How to go to the baths on your own?

gl339

another question. We originally were thinking of doing the baths when our ship landed in St. Thomas, but the private boat owner we were considering hiring said we would have to go through customs and pay $50. We have since figured out that Tortola is much closer, why not wait till this day to see the baths....So i am just curious, because we are already docked in Tortola, getting off the ship isn't an issue? I can't imagine they want $50, what about going through customs, what about a passport? We have a member in our group that doesn't have a passport. Is this a problem in Tortola at all?

St Thomas is US, thats why they want the passport to go to another island that isn't US.

Yes getting to the Baths from STT is not a viable option for day visitors due to the distance from your cruise port. The Baths on Virgin Gorda are easily accessible from Tortola, even with the 7 - 3 port times.

another question. We originally were thinking of doing the baths when our ship landed in St. Thomas, but the private boat owner we were considering hiring said we would have to go through customs and pay $50. We have since figured out that Tortola is much closer, why not wait till this day to see the baths....So i am just curious, because we are already docked in Tortola, getting off the ship isn't an issue? I can't imagine they want $50, what about going through customs, what about a passport? We have a member in our group that doesn't have a passport. Is this a problem in Tortola at all?

St Thomas is a US virgin island; tortola and virgin gorda are both British Virgin Islands. So to go from st Thomas to tortola or virgin gorda takes u from the US to a British island and requires passports and customs. But since when you dock in tortola you are already in the British Virgin Islands. No need for a passport or customs to go to virgin gorda.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Can you reserve (And guarantee) a seat on the 12:40 ferry? It gives me anxiety to think of finding the ferry all full for the return trip! And I don't want anxiety on vacay!

You aren't able to reserve seats on any particular ferry. Don't stress; there are plenty of seats available. The 12:40 ferry didn't even pull up until about 12:38; we got back to the ferry dock w our taxi a little after 12. The 20ish people who were waiting boarded immediately at 12:38 and it pulled back out for its 12:40 departure.

No worries harvey. If it is a heavy passenger day there will be a reserve ferry to ensure everyone gets back.

Just get to the ferry line early (or at least not at the last minute) to assure a spot and a nice seat up top if nice weather.

Speedy's ferry is the only ferry that will work for your time in port. If you take just a moment to read a few of the other threads just below yours you'll find tons of details on this. Just walk 15 min to the ferry terminal in time for the 7:45 ferry. 30 minute ferry to Virgin Gorda marina near Spanishtown, taxis are lined up for the 5

NCL has their own boat... they do not use Speedy's ferry. By the way Speedy's fare includes the taxi transportation in Virgin Gorda.... just like NCL. Speedy has a senior discount for 65 and over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NCL uses the same docks and ferries, they just charter one for their customers. We were confused because when we got to the ferry port there was a speedy sale ferry there but they wouldn't let us board. The public ferry came a few minutes after the chartered ferry left.

Also, this is a bit misleading. Speedys offers a roundtrip ferry ticket for $30 that doesn't include anything. Still have to pay taxi and the baths fee. They also offer a ticket for $48 (I think) that includes the ferry, taxi, and lunch. We def didn't have time for lunch so went with the roundtrip ticket.

NCL has their own boat... they do not use Speedy's ferry. By the way Speedy's fare includes the taxi transportation in Virgin Gorda.... just like NCL. Speedy has a senior discount for 65 and over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Cruising ... our happy place! Gonna try this again, was unable to quote or post yesterday on this thread. I'm looking for info on this. Online has info, but dated. I read Speedy's round trip pp was $30 and cab roughly $4 pp each way. We are seniors so interested in discount and also a combo fare to include cab, if there is one. Is all this cash only or does Speedy's take credit cards? Also read to catch 7:45a.m. ferry and 12:40p.m. back. If we miss 7:45 and catch the next one, how often do they run and will we still have time to enjoy the Baths and get back in time for the 12:40? Thanx .. hope this posts!

Hi Cruising ... our happy place! Gonna try this again, was unable to quote or post yesterday on this thread. I'm looking for info on this. Online has info, but dated. I read Speedy's round trip pp was $30 and cab roughly $4 pp each way. We are seniors so interested in discount and also a combo fare to include cab, if there is one. Is all this cash only or does Speedy's take credit cards? Also read to catch 7:45a.m. ferry and 12:40p.m. back. If we miss 7:45 and catch the next one, how often do they run and will we still have time to enjoy the Baths and get back in time for the 12:40? Thanx .. hope this posts!

Here are the schedules:

To get to virgin gorda:

0e2e449cde185f159fd8e374ff6aa871.jpg

To return to tortola:

2f323387b7ec61532bef849acc0ec144.jpg

The only combo fare I know of them offering is $48 for the ferry, taxi, and lunch in Spanish town. Prob is that going to Spanish town for lunch is a bit out of the way. It's $30 pp roundtrip for ferry, $8 pp roundtrip for taxi and entry for baths was $2 pp (I think!); so total cost DIY is $40 pp. no senior discounts offered.

We were on a different cruise itinerary and took the 9:00 ferry over (though for some reason thought it was scheduled for 8:45), and the 12:40 back and that was just enough time to do the baths.

Edited by sanger727

Info in other threads is current. Ferry cost is $30pp round trip for adults. They also offer a ferry/taxi combo on VG for the same price you would pay individually, and a ferry/taxi/lunch and drink package that includes the lunch at the Baths & Turtle in Spanishtown. That is a perfect spot to stop for a bite (whether you but the Speedy's combo or not) and shop as you can walk back to the ferry from there if no major mobility issues.

The ideal ferry times depend on your time in port. If on the NCL 7 - 3 port time yes, you need the 7:45 to make the day worthwhile (that would give you almost 4 hrs of free time in VG), and you definitely need the 12:40 return. The ferries are very regular and you won't be left behind, but plan on being back at the Virgin Gorda ferry dock a little early.

Thanx Sanger727 and Blue Water, appreciate the info. We don't care about the lunch and will certainly do our best on that 7:45a.m. ferry! Also, is this all cash or does Speedy take credit cards .... wondering what to take. Thanx!

Thanx Sanger727 and Blue Water, appreciate the info. We don't care about the lunch and will certainly do our best on that 7:45a.m. ferry! Also, is this all cash or does Speedy take credit cards .... wondering what to take. Thanx!

They take credit cards. We walked off the ship at 8:26 and made a 8:45 ferry; if you are ready to go by the time the ship docks you won't have trouble making the 7:45 ferry.

Yes but I would always take enough cash to cover my day, as network services can be down and I wouldn't want to have to make alternate last minute plans on the off chance.

RT ferry is $20 for 65 + yrs young, and the $8pp RT taxi on VG is the 3-person or group rate. If two go on their own to explore and head for the Baths later it's $5pp between most Valley points. But the drivers do work with you - I didn't see how long are you in port nut if a later departure you can make a nice day on VG and still have time to hit Sunny Caribbee on the walk back to the port, great little spice shop.

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

Enjoy your day!

Thanx Blue Water! Someone else said there was no senior discount. Good point on the cash/credit card thing, we will come prepared. We're an 'active' senior couple, do a lot of walking and hiking, etc. ... just slow getting going in the morning, but we'll try and make the 7:45a.m. for sure. Ship docks at 7 and leaves at 3 so that 12:40 ferry back is a must. Still hope to have a little time to poke around in the Village before boarding the ship tho! :)

Yes but I would always take enough cash to cover my day, as network services can be down and I wouldn't want to have to make alternate last minute plans on the off chance.

RT ferry is $20 for 65 + yrs young, and the $8pp RT taxi on VG is the 3-person or group rate. If two go on their own to explore and head for the Baths later it's $5pp between most Valley points. But the drivers do work with you - I didn't see how long are you in port nut if a later departure you can make a nice day on VG and still have time to hit Sunny Caribbee on the walk back to the port, great little spice shop.

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

Enjoy your day!

Huh, we asked for senior rate and it was the same price.... don't know, weird.

We were buying one way tickets though, so maybe that's why...

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Baths on our own on 3/29 using Speedy's. We took the 7:45 ferry, but there were not enough seats for everyone and they left some people behind. The ferry they used at 7:45 was a smaller sized ferry compared to the ferry we had coming back, but we did not know there would be a larger ferry.

The next ferry isn't until 9:00. The rate included taxi service using Speedy's taxis. The price for a family of 2 adults and 2 children came to $132. The breakdown is $30 per adult, $20 per child for the ferry, $4 each way per person for the taxi. You get laminated generic tickets for the ferry-2 per person for there and back (just because you have ferry tickets does not mean you will have a spot on the ferry, hence the generic tickets) and a wrist band for the taxi service.

When we arrived to the dock there weren't enough seats on the taxis for everyone and some people had to wait for the taxis to come back.

This situation of not enough room on the 7:45 boat and then not enough room on the taxis made us very nervous for our return trip. You have a choice of the 11:40 ferry or the 12:40 ferry. The next ferry isn't until 3:30. Our all aboard was 2:30 so this was not an option.

We were told to meet at the top of the Baths at 11:00 for the 11:40 or 12:00 for the 12:40. We decided to play it safe and go for the 11:40 ferry. We arrived to the top at about 10:55 and the taxi we saw wouldn't take us because it wasn't Speedy's. The Speedy's taxi arrived on time and we were on the ferry by 11:18. It turned out to be a much larger ferry for the return home and the 12:40 ferry was a large ferry as well (we watched it come in from Pussers). In hindsight I think we would have been fine to take the 12:40 ferry, but there were many others who came back on the 11:40 ferry because of our morning experience.

I would ask, if you chose the 12:40 ferry and you arrive to the top of the Baths by noon as requested, if you are guaranteed a spot on the ferry. Based on our experience that morning we were just a little in shock and didn't think of asking that question and just decided to take the 11:40.

The plus side of taking the earlier ferry is that we had a lovely lunch with the very best Painkillers at Pussers, stopped at Sunny Caribbe for amazing spices (I wish I had bought more) and stopped at the little open air market and our daughter had her hair braided by an amazingly kind and thoughtful woman who called herself "Grandma."

The Baths are beautiful and it seemed like those of us who did it on our own got to explore with much more freedom than those on the ship tour, even with taking the earlier 11:40 ferry, but it would absolutely be better to visit this on an island trip when there are no ships in port (which I have done before and was a completely different experience). We loved our day, don't get me wrong, but in the future if we have Tortola as a port again I would look into a half day sail or stick to a Tortola beach.

Hi cookie,

Yes we would not buy the taxi passes from Speedy's because of the potential wait you might incur. The taxi fare is exactly the same when you pay the driver yourself, and you can take any taxi.

And agree that doing the Baths on a non-ship day is a more enjoyable experience. But folks here want to be able to experience them while there on a cruise, and by going on your own (when your port times allow) you can have a nice day.

Thanks for your report!

Hi cookie,

Yes we would not buy the taxi passes from Speedy's because of the potential wait you might incur. The taxi fare is exactly the same when you pay the driver yourself, and you can take any taxi.

And agree that doing the Baths on a non-ship day is a more enjoyable experience. But folks here want to be able to experience them while there on a cruise, and by going on your own (when your port times allow) you can have a nice day.

Thanks for your report!

Agreed-it was a lovely day, just felt very rushed.

Question for you-when we got off the 7:45 ferry there were only Speedy's taxis (2 of them) there at the dock. Is there a different place to get a different taxi?

No, all taxis would the right there at the ferry dock. We've only been there when no cruise ships were in port and there were several smaller 6 - 8 passenger safari taxis to meet the ferry. So perhaps the Speedy's ferries only come when there are ships in port, not sure. I didn't realize Speedy's had "Speedy's" taxis, I thought the taxi voucher they sold would be accepted by any taxi but that's not the case apparently...