Caribbean shore excursions - beaches

Dixiebelle13

Hi all, finally booked a Caribbean cruise on Britannia for January next year. Thanks to everybody that answered my request for advice on booking - I eventually took the plunge and booked through an agent and happy with my decision.

I realise it's a year away but starting to do some research. My last Caribbean cruise was also my first cruise and I felt I was unprepared and didn't get the most out what the ports of call had to offer. Visiting quite a few different ones this time around too which is great.

Had a look at some of the excursions P&O offer and quite a few incorporate a visit to 'a beach'. When the trips become available to book, does anybody know if they will specify which beach?

In the Caribbean there is certainly no advantage in booking an expensive ship excursion. There are some excellent local operators who get good reviews on here, or you can easily get a trip or taxi at the dock.

Have a look on the Port's of Call threads for where you are stopping and Tripadvisor.

The problem with P&O shore excursions is they normally have upwards of 30-40 people which is far too many. If you are looking for a fabulous trip, look at http://www.sailcalabaza.com which is a 5 hour catamaran trip in Barbados which includes lunch with a maximum of 12 passengers - highly recommended, check it out on Tripadviser.

Edited by mickey89

In the Caribbean there is certainly no advantage in booking an expensive ship excursion. There are some excellent local operators who get good reviews on here, or you can easily get a trip or taxi at the dock.

Have a look on the Port's of Call threads for where you are stopping and Tripadvisor.

On the other hand some trips such as the St Kitts train can only be booked via a ship excursion. Not a hard and fast rule but generally I wouldn't book a water based trip via a local operator, the condition of the vessel for one reason and getting marooned away from the ship for another.

As for Island trips and beach excursions then I agree plenty available at the port.

Somerset Cruiser

When we went to St Kitts e booked an island tour with Pereira Tours in a modern, air conditioned mini bus and a very smart driver/ guide. We had a very enjoyable day.

Before we went on the cruise I had looked at the train and as you say, they allocate seats to the cruise lines. We were glad we hadn't booked it as the people at our dinner party weren't that impressed. Since then, I'm sure I found somewhere it was possible to book it, but as we had no plans to go I didn't pursue it.

We were in the Caribbean last November, when we went to the beach we just got off the ship used a local taxi for both transport and advice as to which beach to go to, most beaches we used you paid for the sun bed and umbrella, 1 this included a beer/drink each, the taxi's both land and water you pay per person per trip (not return)

all came back to collect us at the agreed time and pick up point.

Thanks everybody for the replies... I understand we can just get a taxi to the beach but was thinking more of the excursions that combine something else with a trip to a beach included. I'd want to know which beach before I could decide if it was an attractive option. I'd be a little wary of booking a tour with a private company as on my last Caribbean cruise we had 2 schedule changes.

We have normally not paid for our Caribbean trips until we have arrived there, although we have pre booked. In St Maarten we docked on a different day, but Bernard's Tours just put on the day we were there.

It all needs a bit of research, but is very easy to organise.

Edited by LondonTowner

Thanks everybody for the replies... I understand we can just get a taxi to the beach but was thinking more of the excursions that combine something else with a trip to a beach included. I'd want to know which beach before I could decide if it was an attractive option. I'd be a little wary of booking a tour with a private company as on my last Caribbean cruise we had 2 schedule changes.

Depends which islands you are going to, but on Jamaica we did a tour with Courtney Taylor Tours which include river tubing, time at a beach, lunch at an authentic restaurant and shopping. They are very flexible though and will adjust the options and the length of time spent on each to what you want, for instance you can visit Dunn's River Falls instead of the tubing, or the Blue Hole, go horse riding on the beach, etc. etc. Posh air-con SUV, supply of cold drinks (for a small charge), fantastic fun, knowledgeable driver (Carlton).

On Antigua we used Scenic Tours, which offer an island tour (Shirley Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, rainforest etc.) to which you can add a beach break (we didn't). Again smart, clean, air con SUV and wonderful driver (Hudson).

St Maarten - Twin Island Tours - tour of Dutch and French sides, all the sites, shopping/lunch in Marigot, beach stop at Orient Beach.

I think they are used to cruise ships changing itineraries. IIRC we just had to pay a small deposit for Scenic and Twin Island, balance paid in cash to driver. Very reasonable and much cheaper than ship's tours. Maybe you could get together with some people from your roll call to keep the price down.

If you can determine a specific sight seeing option or visit to a local afternoon tea place set in an idyllic location. You can normally get a taxi driver to price you a cost to there (assuming you can accurately name it) wait for you, take you to a beach (they know the best places) and collect you after a few or several hours.

Regards John