The [Almost] Complete Ship Guide and Review to the NCL Jade 11-13-2016

Angelo_R

First time cruiser ... Uber nervous, but this is definitely has helped ease it a little 😊

Don't be nervous, think of it as hotel, restaurants, transportation, entertainment all rolled into one. Bonus you visit lots of new places without having to lug your suitcases through several airports.

Quick question.....did you see if they offered the "couple's pass" for the spa. Almost every cruise we have been on, we have taken advantage of this offer...it's usually limited to 20 couple's and only offered the first day. I haven't used a spa pass on the last few cruises so maybe they have stopped offering the couple's pass for $199.

Quick question.....did you see if they offered the "couple's pass" for the spa. Almost every cruise we have been on, we have taken advantage of this offer...it's usually limited to 20 couple's and only offered the first day. I haven't used a spa pass on the last few cruises so maybe they have stopped offering the couple's pass for $199.

Honestly I've never seen or heard of a couples pass for the Thermal Spa on NCL. DW and I have bought the spa passes on all but this last trip and always had to pay individual prices ($129-$199/each depending on the ship). We are always together when initially purchase the passes. I know they limit the number of spa passes sold on each ship depending on the size of the Thermal Spa area; usually 60 men/60 women, but the larger ships do 80 or 100 of each gender.

How do they do the boarding process in Tampa? I will be on the Jade in January. At what point do they hand out the boarding numbers and do you get a lower number if you arrive early?

Aside from special groups like "The Haven" or handicapped, it's first come, first on. If you're first in line at the terminal, you'll get the first boarding group pass and be the first to sit and the longest to wait until they start boarding (usually around 11-11:30). We like to get there early just in case of traffic/accidents that may delay us, but also so we don't have to stand so long in the security line, then the check-in line. This last trip, we got there about 11:30, in the terminal around 11:50 for security check which took about 15 minutes, then check-in which the line took about 20 minutes, then it was about 12:30 and we just walked on the ship. Also, if you have carry-on baggage, they don't normally open/allow you to go to the rooms until 1-1:30 so you will be carrying your stuff around the ship as you explore.

This last trip, we got there about 11:30, in the terminal around 11:50 for security check which took about 15 minutes, then check-in which the line took about 20 minutes, then it was about 12:30 and we just walked on the ship.
So it sounds like you didn't get a boarding number at all? Did you see/hear them boarding by groups, or was it already open boarding by the time you arrived?

So it sounds like you didn't get a boarding number at all? Did you see/hear them boarding by groups, or was it already open boarding by the time you arrived?

No number this time. When we arrived at the check-in desk line (the waiting area is off to the side), they had called all the groups so we didn't see anyone there. Everyone was just heading to the ship after checking in and getting their key cards.

We did purposely arrive later because we heard the Jade would be leaving late. It had just come from a TransAtlantic and they do more maintenance and checks before sail away. I think normally sail away is at 4 or 5pm - we didn't leave until 7 or 8pm.

I think normally sail away is at 4 or 5pm - we didn't leave until 7 or 8pm.
We saw you heading down the Channel :)

I think broadwaycam asked about the boarding numbers because on another thread, people are saying that for the Breakaway in NY, you can arrive super early and still get group #24 :eek: But the Jade is a lot smaller, and from what you're saying it sounds like all the boarding groups were on board by noon, so there's no real reason to get there at 8am and then sit there for hours.

2017 – 1/08, 4/9**, 4/16**

** Both of these sailings will be after Dry Dock in March.

There are also 2 sailings on 12/18/2016 and 12/26/16 that are 8-Day Western Caribbean which rotate the stops above, and add the Santo Tomas de Castilla (Guatemala) port.

You seem pretty complete which is awesome... I am on the same sailing on 4/23 which you didn't list. Hoping you do not know something and you just missed the date. :) I'm so excited and just hope nothing has changed.;) This will be my first!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very complete report. We loved the Jade and had just debarked from the trans-Atlantic the day you embarked. Our CC group was so big that the meet and greet was in the Spinnaker. The afternoon movies in the theater were special, as was the officers meeting with the public after Bermuda was canceled due to a storm. We did have an emergency one-hour stop for a medical evacuation in the Bahamas, however. Strong memories and new friendships! Bon voyage to everyone.

THANKS so much for the detailed information. I'll be on Jade in 28 days, first time cruising with NCL and first ever solo cruise. Your post and the replies have helped calm some of the anxiety of new situations. Now I can relax a little and enjoy the anticipation !

Tks for the report.

Will be on the Jade this coming November (different ports thou) and I'm very excited about this Cruise, specially since she's being refurbished.

It'll be the second time I go with my mom, we love to travel together and do it as much as we can.

[emoji111]🏻[emoji111]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Forums