Salt Grill experience - Pacific Eden Nov 2016

ozbrian

We recently sailed on the Pacific Eden to PNG. We decided to visit Salt Grill on Formal (cocktail) night and splurged the addition $98 for dinner. My wife and I both ordered the 300g scotch fillet and some sides. My steak was fine – apart from the red wine jus, but my wife’s steak was over 50% gristle and she was having a real chore trying to get anything edible off it. The maître d noticed and offered to get her something different. He apologised and said the chef should have noticed the poor cut of meat. So my diner is getting cold while we wait 15 minutes for another steak. I forget what the cut was but it was cooked perfectly but had no flavour at all.

One of the sides we ordered was truffle mashed potatoes and it was so thin I could not pick it up with a fork – it looked more like a soup. I mentioned the red wine jus earlier and it looked to be water based and had a burnt flavour. On a plus, I did enjoy the liquorice parfait dessert.

Your mileage may vary but we do not believe this was worth an extra $49 each, in fact, if this was one of the free restaurants we wouldn’t have bothered going back for a second try.

That's a real shame! My partner and I (as well as my cousin and his wife) went to Salt Grill on the Jewel on Nov 30th and all 3 meals we had were amazing, we don't usually dine out so was well worth the $49 charge to us. I had the lamb chops with the mint sauce and I could have easily had another 2 or 3 plates of it :D My partner also proposed to me after dessert :o and the chef gave us a cake with congratulations on it which we took back to our cabin and ate the next day as we were SO full from our meal but I would definitely dine there again, loved our food and the service was great. Shame you had such a bad run with it.