship and the others for my capris and one pair of dress shoes that would match both my formals. I could have cut out a pair of sandals out and it would have been fine. Just be comfortable. You can look great and still work within your luggage weight limit. Good luck and have a wonderful time!

I don't think that you'll need all of those shoes. 3-4 pair, plus sneaks for work-out & walking will be enough. If you are going to a warm climate, you might not need heavy jeans.

The skirts, capris, dresses, swimwear, tops, & denim jacket sound perfect. A nice jacket or sweater might be needed in the diningroom or theater at night.

The airconditioning can be very cool.

Have a great trip.

During the evenings and for dinner you may want to pack a few more pairs of nice capris or slacks. I think you'll feel much better looking nice when out to dinner. You didn't mention how many days you were on the cruise?

My only bit of added advice would be that it will likely be too hot for jeans during the days, and jeans are not welcomed in the dining rooms after 5, so if it were me, I would take that as an opportunity to cut down on the space and weight taken up by a pair of jeans or two.

Have a great time and good luck packing!!!:D

Thank you to everyone -- I will try to be more realistic. I guess it is because it is an 8 night cruise and I am not used to vacations this long (usually 4-5 nights max).

I will cut back on the jeans and shoes for sure and try to keep it a little more casual.

I am sure I will survive!

Thanks again to everyone for the posts and well wishes -- I am very excited!!

That fifty pound weight limit can really get ya! I've had to pay the $25 overage fee myself. Live and Learn they say.

My trick is to wear my "heavy" stuff on the plane. Jeans, sneakers, sweatshirt or shirt & jacket. These aren't weighed. And you'd be amazed how much that stuff can add to the weight of your luggage. Besides travel day is grueling usually so save the fancy stuff for once you get on board.

Every cruise I've been on has it's chilly times so I always wear/bring my one sturdy warm outfit.

This will sound wierd but pack twice as much underwear as you think you will need. Just think about it...you'll be off on excursions, coming back, changing into a swimsuit, showering, then into something for dinner, working out etc. or hitting the hot tub. Who wants to recycle underwear?!:o I learned this lesson the hard way on a cruise I took last year. I forgot most of my underwear and forgot to pack any of my bras. I had to do the whole cruise in the sports bra I started out in. I hand washed it of course but it just wasn't the same.

I am staring at my almost packed suitcase, I keep weighing it to be certain of not going over the 32kg limit. So far I have 90% of what I wanted in there and its still less than 25kg, so I am happy :) The last things to go in there will be the 'posh frocks' on the morning the taxi comes to take me to the airport :)

You're on the right track, cutting back on jeans and shoes will save you a ton of weight and you probably won't need them. We take advantage of the ships dry cleaning service and laundry (vacation time is too short to do your own!).

The best way to cut back is to wear the same outfits twice and see if you can get by without having the stuff cleaned. We wear the same outfit for embark/debark, first and last nights dinners, mix and match tops to slacks the rest of the nights. Instead of 2 dresses, take one and change accessories the second wearing.

I'd probably ditch the jean jacket and take a sweatshirt, but I just find sweatshirts easier to pack and more comfortable. Take plenty of underwear, it is easily washed out in the sink.

I would probably double up on the swimsuits, though. You will find more time is spent in swimsuits than any other article of clothing you bring along. I would get tired of wearing the same two all week. We usually bring along one that we consider sacrificial, as the chlorine in the hot tubs can ruin a suit quickly.

Have a wonderful cruise!

That fifty pound weight limit can really get ya! I've had to pay the $25 overage fee myself. Live and Learn they say. My trick is to wear my "heavy" stuff on the plane.

Lucky for me I live about 40 minutes away -- so no plane flight for me! :p

I've gone over my list again and again -- I have cut back a lot -- but added more under garments!

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

event.png

I'm just the opposite of some of you--I hate packing lots of underwear. For traveling, I buy the quick-dry, extra-light panties from Patagonia (expensive, but they last forever and they go on sale a couple of times a year) and wash 'em out in the sink. They're dry in a couple of hours.

Goldryder, I'm excited on your behalf for your Christmas Cape Horn cruise! Hoping to do this one soon, either on the Crown or on a Princess ship. We're weighing the different advantages: The Crown is smaller and can get into tighter fjords and channels, plus it has our beloved freestyle. But Princess is using a larger ship, which should be more stable in those very rough seas, and it has balconies. Looking forward to your eventual review.

Archived