boat rental in Port Canaveral?

fd851

I am looking to rent a boat on a Tuesday afternoon, that we sail into Port Canaveral. Has anyone done this, and if so, how did you work out the land transportation issues? I would rather avoid shuttling to a car rental agency, to drive to the boat, park the car and repeat the procedure on the return. Thoughts?

I am looking to rent a boat on a Tuesday afternoon, that we sail into Port Canaveral. Has anyone done this, and if so, how did you work out the land transportation issues? I would rather avoid shuttling to a car rental agency, to drive to the boat, park the car and repeat the procedure on the return. Thoughts?

Hopefully CaptBJ will see this. He's a captain and lives in Port Canaveral.

If he doesn't see it, you can google local marinas and ask them.

You can Uber to the marina and back to your hotel.

bottom line ..... renting a boat in PC is not a good idea ......

I'm not aware of anyone who rents boats (day rentals) out of PC ..... {day rentals with ocean access???? BAD idea IMO}

There ARE some rentals in the area where you can get a boat restricted to the rivers (Banana and Indian rivers) but these are a bit away from the port area. (restricted in this sense means you don't have enuf time to get to the ocean!)

If you have access, Patrick AFB rents boats and the prices are about half the going rate ... but you need access, the base is about 20 minutes from the port and there are certain 'qualifications' to be met (can be accomplished on line) these boats are restricted to the rivers

Thanks Cap'n, but let me pick your brain a bit here.....

First, I have absolutely no interest in taking a boat out into the open ocean, especially not a pontoon boat like I am looking for. I merely want something to cruise up and down the river, maybe finding a restaurant at which we can dock and grab something to eat.

Explain the locks to me, please? I saw on another website something about them, too. There is a boat rental place just across the bridge, on Merritt Island that rents pontoons. Is it necessary to go through locks to get to some of the restaurants I have seen down-river?

I have operated boats on many inland rivers and lakes before, so tell me what is different about the river here that worries you, or was it just the thought that some land lubber would want to take a boat off shore!! Believe me when I say, the worst cruise ever, would result in "ending up dead, Clark!"

if you restrict activity to the rivers, the risk is much less of course ... still there, but less than the ocean. Like many river areas this one is known for shallow waters and shifting bottoms ....

the "only place" in the area on the river to rent boats that I'm aware of (other than Patrick AFB) is http://cocoabeachjetskirentals.com/ which is 'just over the bridge' on 520, the next set of bridges south of the port and SR 528. from here you can get to Sunset Bar and Grill, on the water 3 miles due east, still on SR520. It is pretty much the only rest/bar water side on the river in this area. (other rental places I know are farther south, in Melbourne)

This area is within the permitted operating area of PAFB boat rentals and I've toyed around here. Other than the channel to Sunset Grill off the main channel, it is known for shallow water and shifting channels .... it is known locally as 1000 islands area .... PAFB recommends staying out as it is easy to damage the prop and be responsible $$. Popular kayak and SUP area tho.

The only other bar on the Banana River in this area is Squid Lips, who's deck was ordered closed by the city recently for various code violations ....

The lock provides a short cut from the river to the port/ocean. The nearest natural opening is Sebastian Inlet, a good ways south. The lock was built to support NASA in the 60's. Rocket components arriving by barge at the port could be moved closer to processing facilities up river. The lock prevents free flow of water thru the un-natural conduit. Today it is used by a limited amount of commercial barge traffic, and by boats living in the greater Cocoa area to get to 'open water'. The locks would simply get you into the port.

When I rent a boat from PAFB it is usually just to take first time visitors sightseeing ... cruising the canals behind the nicer houses south of the base with a lil knee boarding or tube riding tossed in.

Edited by Capt_BJ