National Archeological Museum Athens

Casey2

We are considering going to the National Archeological Museum while in Athens. We know that we can take the X80 bus to the Acropolis or Syntagma Square. Does anyone know how to get to the museum from either of these places? Is there a bus we can take?

We are considering going to the National Archeological Museum while in Athens. We know that we can take the X80 bus to the Acropolis or Syntagma Square. Does anyone know how to get to the museum from either of these places? Is there a bus we can take?

If you were to take the metro from Piraeus (Green line), it would be easy as you could just stay on it until you reach Victoria stop, which is walking distance to the museum.

Otherwise, if you were to take the X80 bus to either Acropoli or Syntagma, you could still take the metro to Victoria but would have to transfer once -- see metro map.

http://greeklandscapes.com/images/maps/athens-metro-map.jpg

We will be in Athens for 2 days in 2017. This museum is in our plans. How much time should we budget here? Is 2 hours enough or should we budget more time so we are not literally "running" through it?

There is a lot to see there, but it's not as large as the Louvre or the Vatican Museums.

I really love museums but find if I spend more than 2-3 hours at a time, it is difficult to concentrate on what you're seeing.

If you have some idea of the highlights and what you're interested in seeing, I think 2-3 hours is fine. Two might be a little tight.

Last time I was there I spent a whole afternoon (and it was my third visit)! I did break it up by stopping for a coffee and pastry break in the nice little coffee shop/courtyard area on the bottom floor.

• 1 month later...

We spent 2-3 hours there and left. It was enough for one go. We plan to go back next time we are in Athens. The challenge for me is that the exhibits are similar in theme. I need a little variety so I prefer to keep the visits shorter. Not like another favourite museum of ours where one can simple go up or down a floor or two and find a completely different exhibit theme.

if you using the X80 bus you can get the trolley #5 from Vasilisis Amalias street (150 meters from X80 bus stop). After 3 stops you will depart at "Polytexneio" stop.. at 200 meters you will see the museum.

for return... go back to "Polytexneio" stop but at the opposite side of the road and get one of the trolley #2 or #11 or #15. Will depart after 3-4 stops at Syntagma square 50 meters from X80 bus stop.

You don't need purchase a new ticket for these routes. You can using the X80 ticket for all Athens transportations all day (bus, trolley, metro etc).