Live Blogging from Allure of the Seas 12/4

The goal for the day was to do two things; zip-lining and the rock climbing wall. I’m terribly afraid of heights, but, wanted to experience both before getting off the ship. In addition to those two items, I also wanted to have lunch at Giovanni’s table. Daniel was able to work a massage in for mom, and I wanted to do the Crown & Anchor Meet the Stars event that was happening during the early afternoon hours. All in all a very busy day, for a sea day.

In addition to all of the morning activities I signed up for another cycle class in the early morning (9AM, hey for me that’s early on vacation). Fortunately it wasn’t as rough as the first class, and I was able to burn another 800 calories before really starting my day. Again, when you’re used to a cycle studio on land, it wasn’t bad, just not as great as I am used to locally. Obviously I liked it enough to do it again.

One of my favorite things to do in the morning was to get my cup of coffee and sit out on the balcony of the ATS. It was large, inviting, and a nice quiet start to the day. It is definitely the thing that I liked most about the suite, and the thing as I miss the most as I sit in front of my computer at home writing this.

Getting back to the day, after a quick shower from cycling, the doorbell rang to the suite and it was Daniel who walked with us to take mom to her appointment in the spa. It was her first massage ever, and a birthday gift from my dad to mom. After dropping her off, Daniel accompanied me to Starbucks, and then up to Schooner’s where we chatted for a bit before the Meet the Stars event happened for the Crown and Anchor Members. The stars were gracious and entertaining as they fielded questions from the audience. It was a quaint Meet and Greet, and I enjoyed it.

After the event, I went down to the Spa to pick mom up from her appointment where we ran into Dad, and all three of us went to Giovanni’s for lunch. I had the tuna, cheese plate, and the meatballs. The food was tasty, but the service was a bit slow. Not a bad thing for a Sea Day, but not exactly the pace I was wanting either.

After the Sea Day I knew that the Zipline was opening up and wanted to make my way up to the Sports Deck to get in line. It so happened I was a little early, and was able to wait a few minutes before the venue opened up. Louis from the UK was my rigger, and made the experience slightly less terrifying, but, still terrifying when you’re afraid of heights. I don’t remember looking around as I ziplined, I just kept my eyes focused on the catcher at the end of the line.

After the zipline, the parents went back to the suite, and I went to the rock climbing wall. Fortunately with being Star Class I was able to skip the line, get rigged up again, and began my ascent up the wall. Climbing the wall was more challenging than the zipline. The zipline all I had to do was look forward and not down, and I was okay; rock climbing, I had to keep looking down for places to move the feet and I felt the height with every movement up. However; I was able to conquer my fears, I made it to the top, rang the bell, and then rappelled down the wall. When I got to the base, the spotter asked if I wanted to go again, and I couldn’t. My hands were shaking, and all I wanted to do was go get a margarita from the Sabor bar to help calm my nerves.

After heading back to the suite, my brother messaged and he and his girlfriend were up in line for ziplining, so we made our way back up to the Sports Deck to watch them zip over the Boardwalk. They both have skydived before so I am sure they had no issues, and watching them zip along, they both had smiles on their faces.

After ziplining, I milled around the ship for a bit before returning to the suite to prepare for dinner. It was the second formal night, and Daniel had made a reservation for us at 150 Central Park. Earlier in the week Daniel and I colluded to celebrate Mom’s birthday tonight, at his recommendation. This happened unbeknownst to anyone besides us, and I was excited to surprise Mom during the dinner.

The server we had at 150 was exceptional, I really wish I remembered his name because he brought something truly magical to the evening. I had the lobster gnocchi, veal bolognese agnolotti, and the server brought out the duck confit for the table to share. For the main course, I was going to have the 20 oz for two, but, he insisted we switch the order to the 23oz Dry Aged Ribeye for Two, and it was the most amazing steak I have tasted. Dad ordered the tableside Tuna Tartare, and I ordered the Central Park Martini. At the end of the dinner the birthday surprise happened, and beyond the cake from Daniel, the restaurant also prepared a mini cheesecake surprise for mom. It was the finest dining experience I have had on any ship, and that includes the Chef’s table.

After the dinner we made our way down to Blue Planet, which was unique. I wasn’t entirely sure what I was expecting, but it was a great night activity to end the day. After the show, mom and I walked around the promenade a bit, exploring different shops, I had wanted a shirt, and she wanted to buy a razor because she left hers at home. Then we went to the rising tide, and rode up to Central Park and then back to the suite.

Upon arriving in the suite, there were gifts from Daniel and Hubert in the living room. Tailored to the questionnaire that I had answered, along with a card. “Family is a gift that lasts forever” is what the card had inscribed, and I was presented a leather bound notebook engraved with “Notable Occurrences from Shawn’s Adventures” as well as a Royal Caribbean pen. There was also a throw, two shirts, and a king and queen cruisers mug. It was a very nice surprise on the voyage.

Please give me an idea about show times. Last week on HOTS many shows were at times that either conflicted with cocktail time or dinner time, or were at 11 PM. Not good for me. Also, was the aqua show ever cancelled? It was several times because of winds on HOTS.

Please give me an idea about show times. Last week on HOTS many shows were at times that either conflicted with cocktail time or dinner time, or were at 11 PM. Not good for me. Also, was the aqua show ever cancelled? It was several times because of winds on HOTS.

They never cancelled the Aqua Show. For us the shows were always between 7:30-8:00PM.

It made for very early dinners. But we made all the shows by the time Daniel requested us to be in the venue for our seats.

Sounds like our Allure shows are going to be scheduled a lot more to my liking than last two weeks on HOTS. Hope this remains the same!

I enjoyed all of the shows, more than I thought I would.

I do wish they did later shows, that allowed for a later dining time. There were somethings I wanted to do that conflicted with the reservations we had. I couldn't ever get a flowrider lesson in, nor could I do the Single & Solo Cruiser meet ups. But, all in all I can't complain because it was an amazing trip.

Enjoying your review.

Thanks! I have two more posts that I am writing out:

- Day 7 & Disembarkation

- Star Class thoughts

I should have probably changed it to a semi-live review, but, I did try to get any questions that were answered, answered while I was onboard.