Wind Surf vs. Star/Spirit

CajunLiner

I never sailed SURF but have done STAR and SPIRIT.

I too am wary of SURF as I wonder if the small ship ambience is lost...

and I have a lil' trouble getting over the Club Med stigma :o

Any veterans w/comment????

aka bump ....

We did a back to back in the Med last year and enjoyed the windsurf. The crew knew you by first name from day 2 on. They brought the orange juice without asking and remembered that my wife started breakfast with a 1/2 cup of coffee.

We enjoyed it and wil go again. The suites on the windsurf are actually 2 cabins with the connecting wall removed. That means you have 2 of everything including a bathroom.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been on Wind Surf, so I can't compare them. While I'm sure there is a little different feel as the others are half the size, I certainly thought it was intimate. The staff were fantastic and they go to know us very quickly. We did have a BBQ on deck one afternoon. I'm not sure if it is something different on the other ships.

I can't imagine you would be risking a great vacation by trying Wind Surf.

I have sailed on the Star, the Spirit and the Surf many times and I confess to preferring the two smaller ships for the reasons already noted. That said, comparing these magnificent ships is a bit like comparing champagnes...they're all great for different reasons.

For example, The Surf has a better marina; if you like water sports activities you're more likely to get opportunities to use the sailboats and other toys because the Surf has FOUR Sports coordinators, not just TWO as you will find on the Spirit and the Star.

Captain BJ mentioned the stigma of the old Club Med ship. In fact, there is very little resemblance to the old Club Med ship. One would be hard pressed to recognize anything from the interior. Windstar has truly remade and totally outfitted the Surf's interior in a high quality style; she represents an entirely different standard than Club Med.

In the past 24 months, we have taken two cruises over ten days long on the Surf and find her a more comfortable spacious ship than either the Spirit or the Star. She has elevators too - which has been known to be popular with older cruisers. I prefer the intimacy of the two smaller ships as well as the deck side BBQs - So either way, take your choice!

Archived