Worried about age range on Caribbean Princess

roger75

I don't want to offend anyone on the boards, but I'm starting to question if I made the right decision in choosing Princess as my first cruise experience. Myself and my partner (I'm 30 and he's 33) have never taken a cruise and decided at the last minute to choose the Caribbean Princess and the 7 night Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We compared this with the RCI Voyager of the Seas and since we were looking to save $$$, we chose the CB because it saved us a little bit of money. However, now that I've been reading the Royal Caribbean boards I'm wondering if we made the right decision in chosing Princess for our first cruise. We get along wonderfully with people of any age, I just don't want us to feel like we're obviously in the minority and not enjoy this vacation. Is it irrational to think this way? Any feedback is welcome.

My husband and I, ages 30 and 29, recently took our honeymoon cruise on the CB and LOVED IT!!! We had only tried Carnival prior and were thinking about RCI next but now we're not sure! This cruise was so wonderful, I can't imagine topping it! What did you love about RCI, maybe I can tell you if Princess has what you are looking for.

I don't think you will have any problems finding lots of fun folks to hang out with. Typically if you are cruising outside the school vacation times the demographic may be a bit older, but we have always cruised in the autumn and there have been people of every age group. The only exception to that was our most recent trip on Celebrity. That group averaged in the 50-60 range for the most part but we still had a good time.

Not wanting to be intrusive but I wanted to add that there is usually a FOD get together at some point on each cruise too. Sometimes several get togethers over the week.

You will have a great time!!!

I think your bigger question is really what kind of cruise experience you want. If you are looking for a slightly more subdued experience with an overall older crowded, you will be happy with your choice.

Caribbean Princess' general age ranges is quite a bit lower than other Princess ships. The ship is plenty lively; you will not be bored. And with 3100 passengers onboard -- LOTS of thirty-somethings will be in the crowd.

I think people in your age range will enjoy the Princess experience, and you'll be satisfied with the crowd on Caribbean Princess, in particular.

Our Carribean Princess experience was great. There were many, many couples in the early to mid 30 age bracket. You will not be disappointed! My wife and I are in our late 40's and felt we were on the upper end of the age bracket (too old). We met a couple in their early 30's and became instant freinds... we went on excursions, shopping, dinner, shows together and had a great time!! Don't fret over the age thing, just have a great cruise. Enjoy a movie under the stars - it is an unforgettable experience.

When are you guys sailing?

Hubby and I were 24 and 26 when we went on our first Princess cruise five years ago. (Grand Princess to Western Caribbean) We didn't feel out of place at all. At dinner we were paired with another couple around our same age who were on their honeymoon too. We had the best vacation ever!

I suppose, however, that it is all very subjective.

The things we LOVED about our Princess cruise:

The fact that it always felt very "intimate". We never felt like we were being corralled like cattle anywhere.

Our entire week we kept discovering neat little places to hang out on the ship. You will hear lots of people complain about the set up of the Princess ships, in that it is too difficult to find your way around. We actually preferred it. We were NEVER bored. There seemed to be always some new nook, or bar, or place to explore on board.

Yes I will admit, we played shuffle board. However, we were both pretty drunk, and I kicked my hubbies but, so it is a really pleasant memory for me. :D

We loved the classes you can take on board. We learned to Salsa dance, (aye ca-rumba!) and did a wine tasting (very informative).

The sky-walkers lounge was fun too, but anywhere my husband gets drunk enough to do the "Watoosy" on the dance floor becomes a great party.

The things we found a little lacking for us:

The shows. I suppose "Vegas style shows" are a bit of an acquired taste. Perhaps if you are "Friends of Dorothy" it will be right up your alley (LOL just teasing :D) We just weren't into them.

The only other thing I could find to be a bit of a negative was the "organization". Being first time cruisers, we found ourselves confused sometimes as to what we were supposed to be doing when. (Excursions and drills and such)

In retrospect, I think that may have had something to do with the seasickness patches combined with the steady stream of alcohol.

I know that you guys will have a fantastic time!

I am 35 and have sailed Princess for 6 or 7 years and prefer it to RCCL. On RCCL - we have had so many problems with kids out of control - I just don't have a desire to go back to RCCL.

I think you will be happy with Princess. The food is better and the pools are fresh water.

What month are you going - this will affect the age range on either line? If you mention March - there will be tons of young people, in early December - more older group.

If you were single and looking to meet/hang out with other single people in that age bracket I'd suggest another cruise line or perhaps a singles oriented cruise. But as a couple? I think you'll find there to be plenty of other couples in the mid twenties to late thirties age group.

Guest Host Tink

Not wanting to be intrusive but I wanted to add that there is usually a FOD get together at some point on each cruise too. Sometimes several get togethers over the week.

You will have a great time!!!

What is and FOD get together?

You won't feel out of age with the Princess crowd...and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time...

Try sailing the Celebrity Horizon (which we did a few years back)..... I just turned 50, my wife is 49...and we were the babies on that ship! (no offense to the Horizon cruisers). We still had a blast on the Horizon and would do it again....

When you're cruising (especially your first cruise), you really don't spend a lot of time thinking about the ages of the crowd.

Was Judy Garland gay????

Don't know the answer to that but as I understand it she was and is admired by many in the gay community. I think "friend of Dorothy" has become fairly common as a commonly understood and accepted euphimism for "gay".

Just as "friend of Bill" or "friend of Bill W" has a specific meaning of its own. On the CB there were meetings both for "friends of Dorothy" and for "friends of Bill W" (Google "Bill Wilson" and you'll figure it out).

Not that it matters.... but I am a "friend of Bill" and not a "friend of Dorothy". And I didn't make it to a single daily meeting on the CB - 8:00 AM is way too early when I'm on vacation!

Perhaps someone who really knows will answer, but I always thought that Friends of Dorothy have to do with Somewhere Over the Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz............since the Rainbow seems to be a beloved symbol of many gay gatherings. We have happened to be in different cities during the date of an annual Gay Pride parade, and many of the floats visualize a rainbow. By the way, if you are ever in a city during this occasion, and have a view from your hotel room, the parades are fantastic!

Google always comes through...

from http://www.mask.org.za

"Colour has long played an important role in our community's expression of pride. In Victorian England, for example, the colour green was associated with homosexuality. The colour purple (or, more accurately, lavender) became popularized as a symbol of pride in the late 1960's; a frequent post-Stonewall catchword for the gay community was "Purple Power." But the most colourful of our symbols is the Rainbow Flag, and its rainbow of colours - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple - represents the diversity of our

Community.

The first Rainbow Flag was designed in 1978 by Gilbert Baker, a San Francisco artist, who created the flag in response to a local activist's call for the need of a community symbol. Using the five-striped "Flag of the Race" as his inspiration, Baker designed a flag with eight stripes: Pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. According to Baker, those colours represented, respectively: Sexuality, life, healing, sun, nature, art, harmony, and spirit."

and from http://www.minnesotamonthly.com

"Garland’s appeal to gay men is as complicated as it is legendary. The gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender magazine the Advocate once called Garland “an Elvis for homosexuals.” And in more closeted times, gay men referred to themselves as “friends of Dorothy” as a sort of secret handshake. Why? Well, first, Garland liked gay men—in fact, according to several of her biographers, she married two of them. In later years, Garland often performed at gay piano bars, and her concerts were popular gay meeting places. Her combination of vulnerability and strength resonated with gay men of the 1950s and ’60s, the paradoxes and secrecy in her life mirroring the double lives they themselves were forced to live. There was a little bit of Dorothy, the girl who just wanted to live in Technicolor, in every gay man forced to tone down his true self. Garland doesn’t strike as strong a chord with today’s young gays, but older generations haven’t forgotten. Judyfest isn’t Will & Grace territory, it’s The Birdcage: carefully trimmed mustaches, robust gold bracelets, and a dapper hint of cologne wafting around the ruby slippers."

It appears that the connection ("rainbow flag" and "Over The Rainbow") is coincidental.

Getting back to the subject, Roger75, my husband and I, in our late 40s (the reaction here should be: Marly, nooo, you're in your 40s? You don't look a day over 39! :))have been on the CB four times. I do have to tell you in all honesty, last December the ship was filled with an elderly crowd! I don't know if it was a freak thing that all the nursing homes let out at once, or what, but they seemed to be traveling the month of December. And let me tell you, they didn't mellow with age!

Now, don't get me wrong, we still had a great time, but we found we had to overlook a lot of negativity from our fellow passengers. If you are cruising in December, you may want to rethink going on any ship leaving out of Florida.

By the way, we opted for a cruise out of Puerto Rico this December.

Marly

Hi Roger,

We booked our 1st Princess cruise a few months back and had alot of the same questions as you. I posted a poll to kind of get a feel for the age range:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5114191#post5114191

We love RCI but really fell in love with the itinerary Princess had and felt that it's time to experience something else.

Happy sailing and make sure to let us know what you choose.

Cheers,

T-Bird

I don't want to offend anyone on the boards, but I'm starting to question if I made the right decision in choosing Princess as my first cruise experience. Myself and my partner (I'm 30 and he's 33) have never taken a cruise and decided at the last minute to choose the Caribbean Princess and the 7 night Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We compared this with the RCI Voyager of the Seas and since we were looking to save $$$, we chose the CB because it saved us a little bit of money. However, now that I've been reading the Royal Caribbean boards I'm wondering if we made the right decision in chosing Princess for our first cruise. We get along wonderfully with people of any age, I just don't want us to feel like we're obviously in the minority and not enjoy this vacation. Is it irrational to think this way? Any feedback is welcome.

Marly, you'll love cruising out of Puerto Rico in December!!! Take it from this over the hill 60 year old. We were by far the oldest people on the Adventure of the Seas. 2/3 of all passengers were under twelve, I think, and their parents were most of the rest of the passengers.

(The above is absolutely true, and I just couldn't resist posting.........):)

Go, enjoy! I'm 33, wife is 27. We've cruised Princess 3 times (Star, Grand, Diamond) and RCI once (AOS). We liked RCI, but our future cruises will be on Princess unless RCI has a really attractive itinerary (like anything with Aruba in it!).

Greg

Thanks for all the replies. I always second guess myself on all decisions. If I would have booked the RCI cruise, I would have wondered if I should have went with Carnival ;) For those who asked previously, we'll be on the Nov. 26 sailing (week after Thanksgiving). Have heard about the FOD meetings and don't know if that will be the "piano bar" crowd or not. FOD is an outdated term anyway. Most younger gay men do NOT listen to Judy Garland. They should change the term to FOM (Friends of Madonna!). Anyway, thanks to all who gave their input. I'll have to come back on the boards after the cruise to share my opinion afterwards.

Archived