POA-Deck 11 or 9 Balcony.Port or Starboard

Yehootu

Daughter planning honeymoon on POA. She has a 9th floor cabin 9066 booked, Starboard. I've read here previously for the Nawiliwili coast tour as well as "if" the ship is able to do the volcano run, starboard was the best for balcony viewing. She was also wanting t know about the balcony rooms on the 11th deck.

As for the pick a package, I suggested Gratuities. They aren't big foodies and will be renting a car on Maui as well as Kauai.

Thanks for any help. Her bills are driving me nuts, now this.

Mahalo

IMHO: Gratuities is a good choice. Balcony in Hawaii bad choice, especially for honeymooners. They will be in ports and off the ship everyday so a balcony is a total waste of money. In the evening when they aren't in their room they will be at dinner or at a show or at some venue. In the evenings when they're back in their room, they won't be on the balcony. 😄

We just got home from POA. Great cruise!

My suggestion is to switch to an aft cabin for approx $100 to $150 more (over the wake of the ship) this way you will get great view's of the Napali Coast (viewing time is 5:30 to 5:45 pm) as well as the lava (viewing approx 9:30).

Lava is starboard and Napali is portside.

You want cabins above and below you to lessen noise as much as possible.

Cabin 9066 is a joining cabin, so unless you have this because you have friends/relatives on the other side is great but if you booked it for no reason you could run into noise coming through from adjoining cabin.

We have done this cruise 4 times all b2b and all on deck 9 aft, choice of cabin would be 9202/9702.

I would go for grats.

As for deck 11 I have no comment.

Edited by FranknBeans

IMHO: Gratuities is a good choice. Balcony in Hawaii bad choice, especially for honeymooners. They will be in ports and off the ship everyday so a balcony is a total waste of money. In the evening when they aren't in their room they will be at dinner or at a show or at some venue. In the evenings when they're back in their room, they won't be on the balcony. 😄

I believe there are two cruises that balconies are must Hawaii and Alaska.

But it boils down to budget and priorities. We prefer to not have to get up to upper decks for viewing early in order to get a spot.

Daughter planning honeymoon on POA. She has a 9th floor cabin 9066 booked, Starboard. I've read here previously for the Nawiliwili coast tour as well as "if" the ship is able to do the volcano run, starboard was the best for balcony viewing. She was also wanting t know about the balcony rooms on the 11th deck.

As for the pick a package, I suggested Gratuities. They aren't big foodies and will be renting a car on Maui as well as Kauai.

Thanks for any help. Her bills are driving me nuts, now this.

Mahalo

Well, from 9066 on the Starboard side she will totally miss the NaPali Coast as the ship will turn and head way out before turning Starboard side toward the coast. By that time the ship will be quite some distance from the shore and it will be nearly dark. Of course they can always do their afternoon coast viewing from a public deck. But I'd just switch to Port side. The Na Pali sail by is hours long and is a "for sure". The volcano viewing is a maybe IF there is an active flow in that direction. It's full dark and you see a red glow in the far distance.

Good location on the 9th floor near elevators/stairs and with cabins above and below. 11th deck seems to open onto the pool deck which they may like, but I'd worry about whether there are public decks over these cabins which may be a noise issue. If they sleep like the dead, no problem. Also I see that 9066 looks like it might be an adjoining cabin. Sound insulation through these inside doors is sometimes pretty lacking. Maybe not the best choice for a honeymooning couple.;).

Are they not paying for their own honeymoon? If not, then get them an inside cabin. They will be in port every single day, with a couple overnights. What do they need a balcony for? There is lots of nice deck space in the public areas. The dinner packages are a big savings over buying 2 or 3 a la carte dinners at some of the pay restaurants. They are much more intimate and romantic for a honeymoon than the big MDR or a buffet. I'd go for that if you think they will "dine out" 2 or more times.

Mahalo for all the advise.

My little Princess was born and raised in Honolulu till she was 6. Her meal of choice will be Sushi and Poke while they are in port. Doubt she'll use the onboard specialty restaurants.

A balcony is a must as I've spoiled the little brat and after the wedding cost she can foot the bill for whatever she desires on the ship. Room 9550 is what I advised switching to. She's sailed in an aft room and prefers to be on either side. Aft is the preference, but looks like deck 9 has only fwd avail in cheapest balcony.

They'll either have rental car in Maui and Kauai, or a friends. She's been up and down the Hamakua coast with me doing waterfall tours and hiking. Anyone have a good volcano tour company. Not sure if that's her choice, but never hurts to ask.

This cruise is a must do as she is a nurse and by her account, there's Zika everywhere else and Alaska is too cold for a bikini, plus she has use of our house on Oahu.