Hotel near Brooklyn Port?

DrivesLikeMario

I have to fly United so that takes me into LGA. We are sailing 10-7 and will be coming in the night before. No need to do tourist stuff because we will be staying a few days after the cruise in the city. Is there anything around that airport? I haven't check the flight yet but will see if we can fly into Newark.

Thanks

I have to fly United so that takes me into LGA. We are sailing 10-7 and will be coming in the night before. No need to do tourist stuff because we will be staying a few days after the cruise in the city. Is there anything around that airport? I haven't check the flight yet but will see if we can fly into Newark.

Thanks

There isn't much of anything around LGA. Hotel choice is marginal. I believe the last folks who were looking around for a LGA hotel ended up at the Fairfield Inn. I'm sure the New Yorkers who know that area will post about your options.

IMO the considerations for solo travel (previous poster who is concerned about safety) are somewhat different. Newark has a large pool of hotels that cost less than Manhattan or LGA and there are many accessible options for getting into NYC via airport bus, NJTransit train, PATH, and taxi/car service. Downtown Newark is also an option. As a solo traveler I've paid under $100 for a totally acceptable hotel in downtown Newark. If I were going to the Manhattan Cruiseport the train plus cab would be about $20. PATH, light rail and cab to Cape Liberty is $15-18. From Newark Airport it costs $13 to take the train to New York Penn Station plus $12-15 for a cab to the port. Airport bus is $17-18 plus $10-13 for a cab to the port.

I was looking to stay in Brooklyn before catching a cruise ship to the UK.

I will be fling in to JFK the day before my trip and have been looking at the best western hotels in Brooklyn.

Reviews seem so varied its difficult to decide so I would love some advice from anyone who has used this chain or any locals with knowledge of these hotels.

the ones that seem the best to me are,

Best Western plus, prospect park, and best Western Arena.

Any advice is very welcome :)

Just in case its relevant, I will get to Brooklyn on July 5 th and sail on July 6th

I was looking to stay in Brooklyn before catching a cruise ship to the UK.

I will be fling in to JFK the day before my trip and have been looking ... Best Western plus, prospect park, and best Western Arena.

Any advice is very welcome :) Just in case its relevant, I will get to Brooklyn on July 5 th and sail on July 6th

Assumed you will be cruising out of nearby Red Hooks pier in Brooklyn next July ... staying overnight with no plans to sightsee in Manhattan, just good & clean bed, place to shower & perhaps a simple dinner on arrival & light breakfast in morning, etc.

BW+Prospect Park in directly on 4th Avenue, a major local route with the underground subway train lines around the corner - in a working class neighborhood, many newly constructed high-rise condo housing & also newly constructed boutique-sized hotels/motels dotted all over the maps. Between them, I would choose it over the BW Arena over in Crowns Height, a little further away in getting over to the pier. Both of them are quite new & similar, rooms are fairly compact but efficient with decent designs, functional with all the basics/essentials.

Using AAA/CAA or senior rates, PP is about $50 USD less than the Arena, and at about $158+taxe/fees ... fairly typical, unless you have a corporate or other discount codes or using points, it's 100% refundable - book it now & lock it. Keep checking as it get closer for better deals - use hotwire, priceline & tripadvisor's search engine to alert you.

Not just the large hotels near JFK do they put homeless in. Any NYC hotel can be an emergency shelter.

Very true. Local chapters of the American Red Cross, Disaster Services also has contracts with various hotels citywide for temporary housing - aiding displaced families usually left homeless due to fire and/or similar vacate orders issued by the city. A fairly large # of households were recently taken after a fire in their Flushing, NY co-op building to a JFK hotel for short-term stay ... until it's clear for them to return to their residence, after salvage/recovery/restoration. Families who can't return would - if qualified - end up in available NYC Housing Authority apartments (offers are sometimes/often declined for variety of reasons.)

Thanks MKING, you assume correctly. We just want somewhere clean and safe to overnight before catching the ship. We thought BW PP would suit us after reading some reviews.

I wonder if you have any advice on transfers from JFK as after reading reviews on various car services including dial 7 and other main ones it seems like a lottery that they will even turn up when booked and not even speak English.

I always ignore a few bad reviews but when over 50% are bad it gives some concern.

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks MKING, you assume correctly. We just want somewhere clean and safe to overnight before catching the ship. We thought BW PP would suit us after reading some reviews.

I wonder if you have any advice on transfers from JFK as after reading reviews on various car services including dial 7 and other main ones it seems like a lottery that they will even turn up when booked and not even speak English.

I always ignore a few bad reviews but when over 50% are bad it gives some concern.

Thanks for your advice.

Dial7 and Carmel Limo are consistently recommended on this forum. I haven't seen any bad reviews on here from cruisers who have taken that recommendation. It's New York. Stuff happens. Will you have access to a cell phone?

Thanks MKING, you assume correctly. We just want somewhere clean and safe to overnight before catching the ship. We thought BW PP would suit us ... advice on transfers from JFK as after reading reviews on various car services including dial 7 and other main ones it seems like a lottery ...

Others and I who are here often, we cruise & use these car services - personally, been a faithful end user for Carmel for many years - airports & cruise - 95% of the time, driver/car is early and late only once by 10 minutes as he got lost due to his Garmin GPS mapping in our tricky residential neighborhood (took a shortcut & ended up on a dead-end street) All of them spoke basic English & good enough to communicate on directions and where to.

Being from the UK, not sure if you will have mobile/cellular data access in the US - if you do, both Dial7 and Carmel has free iOS & Android App to book & track your car service trip, including car & driver info + destination and to alerted of pickup, etc. Dial7's trip fares usually slightly higher but very competitive - we use mainly Carmel (look for online discount) - expect about $45 to $50 USD for your JFK trip to BW-PP hotel, no tolls at all - add 20% tipping for good service. These are professional drivers, unlike some of the popular "ride-sharing" drivers from Uber & Lyft, which we are not fans of, as many are new & unfamiliar - using their (a lot of) GPS/Nav device while driving & often not worth the few dollar savings.

Keep in mind posted reviews can be written by the competition to make others look bad, read the comments on Flyertalk Forum & here on CC instead - and you get a different, balanced & most favorable opinions of expert cruisers of not getting ripped off.

Depending on how "late" your arriving flight into JFK is - please consider & plan your evening supper options, airplane food is what it is & airport food are pricey & limited, but choices equally limited at 10 PM around the hotel, even for the busy/commercial 4th Avenue w. the underground "tube" on the corner. As always, there's usually late night pizza or Chinese takeout delivery in that area and probably a 24/7 deli with sandwiches & cup-an-instant noodles soup to pop in the hotel lobby's microwave. Use Google Earth or Map to get a virtual view of the hotel & surroundings if you haven't done so - my feeling is that you will find it a good & reasonable option, pictures are worth a thousand words.

As for no-show, unlikely - but you can always look for the yellow taxi stand @JFK & use it - this would be a metered fare trip to Brooklyn, depending on late night traffic & route taken (as much as 8 to 10 miles, more or less) - be a bit costly (unlike going to anywhere in Manhattan - it's a flat rate w. toll of about $60 USD + tips)

Happy planning for your cruise & always feel free to come back to search and post new questions here.

Edited by mking8288