Gluten Free

We were just on the Rhapsody, which is one of their smaller ships. I did not try anything that was gluten free, but they did have options for that in the windjammer and one of our tablemates had a gluten allergy, the head waiter came to our table the first night and discussed this with her, and made sure that each night she was shown the correct options etc. I felt as though they were very accommodating

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gee - thanks - but that thread was more focused on the problems encountered. My question is directed at the options available on board. I'll keep in mind your thoughtful suggestion :rolleyes:

Then you should consider rewording your post.

All you asked was

"Does anyone have recent experience with gluten free options?"

Which is answered in that thread. If you wanted a list of options, you should have stated that

I eat gluten free and was on Anthem in September.

If you are eating in the buffet go to the very back of the ship, that is designated gluten free. They will make eggs for you in the morning and there is gluten free bread available. Every afternoon I'd head back there for a gluten free dessert, usually some type of meringue, but I thought they were very good.

In café 270 they have special gluten free sandwiches, just ask. The first time there I asked for a panini and they made one for me. The next time I asked they told me no because they are made on the same grill as the regular sandwiches, so cross contamination if that's an issue for you.

At the pizzeria you can ask for a gluten free pizza, you'll have to wait while they make it for you but it was decent.

Back then for dinner there isn't a mdr so you rotated restaurants with different servers and menus. We at both the Grand and Silk one time each and ate the rest of the time in the specialty restaurants. I always told my waiter my dietary issue and I always had great service and never had a problem.

Enjoy, I'd cruise on Anthem again in a hearbeat!

We just go to the Maitre D' upon embarkation and discuss our grandson's allergies. His food is taken cared till end of cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can also ask to speak with the head chef of the Windjammer to be shown those items that are GF and possibly arrange for a specific item if you know you will dine there in the future. We we offered to have a pasta dish or pizza available last year on the Navigator.

Also your waiter in the main dining when he knows your requirements will bring a menu for the next day and will let you know which items can be made GF and you will preorder in advance.

Dave

I was on Freedom in early November. Our waiter in the main dining room went out of his way to accommodate me. I was also able to get meals specially prepared in the Windjammer by getting the attention of any waitstaff. The tradeoff, of course, was the delay involved. There were a few gluten free options on the buffet, but after observing several passengers cross contaminate it with non GF utensils, i stayed away.

I suggest you contact special needs well in advance of your cruise. They'll most likely tell you to speak with your head waiter on the first night to make arrangements. Waiter should show you the next night's menu so you can choose your next meal. That way, the kitchen has time to prepare. I found that worked well for dinners, but couldn't get the same service for lunch or breakfast.

Bottom line, RCI will do whatever it takes to accommodate you, but they've yet to make self service a viable option. So expect delays in getting your food.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I eat gluten free and was on Anthem in September.

If you are eating in the buffet go to the very back of the ship, that is designated gluten free. They will make eggs for you in the morning and there is gluten free bread available. Every afternoon I'd head back there for a gluten free dessert, usually some type of meringue, but I thought they were very good.

In café 270 they have special gluten free sandwiches, just ask. The first time there I asked for a panini and they made one for me. The next time I asked they told me no because they are made on the same grill as the regular sandwiches, so cross contamination if that's an issue for you.

At the pizzeria you can ask for a gluten free pizza, you'll have to wait while they make it for you but it was decent.

Back then for dinner there isn't a mdr so you rotated restaurants with different servers and menus. We at both the Grand and Silk one time each and ate the rest of the time in the specialty restaurants. I always told my waiter my dietary issue and I always had great service and never had a problem.

Enjoy, I'd cruise on Anthem again in a hearbeat!

Thanks - sounds wonderful!!

The specialty restaurants also have a good variety. DW really liked the extent of the gluten free choices at Giovanni's - including the breads. Chops was a bit more limited, but both were very accommodating. Even WJ had gluten-free buns for their burgers.

Most MDR items can be modified to accommodate, although not always well. Some dinners were really good, others just had the sauce removed :confused: Gluten free bread was brought to our table every evening. My husband enjoyed most of the bread options, although some were quite heavy.

He found there were packaged snicker doodles cookies in the coffee shop, just ask for them, as they are not on display. Also Udi's bagels were available in the Central Park Café (individually wrapped and hidden), you just have to request and they will make you a sandwich and toast your bagel using the special GF designated toaster so it takes a while.

Same with the gluten free pizza. It needs to be ordered, so it takes time.

At the buffet, there is a GF area, but you can ask one of the chefs to tell you what else is there that is made without gluten at the regular buffet (not recommended if you are celiac, but only for an intolerance). I remember one type of burger was ok and one not, same with the breakfast sausages.

Overall, lots of options, you just have to ask and usually wait a bit.